Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Too many at one time-Summer of Darkness

ElCid

UPDATE: As of 6 a.m. Saturday (Eastern time), the following films were available on Watch TCM Movies on Demand:

List is misleading.  On Demand movies are different depending upon provider.  For Example:  Charter cable's TCM On Demand as of 8:45 AM ET, has ONE movie - wife, which is in Japanese.

Damn.

I was dog-tired last night and i dont have DVR. I had to quit after the first ten minutes, but i thought Ann was very good in what i saw: a lot more relaxed and interesting to watch than i usually find her.

Muller did a great job in the intro: they need to give him a regular gig at TCM already.

Muller did a great job in the intro: they need to give him a regular gig at TCM already.

Yes, and yes. Somebody needs to be put out to pasture. Ben and Muller would be dynamite together. I'm guessing the old horse holds the reigns at TCM.

Hope they replay it. It was an excellent movie, and a Phoenix to boot!

Your right about DVD Recorders. They are hard to find. There is only one now the Magnavox and it is not cheap in dollars only in quality. $300.00 is about right on the price at Amazon and Walmart. It's not very good and not worth buying.

Have a Toshiba DVR 620 unit that is very good.  Records DVD's and tapes and transfers from one to other.  Per Best Buy website, it is $220.  Less than I remember paying for it. I don't patronize Amazon due to its corporate policies.

Not a lot of demand for these units so don't expect to drop into store and find one on the shelf.  Very lengthy instructions as there is a lot you can do with them.

UPDATE: As of 9 a.m. Saturday (Eastern time), the following films were available on Watch TCM Movies on Demand:

1. "M" (1931).

2. "La bête humaine (1938).

3. "The Letter" (1940).

4. "Stranger on the Third Floor" (1940).

5. "High Sierra" (1941).

6. "The Maltese Falcon" (1941).

7. "Journey into Fear" (1942).

8. "Johnny Eager" (1942).

9. "Dark Passage" (1947).

10. "Nora Prentiss" (1947).

11. "Born to Kill" (1947).

12. "L.A. Confidential" (1997).

Have a Toshiba DVR 620 unit that is very good.  Records DVD's and tapes and transfers from one to other.  Per Best Buy website, it is $220.  Less than I remember paying for it. I don't patronize Amazon due to its corporate policies.

Not a lot of demand for these units so don't expect to drop into store and find one on the shelf.  Very lengthy instructions as there is a lot you can do with them.

Thought I still had a recorder/player but I don't, I only have a player.

Sony DVPSR510H DVD Player (Upscaling)

Price: $39.88 Free Shipping for Prime Members

Yes, and yes. Somebody needs to be put out to pasture. Ben and Muller would be dynamite together. I'm guessing the old horse holds the reigns at TCM.

Hope they replay it. It was an excellent movie, and a Phoenix to boot!

"Somebody needs to be put out to pasture" ????

@primosprimos

are you speaking of ROBERT Osborne?

If So, I do not understand WHY you would say such a thing... :(:angry:

• Like 1

@primosprimos

If So, I do not understand WHY you would say such a thing...

Not everyone is crazy about him. 

I go back and forth on my views about him. I respect him as being influential in his own way, but he is not deep enough for me-- and I abhor his gossipy and Oscar-obsessed approach to most film-related topics. Anybody can repeat rumors, long after the fact in this case; and anyone can recycle old Oscar trivia.

But mainly what sticks in my craw about Osborne is that he is paraded around as being some sort of expert historian and journalist. I do not consider him a real journalist (one who deals in facts, since a lot of his commentary about Hollywood history is based on hearsay or speculation). 

• Like 1

Not everyone is crazy about him. 

I go back and forth on my views about him. I respect him as being influential in his own way, but he is not deep enough for me-- and I abhor his gossipy and Oscar-obsessed approach to most film-related topics. Anybody can repeat rumors, long after the fact in this case; and anyone can recycle old Oscar trivia.

But mainly what sticks in my craw about Osborne is that he is paraded around as being some sort of expert historian and journalist. I do not consider him a real journalist (one who deals in facts, since a lot of his commentary about Hollywood history is based on hearsay or speculation). 

