Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jeanne Marie

Looking for San Francisco noir suggestions

As much as I enjoy film noir, it's even better when it's set in San Francisco.

So, I 'm asking the group to point me in the direction of San Francisco noir I may have missed. I have seen:

• The Maltese Falcon
  • Bork to Kill
  • Dark Passage 
  • DOA

What else should I seek out?

Thank you in advance!

Just re-read some of the opening course material. Now I have to go re-set my DVR to include some of the San Francisco noir on June 5!

SUDDEN FEAR (1952), with Joan Crawford and Jack Palance

BORN TO BE BAD (1950), directed by Nicholas Ray, with Joan Fontaine and Robert Ryan

I haven't watched it yet myself, but apparently Woman on the Run is supposed to be very good.  I believe it is airing tomorrow as well.

I really liked Nora Prentiss.  It was an interesting melodrama film noir.  Most of the action happens in San Francisco.

Edward Dmytryk's The Sniper from 1952, in which the title character wreaks havoc on SF streets. Terrific and tense, well worth seeking out (it's in one of the Columbia Noir DVD sets, and pops up on TCM from time to time.) It offers the rare opportunity to see Adolphe Menjou far out from his usual bespoke-suited, urbane comfort zone as a weary veteran policeman, along with the great Marie Windsor.

Plus, for extra noir points, there's one of the few screen appearances in a major role by Gerald Mohr, best known for portraying Philip Marlowe on radio in the 1940s. Enjoy!

A couple others I haven't yet seen, but found in article on S.F. noir:  The Man Who Cheated Himself (1950), with Jane Wyatt, and The LIneup (1958).  Not to mention The Lady from Shanghai, lots of S.F. settings.

I would definitely check out Woman on the Run. However, it does cheat a little as some parts are filmed in Los Angeles. I also recommend the book San Francisco Noir by Nathaniel Rich if  you're looking for a critique and analysis of noir films out of San Francisco.

Another is The Raging Tide (1951) with Richard Conte, Steve McNally and Shelly Winters and also partly is Johnny Stool Pigeon (1949) with Howard Duff, Shelly Winters, and Dan Duryea, along with Raw Deal (1948) with Dennis O'Keef, Clare Treavor

Although people debate it,I consider Vertigo a noir film.

San Fancisco is where I live,and is an incredibly noirish city. Chinatown at night,is the best for noir I've found with all it's dirty,little shadowy alleyways. And of course there's the steaming manholes,and fog to add to the cities elements.

I go to the locations from movies and (if available) try and match up my photograph from the shot in the film. Sometimes I get in trouble ..."What do you think you're doing taking pictures of my house at 2:30 in the morning?!!!" "Sorry! I'm just trying to get a photo of Scotty's apartment in that scene where..." Loool

• Like 1

San Fancisco is where I live,and is an incredibly noirish city. Chinatown at night,is the best for noir I've found with all it's dirty,little shadowy alleyways. And of course there's the steaming manholes,and fog to add to the cities elements.

I go to the locations from movies and (if available) try and match up my photograph from the shot in the film. Sometimes I get in trouble ..."What do you think you're doing taking pictures of my house at 2:30 in the morning?!!!" "Sorry! I'm just trying to get a photo of Scotty's apartment in that scene where..." Loool

That's fantastic. I'm in the Sacramento area. I'm eager to head to SF to take photos of locations in "Dark Passage." But most of my trips to SF are my husband's doing to go see Giants games!

• Like 1

I, too, am from San Francisco, and I completely agree with Chinatown being a great noir setting. North Beach is a close second. I consider Vertigo a noir flick, and Hitchcock did quite a few (Saboteur, Spellbound, Shadow of a Doubt, Notorious, etc.) It has many of the elements; internal conflict, dolly zooms, pursuits. I'm a huge fan of Hitchcock (so much, that I have his silhouette tattooed on my arm) and just as you've done then/now pics of SF noir locations, I've done then/now pics of the Hitchcock films in SF.

• Like 2

That's fantastic. I'm in the Sacramento area. I'm eager to head to SF to take photos of locations in "Dark Passage." But most of my trips to SF are my husband's doing to go see Giants games!

Here ya go Jeanne.

http://www.movie-locations.com/movies/d/darkpassage.html#.VXKOtYpHanM

Take a trip with your friends or by yourself sometime for a weekend,and just hit the pavement and have fun. I'm by myself doing this stuff,but I can tell you it's the most enjoyable thing. It's like your own little scavenger hunt,and each time you get your shot...feels a little like stealing a cookie. Loool.

