Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Gene Krupa Story (1959)

Just on screen but he's playing the drums in that crazy opening of Hollywood Hotel (1937) where Benny Goodman's orchestra is driving down the road playing in various autos. Krupa is on drums on a flatbed truck.

Although I do not care much for musicals, I do like music in film - especially big band swing and boogie woogie (now there is a term). My interest stems from my step-father, who was a big band drummer - he taught me to play around age 5 on his home kit.

I actually really like The Gene Krupa Story! I know a lot of people don't, but I really like it! I know it wasn't very historically accurate, but it was entertaining! I think Sal Mineo couldn've gone really far in Hollywood, if only he were afforded more opportunities; he was immensely talented!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Gene Krupa can also be seen in the nightclub scene in "Ball of Fire."

Watching Krupa in his prime was a factor in turning the young Bobby Darin toward show business. There's a big Darin-&-movies-&-music bit at bobbrakemanmovies.com (#521).

I will be featuring Gene Krupa in the Golden age roll call thread this week. Starting tomorrow, I'm doing a series called Classic Gene 101. I will probably use a photo of him and Stanwyck from BALL OF FIRE, because that's my favorite Krupa moment in the movies.

Kidd, I saw Buddy Rich too, when i was kid. very exciting as I aspired to making the drum sound myself. I believe he was playing with Harry James, does that sound right?

He played with Harry James in the mid-50s, earning $1500/week! The photo below could have been just about anywhere with a random group of musicians. I couldn't nail it down.

I could use some of that.

;)

Here's some more on the subject: HERE

Buddy Rich was a great drummer. I got a kick out of him saying that Peggy Lee could breathe more melodically than Madonna. Gotta say that Mineo did a pretty good job in the film with his drumming. In all I liked this take on Krupa although it was a bit whitewashed.

• Like 1