THANKS.

I understand Your points. I tend to not think of those things (perhaps on purpose) Maybe my admiration for him is an anchor, a face, and a 'comforting voice' that tells me a back story and a few unknown details of a film know or unknown to me. Teaching me tidbits of film, people, history or methods..

I first saw him/TCM in late 1990's;  then for 10 years living elsewhere, i missed him and TCM very much! 3years ago I once again had TCM and my gratitude was - perhaps.. an emotional experience that i alone felt.

Thank You for your enlightening points. Greatly appreciate your insights. and I get the issues you mentioned! Thanks!

• Like 1

THANKS.

I understand Your points. I tend to not think of those things (perhaps on purpose) Maybe my admiration for him is an anchor, a face, and a 'comforting voice' that tells me a back story and a few unknown details of a film know or unknown to me. Teaching me tidbits of film, people, history or methods..

I first saw him/TCM in late 1990's;  then for 10 years living elsewhere, i missed him and TCM very much! 3years ago I once again had TCM and my gratitude was - perhaps.. an emotional experience that i alone felt.

Thank You for your enlightening points. Greatly appreciate your insights. and I get the issues you mentioned! Thanks!

Welcome to the message boards.

Your points seem valid and enlightening, too. Maybe part of your attachment is because a cable host signifies a form of comfort TV for you. I'm just guessing, but that seems to be what you are saying. And there is nothing wrong with it. Ultimately, though, the face of TCM changes and the brand is best represented by classic film as a whole, not an individual person. 

In a way, we are seeing a cult of personalities on TCM, especially with regards to the channel's marketing. They rely heavily on "stars" to bring viewers in. Some of them are washed-up stars of yesteryear whose names may still have a recognition value. Also, we have Osborne and Mankiewicz as their in-house stars. Plus they bring in a lot of D-list stars to host their Friday Night spotlight series. After a point, however, they must realize it's the films themselves that people are tuning in to watch. Their programming is the real star, not the people sitting in the hosting seats.

@primosprimos

If So, I do not understand WHY you would say such a thing... :(:angry:

I don't like him. Never have. 

Not everyone needs to like everyone. You've noticed that here, have you not? :D I'm guessing that's how it is in the real world too.

I like Ben M., I liked Bob Dorian, and I liked Nick Clooney. I didn't like the young guy now relegated to commercials who replace Nick and Bob when AMC decided to modernize the place.

Oh, and I like all the color! Was that just for me? :lol:

THANKS.

Welcome to the boards. There are many here who share your appreciation for Mr. Osborne.

• Like 2

Welcome SynpaticWind. I've been lucky enough to me Mr. Osborne and he's a very nice person and has been following movies since he was a kid. Even before he got into journalism. He started out as an actor but he got into writing about film with the encouragement of Lucille Ball who was an early mentor.

Again, welcome to the boards.

• Like 1

List is misleading.  On Demand movies are different depending upon provider.  For Example:  Charter cable's TCM On Demand as of 8:45 AM ET, has ONE movie - wife, which is in Japanese.

The list refers to the Movies On Demand feature of Watch TCM, which is located on the TCM.com site -- not TV cable offerings.

I don't like him. Never have. 

Not everyone needs to like everyone. 

I figured you were not a fan of Osborne. Like I said, I go back and forth on him. He is not academic enough for my tastes (like a low-rent professor sometimes). But I can see how his charms come across and why he has fans.

The age thing doesn't bother me. A host can be 98 years old (or 19 years old) and still have something to offer.

THANKS.

SynapticWind,

First of all let me just say how nice it is to have you here at TCM City, THE place to discuss films from every decade!

My own feelings toward Robert Osborne and Ben Mankiewicz are that they are on TCM to provide an introduction to the films that we are all watching. Now in many cases the information that they are imparting can and often is info we have all heard of before, or some sort of gossipy info that only Robert Osborne has heard of or that they rec'd from a biography or other source material. In many cases the info is Oscar-related especially if the film rec'd any nominations and or won in any category or possibly the actors who appeared in the film may have been given or were nominated for Oscars.

It could have been some obscure tidbit of info that many fans many never have heard of. Again, their responsibility is to intro the film to the viewer. Many of TCM's viewers do not come here to the message boards to discuss films. In fact, I'd say that a very, very small % of TCM's overall viewers even know that this message board exists. And some of those folks who come here may or may not have any opinion of TCM's on-air hosts. So having said this, there could be a small group of posters here who do not care for the on air personalities and more important would rather have them replaced all together. Maybe not replaced but eliminated so that the films are shown without  any of the extra information being broadcast.

But in the case of TCM, I think it is vitally important to have their introductions to the films stay a part of TCM for now and the future. Eventually RO is going to retire and Ben may be the face of TCM. Or other possibly better equipped to introduce films. And this I think is valid. TCM is unique in that with the old AMC, they were one of a handful of movie channels that did this. Have someone come on before and after a film to discuss the film. To discontinue this practice may help alleviate concerns or objections some may have towards Osborne and Ben, but to others, especially newcomers to films, I think it would be wise to keep thses before and after commentaries going.

Just my humble opinion.

Rey (aka fxreyman)

• Like 4

SynapticWind,

First of all let me just say how nice it is to have you here at TCM City, THE place to discuss films from every decade!

My own feelings toward Robert Osborne and Ben Mankiewicz are that they are on TCM to provide an introduction to the films that we are all watching. Now in many cases the information that they are imparting can and often is info we have all heard of before, or some sort of gossipy info that only Robert Osborne has heard of or that they rec'd from a biography or other source material. In many cases the info is Oscar-related especially if the film rec'd any nominations and or won in any category or possibly the actors who appeared in the film may have been given or were nominated for Oscars.

It could have been some obscure tidbit of info that many fans many never have heard of. Again, their responsibility is to intro the film to the viewer. Many of TCM's viewers do not come here to the message boards to discuss films. In fact, I'd say that a very, very small % of TCM's overall viewers even know that this message board exists. And some of those folks who come here may or may not have any opinion of TCM's on-air hosts. So having said this, there could be a small group of posters here who do not care for the on air personalities and more important would rather have them replaced all together. Maybe not replaced but eliminated so that the films are shown without any of the extra information being broadcast.

But in the case of TCM, I think it is vitally important to have their introductions to the films stay a part of TCM for now and the future. Eventually RO is going to retire and Ben may be the face of TCM. Or other possibly better equipped to introduce films. And this I think is valid. TCM is unique in that with the old AMC, they were one of a handful of movie channels that did this. Have someone come on before and after a film to discuss the film. To discontinue this practice may help alleviate concerns or objections some may have towards Osborne and Ben, but to others, especially newcomers to films, I think it would be wise to keep thses before and after commentaries going.

Just my humble opinion.

Rey (aka fxreyman)

I agree with all of the above. Some of us here (who think we are) know it alls may be familiar with the info imparted on the wraparounds, but it may be news to the vast majority of the viewers. In that respect, it can be seen as a vital service; I just wish Bob and Ben did this with all of the films shown, 24 hours, even if it is a canned intro (for those in the off hours).
  • Like 2

The list refers to the Movies On Demand feature of Watch TCM, which is located on the TCM.com site -- not TV cable offerings.

OK:  have to access tcm.com, log in, then select Watch TCM, then select Movies On Demand.

Guess my confusion is that many providers have a TCM On Demand feature.  With Charter, it is under their Free Movies category in On Demand.

Ironically, I very seldom visit tcm.com.

OK:  have to access tcm.com, log in, then select Watch TCM, then select Movies On Demand.

Guess my confusion is that many providers have a TCM On Demand feature.  With Charter, it is under their Free Movies category in On Demand.

Ironically, I very seldom visit tcm.com.

No problem! We all know how different TCM On Demand can be on various cable systems. I just wanted to make sure everyone knew how many of the Summer of Darkness selections were available on Watch TCM. They should be accessible until the next round of film noir presentations on Friday, June 12th.