I, too, am from San Francisco, and I completely agree with Chinatown being a great noir setting. North Beach is a close second. I consider Vertigo a noir flick, and Hitchcock did quite a few (Saboteur, Spellbound, Shadow of a Doubt, Notorious, etc.) It has many of the elements; internal conflict, dolly zooms, pursuits. I'm a huge fan of Hitchcock (so much, that I have his silhouette tattooed on my arm) and just as you've done then/now pics of SF noir locations, I've done then/now pics of the Hitchcock films in SF.

That's awesome.Good to know I'm not the only one out there...my family thinks I'm nuts. There is Saints Peter and Paul Church at Washington Square park...which was in Cecil B.DeMilles The Ten Commandments -1923 version. There's a stinking tree in my way though,and I can't match the shot! Funny thing was...the Church wasn't even aware they were in the first Ten Commandments!!!

I had to show them...Hilarious.

• Like 1

Here ya go Jeanne.

http://www.movie-locations.com/movies/d/darkpassage.html#.VXKOtYpHanM

Take a trip with your friends or by yourself sometime for a weekend,and just hit the pavement and have fun. I'm by myself doing this stuff,but I can tell you it's the most enjoyable thing. It's like your own little scavenger hunt,and each time you get your shot...feels a little like stealing a cookie. Loool.

Perfect! Bookmarked. Thank you SO MUCH.

• Like 1

Perfect! Bookmarked. Thank you SO MUCH.

Anytime Jeanne. Here's another thing you'll really love.

It's Francis Ford Coppala's and George Lucas' "American Zoetrope" headquarters. Eat in their cafe or just have coffee downstairs,and check out all the photos. They really do work in the building too. ????

http://www.cafecoppola.com/cafezoetrope/

Another:

Hammett (1982) has quite the cast, Frederic Forrest, Peter Boyle, Marilu Henner, Roy Kinnear, Elisha Cook Jr., Lydia Lei, Jack Nance,  Royal Dano, Samuel Fuller and Hank Warden. Sort of an alcoholic stupor/dream of a noir-ish PI flick, enforced by the storybook quality of the Zoetrope Studio sets. The story revolves around Dashiell "Sam" Hammett post Pinkerton during his Black Mask Pulp Fiction writer days, and one last case or is it just another hard boiled tale?

Great topic, Jeanne Marie. I didn't see your thread here, and I had created a similar one over in the General Discussions area.

• Like 1

Another:

Hammett (1982) has quite the cast, Frederic Forrest, Peter Boyle, Marilu Henner, Roy Kinnear, Elisha Cook Jr., Lydia Lei, Jack Nance,  Royal Dano, Samuel Fuller and Hank Warden. Sort of an alcoholic stupor/dream of a noir-ish PI flick, enforced by the storybook quality of the Zoetrope Studio sets. The story revolves around Dashiell "Sam" Hammett post Pinkerton during his Black Mask Pulp Fiction writer days, and one last case or is it just another hard boiled tale?

Just watched the trailer. That looks like fun. It's on the list, thank you!

Anytime Jeanne. Here's another thing you'll really love.

It's Francis Ford Coppala's and George Lucas' "American Zoetrope" headquarters. Eat in their cafe or just have coffee downstairs,and check out all the photos. They really do work in the building too.

http://www.cafecoppola.com/cafezoetrope/

Looks wonderful! Thank you.

• Like 1

I know they've  already been mentioned but The Sniper and the Line Up are ones that really use the locations well, there seem to be so many San Francisco set crime and cop movies and shows from the 70s and 80s that they almost become a cliche, and watching The Sniper recently it felt like it was the movie that kind of wrote the visual short hand for all that Bay Area stuff.

The Line Up is similar, I guess that 70s SF visual is in large part down to Don Siegel and Dirty Harry so having a Siegel movie from the 50s must be at the start of it somehow, it also makes plot points out of some landmark buildings and the construction of the freeways

I just watched 'Woman on the Run' and thats a bit more traveloguey than those two movies but still has a lot of great locations

• Like 1

What I love about The Lineup is the use of Sutro Baths, and I often watch this scene again just to catch a glimpse of the baths. I love its history (often collecting old artifacts) and I often return to the ruins for a short hike or just to take in the view and imagine what it once was.

• Like 1