Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Too many at one time-Summer of Darkness

ElCid

I plan to enjoy the Summer of Darkness again in June and July, but there are too many movies one after the other.  It is hard to watch several hours of movies.

I don't have a DVR, but I do record to DVD-RW and then record over them.  Many times I record to DVD-R if I know I want to keep the movie.

In this case, it will be a lot of recording and then you have to choose to watch what you recorded vs. something showing now.  And end up with several DVD's, even at 3 movies per, waiting to be watched before you can use them again.

Could get a DVR, but this is only time of year I would actually need it.

Why doesn't TCM just spread these same movies throughout the year?  Or maybe two per day every three days or so? 

I plan to enjoy the Summer of Darkness again in June and July, but there are too many movies one after the other.  It is hard to watch several hours of movies.

I don't have a DVR, but I do record to DVD-RW and then record over them.  Many times I record to DVD-R if I know I want to keep the movie.

In this case, it will be a lot of recording and then you have to choose to watch what you recorded vs. something showing now.  And end up with several DVD's, even at 3 movies per, waiting to be watched before you can use them again.

Why doesn't TCM just spread these same movies throughout the year?  Or maybe two per day every three days or so? 

I so agree.

I don't have a DVR and no longer have the ooomph to record to my DVD player/recorder.

My question is why, especially in light of the ongoing online course, they don't make ALL of these movies available On Demand, at least for a week. Replacing the current crop of nothingness would be a welcome respite.

• Like 2

My question is why, especially in light of the ongoing online course, they don't make ALL of these movies available On Demand, at least for a week. Replacing the current crop of nothingness would be a welcome respite.

Agree with this.

QUESTION:  Who decides what shows On Demand?  For example, I have Charter and sometimes they have several TCM movies On Demand, sometimes just a few, sometimes only TCM specials and sometimes none at all.

Agree with this.

QUESTION:  Who decides what shows On Demand?  For example, I have Charter and sometimes they have several TCM movies On Demand, sometimes just a few, sometimes only TCM specials and sometimes none at all.

Not a clue. But in this, an important SofD, I wonder that thought wasn't given to all those (especially newbies to noir) who don't have all those hours in one day to watch all the movies. Or DVR them, or DVD them.

I'll have to see if Richard Edwards has an email, perhaps he can intercede on behalf of fans and students alike. 

Done. I'll let you know if he answers.

• Like 1

I think there's at most 2 or 3 premieres in the entire lot, but whoever did the programming did a fantastic job of mixing the very best of noirs with some of the more obscure ones.  There's not more than a tiny handful of clinkers in the entire carload.

And while I agree that it'd be nice to have them all available On Demand, I'd have two responses to that: 

---You can buy a cheap DVD recorder and put 6 hours worth of films on one disk for about 30 cents + the price of a jewel case.  Even if you don't like them, you're only going to be out chump change.  You spend more on a month's rent of a DVR box than you would on an average month's worth of DVD+R's.

---And 24 hours of noirs to many of us is a welcome respite from all those insipid "family fare" movies that usually dominate a high percentage of TCM's days. Musicals, animal movies, Andy Hardy tales, "adventure" films with colorful savages, and all those Breen romantic dramas that all have the same code-enforced righteous endings complete with wedding bells and women on the nest.  Just look at it as you would the weather:  If you don't like it, there's always the next day.

• Like 2

I so agree.

I don't have a DVR and no longer have the ooomph to record to my DVD player/recorder.

That's a great suggestion.

I would imagine that participants of the course do not all have DVRs either. So this seems like the logical solution.

I think there's at most 2 or 3 premieres in the entire lot, but whoever did the programming did a fantastic job of mixing the very best of noirs with some of the more obscure ones.  There's not more than a tiny handful of clinkers in the entire carload.

And while I agree that it'd be nice to have them all available On Demand, I'd have two responses to that: 

---You can buy a cheap DVD recorder and put 6 hours worth of films on one disk for about 30 cents + the price of a jewel case.  Even if you don't like them, you're only going to be out chump change.  You spend more on a month's rent of a DVR box than you would on an average month's worth of DVD+R's.

---And 24 hours of noirs to many of us is a welcome respite from all those insipid "family fare" movies that usually dominate a high percentage of TCM's days. Musicals, animal movies, Andy Hardy tales, "adventure" films with colorful savages, and all those Breen romantic dramas that all have the same code-enforced righteous endings complete with wedding bells and women on the nest.  Just look at it as you would the weather:  If you don't like it, there's always the next day.

I agree, Andy.

