Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lucky me I have the day off. Plus it's a dark and rainy day here - perfect for watching film noir. While watching Stranger on the 3rd Floor I realized how much modern cinematography owes to these films. Yesterday I watched the 12 Monkeys on the SyFy channel ( yes I watch way too much TV). Like Stranger the tech~ noir 12 Monkeys uses odd and tilted camera angles to reflect the odd and tilted world where the characters find themselves. Very effective.

Peter Lorre as always great

• Like 2

Now for High Sierra

I've watched High Sierra once or twice before. I hate Bogie's hair cut in this one :P . I just don't like when Bogie gets like this. But I'm giving it a second chance. Roy Earl.. Roy Smerl. :lol:

Ida Lupina's in it and the action is starting to build up.. Maybe it'll grow on me.

Never thought of The Letter being a Noir film prior to re-watching it today in the context of the course. Now I can see it - the lighting, the cold femme-fatale weaving her web about the men around her, the no-one-lives-happily-ever-after ending - it's all there. 

And I really enjoyed the performance of James Stephenson as Howard Joyce, you could see him almost becoming physically ill over his actions to keep his client free. Such a shame the actor died just a year later, on the verge of hitting the peak of a career. 

• Like 1

Love the study and presentation of the lead's mind in Stranger on the Third Floor.

• Like 1

Technical question: will the Film Noir series movies all be available on WatchTCM? I see that a few are available now, but will the rest of them be on the site after today?

I have to work today. So not right. Film Noir Fridays should be National Holidays!

I'm wondering the same about Watch TCM. I'm off today, but this many in a row is like eating a huge gourmet meal. I need to get up from the table every now and then.

• Like 1

For those of you taking the course without the benefit of cable (like me), M and La Bête Humaine are on Hulu and a handful of this week's other films are on Amazon Instant Rental for 2.99 each. Not ideal, but in this case half a dozen or so films are cheaper than a ticket to the movies!

• Like 1

For those of you taking the course without the benefit of cable (like me), M and La Bête Humaine are on Hulu and a handful of this week's other films are on Amazon Instant Rental for 2.99 each. Not ideal, but in this case half a dozen or so films are cheaper than a ticket to the movies!

There are a couple free on Amazon Prime too, if you have it. 

Glad I stuck it out for High Sierra.. This is getting good - Mad Dog Earl!

• Like 2

Glad I stuck it out for High Sierra.. This is getting good - Mad Dog Earl!

That's a good film. Ida Lupino!!!

"The Petrified Forest" is another good one.

High Sierra...a classic crime caper, but Noir? Not really seeing it so far (30 minutes in). 

Bogie, though, is Bogie, and that'll always do it for me! 

High Sierra...a classic crime caper, but Noir? Not really seeing it so far (30 minutes in).

Bogie, though, is Bogie, and that'll always do it for me!

The dog "Zero" was actually Bogarts real dog too.
  • Like 2

I love the quiet moments in The Maltese Falcon. When Brigid says to Joel "the fat man" in regards to Kasper Gutman and they both have knowing looks on their faces as if they share an inside secret. This is such a wonderful "quiet" moment. 

• Like 4

The dog "Zero" was actually Bogarts real dog too.

I didn't know that! That explains why they have such good chemistry :)
  • Like 2

My thought completely! He lit up every time he saw the dog! 

• Like 3

Additional trivia: The female lead of "Stranger on the Third Floor" was the long time wife of the director of "The Letter", William Wyler.

• Like 2

Such wonderful classics, makes me melancholy for the Hollywood that was.  I always wish I had lived during that film period.  Life seemed much simplier, even though I'm sure it was much more difficult.  Never get tired of seeing these films.

• Like 1

Just read the post on like/dislike voice over in film noir.

I greatly enjoy and appreciate voice over particularly in opening scenes of films noir.

Commercially: They save time, film, camera work and, mostly, money for the studio.

Story-wise: An opening sequence voice over (often during movement toward an undisclosed

destination) becomes a Prologue to the coming action. It can set the mood of the piece by

being a particular type of voice (languid, menacing, etc.) and best of all, it does away

with todays answer to an opening voice over -- the flash back, one of most confusing

devices in film making.

I agree. I greatly enjoy and appreciate voice over as well.

Since all of you are obviously fans of great movies and we are all taking the Film Noir course, I thought I would welcome all of you to check out my movie blog which I call Jessie's Old Fashioned Revue.  I started my blog almost three years ago because I love movies and decided to share that love with others.  Each week I pick a different movie and give a little description of the movie and what it is about.  Also, I always post a trivia question or trivia fact that can always come in handy if you like to play trivia games with friends.  I hope all of you will give my blog a look.  Here is the link.  http://jessiesrevue.blogspot.com/

• Like 4

Just saw The Letter. Wish we could have seen the earlier version, too, to compare. I really liked the use of filming her shadow as she left her room and through the garden at the end of the film.

Still not seeing it...help me out here: why is High Sierra on the list, what makes it Noir?

• Like 1

Yeah,I have pictures of him with the dog on the lot...doing tricks! He's a fun little dog.
  • Like 2

Still not seeing it...help me out here: why is High Sierra on the list, what makes it Noir?

It's really a gangster film. But that's where you get a huge part of film noir from. Hard hitting,fast talking,gun moll,car conversation,and the male protagonist with a bleak ending. Plus you have Ida Lupino getting smacked around!! Man do I love those Warners girls. ????
  • Like 1

I watched The Letter this morning. It's been quite a while since I saw it. Bette's line that she loved the man she killed at the end..... She was great in her role. I find myself paying a lot more attention to opening scenes already. I can't wait to watch this again after the entire course is finished.

• Like 2

I am very interested in seeing ideas about the question you have posted here. In Eddie Muller's article on Noir from GreenCine, he describes Noir this way: "Here's my take: If a private eye is hired by an old geezer to prove his wife's cheating on him and the shamus discovers long-buried family secrets and solves a couple of murders before returning to his lonely office - that's detective fiction. If the same private eye gets seduced by the geezer's wife, kills the old coot for her, gets double-crossed by his lover and ends up shot to death by his old partner from the police force - I can say with complete assurance: you are wallowing in NOIR."  Great start to a discussion, I think. Thanks so much for your post!

• Like 4