Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome Aboard New Members via TCM's Summer of Darkness Class!

speedracer5

TCM's Summer of Darkness Film Noir Class started this Monday.  As one of the members of the class and a more seasoned member of this community (in comparison with my classmates in the noir class), I wanted to take the opportunity to welcome my fellow classmates to the TCM Message Board Community. 

As many of the board veterans may have noticed, there have been new members commenting on various threads across the community.  I welcome the opportunity to have more opinions and viewpoints and expertise involved in our discussion about TCM, classic film and all areas in between.  The TCM Summer of Darkness Film Noir class at this moment has over 11,000 students enrolled.  This is a staggering number of participants and I am excited that there are this many people interested in learning about one of film's greatest genres--film noir. 

On June 1, when the course started, the first act of business was for those to establish themselves on the TCM Message board community by signing up and choosing a screen name.  Participants were also given the option of joining Twitter and posting about film noir there, but it appears most have chosen to participate in our community.  I, myself, am not into expressing myself in 140 characters or less and have chosen not to participate on Twitter.  

The reason behind having these discussions within a public forum like the TCM Message Boards instead of on the discussion boards within the Canvas Network was because the instructor wanted to keep these discussions available long after the course was over.  With Canvas, all discussion would have been deleted at the end of August.  I think it's a fantastic idea to experiment with using social media in conjunction with an accredited university as a tool for learning, discussion and a sense of community.  Everyone who is posting within the Summer of Darkness board and the TCM Message Board community as a whole are interested in discussing film.  People here want to talk about film, analyze film, joke about film, immerse themselves in film.  That's why we're all here right? We love movies.  

While reading through some of the posts over in the course discussions, it is great how many different perspectives people have on these films.  It is interesting to see what things people noticed and how they interpreted them.  It's nice to see some cordial discussion and people educating each other in a courteous way.  It is obvious that the degree of knowledge of film noir and films in general varies drastically person to person, but I love that everyone there is respectful and more interested in educating each other--rather than being smug and showing off their expertise.  I am enjoying reading everyone's posts and conversing with those enrolled--except for the classmate who questioned my liking Errol Flynn.  I did not enjoy that and took the high road by ignoring him ;-)

Sorry to be so verbose ;-) But if ya stick around long enough, you'll see that that's just how I am--always got a lot to say. 

In a nutshell, welcome all new members to the TCM Message Board Community.  I hope that you'll engage in (and perhaps start some) spirited discussions around here relating to anything and everything classic film!  

• Like 7

TCM's Summer of Darkness Film Noir Class started this Monday.  As one of the members of the class and a more seasoned member of this community (in comparison with my classmates in the noir class), I wanted to take the opportunity to welcome my fellow classmates to the TCM Message Board Community. 

As many of the board veterans may have noticed, there have been new members commenting on various threads across the community.  I welcome the opportunity to have more opinions and viewpoints and expertise involved in our discussion about TCM, classic film and all areas in between.  The TCM Summer of Darkness Film Noir class at this moment has over 11,000 students enrolled.  This is a staggering number of participants and I am excited that there are this many people interested in learning about one of film's greatest genres--film noir. 

On June 1, when the course started, the first act of business was for those to establish themselves on the TCM Message board community by signing up and choosing a screen name.  Participants were also given the option of joining Twitter and posting about film noir there, but it appears most have chosen this route.  I, myself, am not into expressing myself in 140 characters or less and have chosen not to participate on Twitter.  

The reason behind having these discussions within a public forum like the TCM Message Boards instead of on the discussion boards within the Canvas Network was because the instructor wanted to keep these discussions available long after the course was over.  With Canvas, all discussion would have been deleted at the end of August.  I think it's a fantastic idea to experiment with using social media in conjunction with an accredited university as a tool for learning, discussion and a sense of community.  Everyone who is posting within the Summer of Darkness board and the TCM Message Board community as a whole are interested in discussing film.  People here want to talk about film, analyze film, joke about film, immerse themselves in film.  That's why we're all here right? We love movies.  

While reading through some of the posts over in the course discussions, it is great how many different perspectives people have on these films.  It is interesting to see what things people noticed and how they interpreted them.  It's nice to see some cordial discussion and people educating each other in a courteous way.  It is obvious that the degree of knowledge of film noir and films in general varies drastically person to person, but I love that everyone there is respectful and more interested in educating each other--rather than being smug and showing off their expertise.  I am enjoying reading everyone's posts and conversing with those enrolled--except for the classmate who questioned my liking Errol Flynn.  I did not enjoy that and took the high road by ignoring him.  

Sorry to be so verbose ;-)

In a nutshell, welcome all new members to the TCM Message Board Community.  I hope that you'll engage in (and perhaps start some) spirited discussions around here relating to anything and everything classic film!  

Great Post....thanks, speedracer :D

During our first week, we have discussed the opening scenes of four films and how they relate to noir-- M, Le Bete Humaines, The Letter and Dark Passage, these film clips and associated discussion are known as "Daily Doses."  On Saturday, we're having our first quiz.

Next week, in addition to the "Daily Doses," online lectures and other learning aides will be available. 

