Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Will there be neo-noir fims as well?

I am pressed for time and just setting up my #NoirSummer Twitter and online Canvas Course. Will check the schedule later but kust to be social and say hello, can anyone tell us if thwere will be neo-noir of the 70s and 80s showing on any of the Friday marathons?

Needless to say, I am SO EXCITED! Love TCM, Love Noir, Love taking about classic movies! :)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks! I was able to peruse the schedule after I posted this. Looks like they are running a neo-noir film near the end of the day every Friday. Get Carter (1971) is in a few weeks! :)

Yes, each week in the lineup, TCM is running a neo-noir at the end of the 24 hour marathon. I will get into neo-noir films towards the end of the course in July so stay tuned. I am a big fan of so many of the neo-noirs they are showing in the fest - Get Carter is terrific (especially if you only know Michael Caine for his supporting actors roles of the last few years like Alfred in Nolan's Batman films) but we also just had Night Moves (Hackman in full noir mode), Marlowe (with James Garner pre-Rockford Files), etc. Definitely check out the full lineup of films at summerofdarkness.tcm.com

• Like 1

Yes, each week in the lineup, TCM is running a neo-noir at the end of the 24 hour marathon. I will get into neo-noir films towards the end of the course in July so stay tuned. I am a big fan of so many of the neo-noirs they are showing in the fest - Get Carter is terrific (especially if you only know Michael Caine for his supporting actors roles of the last few years like Alfred in Nolan's Batman films) but we also just had Night Moves (Hackman in full noir mode), Marlowe (with James Garner pre-Rockford Files), etc. Definitely check out the full lineup of films at summerofdarkness.tcm.com

Professor, you should check out Garner's Mister Buddwing (1966) a psychological noir, Its got the amnesia trope, the first person POV, is shot in B&W with quite a few noir stylistics, along with flashbacks and includes memorable vignettes, and it has a great jazz score. It's a great find. 

• Like 1

Can anything be more neo noir than "Who Killed Roger Rabbit?" :lol:

Yes Warner's The Great Piggy Bank Robbery (1946) with Duck Twacy which incidentally shows that Hollywood was well aware of the Noir tropes to the point of spoofing them, even before they got a name. 

Another favorite neo-noir movie of mine is "Body Heat." Listened to the podcast about this film from the "Out of the Past" series. Will watch this movie with a more critical eye and will pay attention to more details.  Looking forward to listening to more of the podcasts. Great to listen to on long drives through the rain!! 

I always thought Ridley Scott's Blader Runner really nailed the noir aesthetic.  Frankly, without all the noir trappings, it would only have been a "B" sci-fi movie.

Detective story,  sci-fi,  romance and noir trappings.   All it needed was a musical interlude!   Great film based on a solid novel by my favorite sci-fi writer Philip K. Dick. 

• Like 1

Detective story,  sci-fi,  romance and noir trappings.   All it needed was a musical interlude!   Great film based on a solid novel by my favorite sci-fi writer Philip K. Dick. 

Yup!  That's for sure!   :)

Another good bit of sci-fi noir is Dark City.  Do you know the way to Shell Beach?   ;)