But if I have to walk away for any reason for any length of time, I'd like to have a resource to see what I missed in On Demand.

I agree, Andy.

But if I have to walk away for any reason for any length of time, I'd like to have a resource to see what I missed in On Demand.

Absolutely, especially since for most working people it's hard to see more than the two "prime time" films live on weeknights.

---You can buy a cheap DVD recorder and put 6 hours worth of films on one disk for about 30 cents + the price of a jewel case.  

There are only a few DVD recorders out there and none of them are "cheap."   A decent one costs about $300.  

Absolutely, especially since for most working people it's hard to see more than the two "prime time" films live on weeknights.

You said I was asking too much for them to be On Demand or spread out over more days, but now you agree they should be On Demand?  And most working people won't be able to see more than a couple?

There are only a few DVD recorders out there and none of them are "cheap."   A decent one costs about $300.  

I bought my Toshiba DVD recorder/player  for about $150 new nearly six years ago, and I've recorded well over 4000 movies on it without any breakdown other than the occasional power outage or disk failure.  It may not have all the bells and whistles (God, I hate that cliche), but other than not being able to record on a channel you're not tuned into, I can't think of any particular feature it's lacking.  And that $150 was recouped within a matter of weeks, making it a terrific bargain for any TCM junkie on a fixed income.

You said I was asking too much for them to be On Demand or spread out over more days, but now you agree they should be On Demand?  And most working people won't be able to see more than a couple?

Here's what I said in my first comment on the subject:

And while I agree that it'd be nice to have them all available On Demand....

Perhaps I should have emphasized that more strongly, but of course I think that these movies should be on the TCM streaming page.  I apologize if I seemed to indicate otherwise.

As for working people's choices, I said that they'd only be able to see the two prime time movies on most weeknights.  I based that on a 9 to 5 or 10 to 6 working day, with enough time allowed for dinner and sleep.  I can't see any other time frames during the course of a normal weekday where a working person could watch an entire movie uninterrupted.

A reminder about the Watch TCM feature on the Turner Classic Movies website. I wouldn't be surprised if a good percentage of the Summer of Darkness offerings will be available online every week.

"Why doesn't TCM just spread these same movies throughout the year?  Or maybe two per day every three days or so?"

TCM actually does show most of these films throughout the year, just not labeled under a particular series title as they are being currently presented.  You might want to print the title list and then watch for those you're interested in and can't record now to return in the coming weeks and months.

I especially recommend checking out tonight's premiere of the restored WOMAN ON THE RUN, and you might want to focus on seeing the other primetime films this summer, as they will be introduced by the knowledgeable and enthused Eddie Muller of the Film Noir Foundation.

I especially recommend checking out tonight's premiere of the restored WOMAN ON THE RUN, and you might want to focus on seeing the other primetime films this summer, as they will be introduced by the knowledgeable and enthused Eddie Muller of the Film Noir Foundation.

Yup. In my (not so) humble opinion, WOMAN ON THE RUN is June's main draw-- and in July, the big attraction is TOO LATE FOR TEARS. Both are premieres on TCM, made possible by this Friday spotlight on noir.

UPDATE: As of 2 pm. Friday (Eastern time), "La bête humaine (1938) and "M" (1931) are available on Watch TCM Movies on Demand.

Thanks, jakeem.

If I can get beyond that oh, don't go, honey, choke me some more scene, I might like the rest of it. 

Although I read about the ending on wikipedia, and guess this wasn't a pre-code. :angry:

Your right about DVD Recorders. They are hard to find. There is only one now the Magnavox and it is not cheap in dollars only in quality. $300.00 is about right on the price at Amazon and Walmart. It's not very good and not worth buying.

Yup. In my (not so) humble opinion, WOMAN ON THE RUN is June's main draw-- and in July, the big attraction is TOO LATE FOR TEARS. Both are premieres on TCM, made possible by this Friday spotlight on noir.

Just because a film is a TCM premiere doesn't mean it's good.

• Like 1

Just because a film is a TCM premiere doesn't mean it's good.

True. I think most people understand that. But we have heard very positive comments in advance of these two premieres-- leading us to believe that WOMAN ON THE RUN and TOO LATE FOR TEARS will not disappoint TCM's viewers.

UPDATE: As of 5 pm. Friday (Eastern time), "La bête humaine (1938), "M" (1931), "The Letter" (1940) and "Stranger on the Third Floor" (1940) are available on Watch TCM Movies on Demand.

Thanks jake! We appreciate these updates. 

Keep 'em coming! :)