It seems that the instructor is organizing his curriculum around the TCM schedule.  Each week's studied films correlate with the films that TCM as scheduled to air on Friday.  

The message board fiasco seems to have straightened out somewhat.  Instead of there being multiple threads for the Daily Doses started by various people, there are now pinned threads (started by the instructor) for each topic at the top of the page for easy access.  Hopefully this will eliminate the number of duplicate threads.  Ideally, new threads should be created when people want to discuss an aspect of the film or an aspect of the class that doesn't directly relate to the Daily Dose thread. 

I am sure as the class progresses, the organization issue will correct itself. 

• Like 1

During our first week, we have discussed the opening scenes of four films and how they relate to noir-- M, Le Bete Humaines, The Letter and Dark Passage, these film clips and associated discussion are known as "Daily Doses."  On Saturday, we're having our first quiz.

The Letter has one of my favourite film openings, magnificent direction and camerawork. Hard pressed to produce the name of a film noir that had so arresting an introduction. (Wait, okay, The Killers, perhaps).

The Letter has one of my favourite film openings, magnificent direction and camerawork. Hard pressed to produce the name of a film noir that had so arresting an introduction. (Wait, okay, The Killers, perhaps).

Would Touch of Evil be considered noir?  Possibly baroque noir if there is such an animal?

My problem(among the many) with some things involving these boards is that I usually join these "forums" in hopes of just exchanging opinions on "likes" and "dislikes",  a little gentle good natured "ribbing", and possibly learning something along the way.  however, I never look upon these kind of places as "tutorials", and only take an interest in learning certain things on a "want to know" basis.  NOT to be taught something as "fact" when it usually winds up just being someone's opinion.

Now, unless one is interested in writing a book on the subject, or filming one as a major project, or something else that consumes a major portion of time and/or life, I see no real advantage in taking a noir "class".

You either like these films, or don't.  And either way doesn't make you a better or lesser person than the ones who feel differently than you. 

There ARE many people who DON'T feel the same way about many of the movies that certain film "communities" seem to feel about them.  What I mean by this is...

Over the years, I've heard MANY so-called "film critic" after critic go ape over the movie "BRINGING UP BABY".  THEY all seem to feel that it was, and IS the funniest movie to ever come to the screen.  AND they seem to challenge the intelligence of anyone who doesn't agree.  It's almost as if one feels they HAVE to like it in order to be considered a "film buff"!  There are several other movies that fit this bill.

Now, do I like "noir"?  Depends.  Which film?

I usually look at them with my photographer's eye.  But, if the story ain't there, I ain't there for long.  I'll not suffer through it simply because it's "noir", and some people THINK I'm supposed to like 'em ALL!

Sepiatone

• Like 1

My problem(among the many) with some things involving these boards is that I usually join these "forums" in hopes of just exchanging opinions on "likes" and "dislikes",  a little gentle good natured "ribbing", and possibly learning something along the way.  however, I never look upon these kind of places as "tutorials", and only take an interest in learning certain things on a "want to know" basis.  NOT to be taught something as "fact" when it usually winds up just being someone's opinion.

Now, unless one is interested in writing a book on the subject, or filming one as a major project, or something else that consumes a major portion of time and/or life, I see no real advantage in taking a noir "class".

Well, I think that is the beauty of this intended thread, Sepiatone.  It is not meant to be a class or one member's blog-like tutorial.  It is meant to be a forum for discussion of noir in general and a place to go for those many new members taking that course as it is of particular interest to them.

And who knows, those new members like to check out other general discussion threads as well.

• Like 1

Next week, in addition to the "Daily Doses," online lectures and other learning aides will be available. 

It seems that the instructor is organizing his curriculum around the TCM schedule.  Each week's studied films correlate with the films that TCM as scheduled to air on Friday.  

The message board fiasco seems to have straightened out somewhat.  Instead of there being multiple threads for the Daily Doses started by various people, there are now pinned threads (started by the instructor) for each topic at the top of the page for easy access.  Hopefully this will eliminate the number of duplicate threads.  Ideally, new threads should be created when people want to discuss an aspect of the film or an aspect of the class that doesn't directly relate to the Daily Dose thread. 

I am sure as the class progresses, the organization issue will correct itself. 

I've always considered THE LETTER to be one of the first noirs.

Would Touch of Evil be considered noir?  Possibly baroque noir if there is such an animal?

Touch of Evil is considered noir by authors of noir books, since most list the film in their book.

Noir isn't just about how the movie was filmed; i.e. the lighting, the camera angles etc..

Instead noir is also about the characters and what motivates them.   What got them into the 'trap' they are in.   e.g. Obsession.    Take the detective Welles plays in TOE;  He is obsessed at getting his man.   So much so he plants evidence.      Him breaking the law to maintain law and order is a classic noir type theme.   

Considering the visual look of the film and the seedy characters to be found in Touch of Evil, I would consider it to definitely be a noir. And I would also agree with you, Bogie, if this is what you're getting at, that that film has one heck of a riveting opening sequence.

Although I'm not participating in the TCM film noir class, I'm glad that TCM is offering it. 

Ball State University has an an excellent Film and Media Studies program (I have a friend who did her undergraduate work there) so I think that the course will be a worthwhile experience for those who are participating.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings