Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Shirley Booth as SOTM

NipkowDisc

I would love to see a tribute to Shirley Booth, but I'm not sure if there are enough movies with her to support a Star Of The Month tribute.

One movie I'd like to see on TCM is THE MATCHMAKER, based on the play by Thormnton Wilder and the basis for the musical HELLO, DOLLY!

Shirley Booth played Dolly Levi. Anthony Perkins is also in THE MATCHMAKER.

This movie has aired on PBS before, but I don't think it's ever aired on TCM. 

• Like 1

There were actually only four major films, all of them for Paramount, which always seems to be a problem when it comes to booking movies for TCM. In the fifth film she played herself, along with a bunch of other Broadway actors, so it's really a cameo.

Shirley MacLaine and Robert Morse were also in "The Matchmaker", early in their careers.  You're right that it would be a great addition to TCM. For some reason I think I remember Robert O. doing an intro, but my brain often gets cloudy.

I adore her and wish she'd been called upon to do more films. I wonder if part of the problem was that even as a younger woman she seemed a little matronly, fine for the stage where there's a long tradition of "mature" actresses, but not the norm for films.

Perhaps TCM could have SHIRLEY BOOTH as a 'Star of the Evening' cos there ain't even close to enough movies to fill a 'SOTM' tribute.  

Perhaps Turner Classic could locate a copy of "The Smugglers" (1968-Tvm), which starred Shirley.  (Also starring Carol Lynley, Gayle Hunnicutt, Michael J. Pollard and directed by Norman Lloyd, who's still among us at 100). 

Booth appeared in five films in the 1950s and a few TV movies ... probably nowhere near enough for a SOTN but enough for a Summer Under the Stars tribute....

Not enough for a SUTS all-day tribute.  It would be easier (and better) if they did a double-feature one evening and had a Shirley Booth primetime spotlight. That would be do-able.

I would love to see a tribute to Shirley Booth, but I'm not sure if there are enough movies with her to support a Star Of The Month tribute.

Right, there aren't enough. In this case, we have quality but not quantity.

Also, this is just another HOT SPELL thread, and I'm surprised everyone is falling for it again. Oy vey.

Right, there aren't enough. In this case, we have quality but not quantity.

Also, this is just another HOT SPELL thread, and I'm surprised everyone is falling for it again. Oy vey.

What does that mean?

No idea. I think it was out on VHS in the 70s or 80s because I've seen it. Booth appears as herself, along with a lot of the Broadway stars of the time. This was an indie production although released by MGM.

Her other films are Paramount releases.

No idea. I think it was out on VHS in the 70s or 80s because I've seen it. Booth appears as herself, along with a lot of the Broadway stars of the time. This was an indie production although released by MGM.

Her other films are Paramount releases.

Oh, okay. I thought MAIN STREET TO BROADWAY was an MGM production, since it had some MGM contract stars in it--both Lionel & Ethel Barrymore in it, as well as Agnes Moorehead. It seems to have vanished from sight and I don't think it has ever had a TCM broadcast. I'm curious/eager to see it.

As with Hot Spell and probably almost all of the films that were released years ago on VHS, there are copies of it floating around. Hysterically, there's a VHS on Amazon for only $99.95.

My guess is that there are DVDs from the old VHS out there.

I would say this:  Even though this thread is merely an excuse to drop the name of 'HOT SPELL' back in to the mix, it doesn't have to stay fixated on it.  There's all sorts of directions any thread can go.  Some of them go off the rails and get 'locked', but not very many. 

► I figure NipkowDisc has it all planned out someday when he croaks:  He'll have a friend film the funeral proceedings and call it 'HOT CREMATORIUM'. 

~Amen~

One movie I'd like to see on TCM is THE MATCHMAKER, based on the play by Thormnton Wilder and the basis for the musical HELLO, DOLLY!

Shirley Booth played Dolly Levi. Anthony Perkins is also in THE MATCHMAKER.

This movie has aired on PBS before, but I don't think it's ever aired on TCM. 

They have shown The Matchmaker. But it's a very rare occurance.......

They have shown The Matchmaker. But it's a very rare occurance.......

THE MATCHMAKER is in heavy rotation on Retroplex. It airs two or three times per month. Retroplex airs many Paramount classics from the 50s & 60s (usually the A films made in VistaVision). 

I had to look her up.

My first familiarity with Shirley Booth was as HAZEL, the maid of Don DeFore in the TV show.  One of my favorites when growing up, I delighted in some( and too few) movies she made in her past.

She apparently did much more stage work( far more stage appearances than film) and I read somewhere SHE made her stage debut opposite Humphrey Bogart!

What a way to start a career!

I'd like to see some sort of tribute, actually, you COULD show all of her movies in one night!  I could live with that.

Sepiatone

HAWT SPELL ain't bein' shown on any cable station anywhere.   

Looks like these movies are 'it' for Shirley Booth's filmography; just thought I'd type them all out here in one place.

Come Back, Little Sheba (1952) 99m. 

Main Street to Broadway (1953) 102m. (Cameo as Herself)

About Mrs. Leslie (1954) 104m.  

Matchmaker, The (1958) 101m.

Hot Spell (1958) 86m.  In glorious VistaVision!

Smugglers, The (1968-Tvm) C-97m.

I wonder what memories (from this life, that is) Shirley MacLaine might recall of Shirley Booth.  I figure they must have spent some time together as both of Shirley Booth's movies from 1958 co-star Shirley MacLaine.      

HAWT SPELL ain't bein' shown on any cable station anywhere.   

Looks like these movies are 'it' for Shirley Booth's filmography; just thought I'd type them all out here in one place.

Come Back, Little Sheba (1952) 99m. 

Main Street to Broadway (1953) 102m. (Cameo as Herself)

About Mrs. Leslie (1954) 104m.  

Matchmaker, The (1958) 101m.

Hot Spell (1958) 86m.  In glorious VistaVision!

Smugglers, The (1968-Tvm) C-97m.

I wonder what memories (from this life, that is) Shirley MacLaine might recall of Shirley Booth.  I figure they must have spent some time together as both of Shirley Booth's movies from 1958 co-star Shirley MacLaine.      

Clearly NOT enough for Star of the Month,  well unless TCM gets Hot Spell and shows it 4 times per day,  each day, for a full month!

Yea,  that's the ticket.   :blink:

• Like 1

Clearly NOT enough for Star of the Month,  well unless TCM gets Hot Spell and shows it 4 times per day,  each day, for a full month!

Booth also starred in a TV movie of The Glass Menagerie

I'm for it! at least as many times as The Third Man. :lol:

I would say this: Even though this thread is merely an excuse to drop the name of 'HOT SPELL' back in to the mix, it doesn't have to stay fixated on it. There's all sorts of directions any thread can go. Some of them go off the rails and get 'locked', but not very many.

► I figure NipkowDisc has it all planned out someday when he croaks: He'll have a friend film the funeral proceedings and call it 'HOT CREMATORIUM'.

~Amen~

TCM could feasibly have Booth featured for SOTM, in a month with several performers, where none have enough credits by themselves, not enough even for SUTS. James Dean could also be included. They could each have one night.
  • Like 1

In November 2014 TCM presented SILENT STARS OF THE MONTH and featured a bunch of stars who probably don't have enough films available for a month-long salute: Gloria Swanson, Marion Davies, Rudolph Valentino, Norma Talmadge, Constance Talmadge, Wallace Reid among them.

TCM could feasibly have Booth featured for SOTM, in a month with several performers, where none have enough credits by themselves, not enough even for SUTS. James Dean could also be included. They could each have one night.

sure.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings