Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Technical help needed.

Arturo

Sorry if this is not the right forum, but I have a question. I just bought a new bluray/ dvd player, with the intention and understanding that I can play the Region 2 dvds manufactured for the European market. I was about to purchase a couple on amazon when I read that not only did I have to have the dvd player that plays these, but also a compatible tv. What is this, and how do I know if i have this tv? Anyone, thanks in advance.

What you need is multi-region player which most aren't. Your problem too is that Blu-Ray region codings are different from DVD region coding.  So if you mainly want to watch region 2 DVDs your best bet would be multi-region DVD player that upconverts to almost Blue-Ray quality. I have a couple of them and they work great and they weren't expensive and you won't need a special TV.

If you'll send me a PM, I'll point you in the right direction.

Many (if not most) new TVs will work with either Region 1 or Region 2 DVDs; but you do need the correct player, either a multi-standard; or two players. Another route to go is to use your computer. Computers as well are attuned to regions, but if you have a Mac without a DVD drive, you can get two Mac super drives, using one for NTSC, one for PAL (or just one for PAL).  And you can get a cable to connect the computer to your TV. I actually find that my Mac superdrive plays both NTSC and PAL, but I don't know why.

I do have a dedicated PAL DVD player, for British DVDs, but it does NOT play PAL blu-ray. These days, most of my PAL DVDs are things taped for me by friends from British television, but I also make purchases from Amazon.co.uk.