Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Orson Welles' Prosthetic Nose

HepburnGirl

Hi everyone! I'm new to the TCM message boards, so please bare with me and my crazy topics! :-)

I know this might be an odd topic, or maybe it's even been covered here before, but I'd love to hear everyone's opinion.

It's pretty well known that Orson Welles wore prosthetic noses in the majority of his films, even when the film itself didn't at all require him to do so, with the notable exception being The Third Man, only at Carol Reed's insistence that Welles not wear one. Apparently Welles disliked his real nose immensely, thinking that it was too small and that a larger nose was more commanding and better suited him.

I understand that welles needed a lot heavy of make-up for certain roles, mostly to appear older; Touch of Evil and The Long, Hot summer being two examples of that.

But on the other hand, there are roles in which he's wearing only the prosthetic nose, without being heavily made up otherwise, and the fake nose can seem completely unnecessary.

So my questions are these:

Do you feel like his constant Prosthetic nose was necessary, or unnecessary?

Do you think the nose always looks realistic? are there any roles in which you find it looks completely fake?

In which of his films do think the nose worked best for his character?

In which of his films do you find the nose distracting, if at all?

Was Welles' dislike of his real nose warranted? did he really look better with a more pronounced nose?

I know it's kind of funny, asking so many questions about his nose, but he put such an emphasis on it. I don't think I've ever seen an other actor constantly wear a prosthetic nose just for the heck of it.

I think the nose worked quite well in most cases. My favorite use of it probably being in Jane Eyre; I think it worked really well for the character of Rochester. I also think Welles looked very attractive in that movie, and I'd never really thought of him as being especially attractive before that. So maybe the nose wasn't such a bad idea! :-)

Thoughts?

• Like 1

Hi everyone! I'm new to the TCM message boards, so please bare with me and my crazy topics! :-)

I know this might be an odd topic, or maybe it's even been covered here before, but I'd love to hear everyone's opinion.

It's pretty well known that Orson Welles wore prosthetic noses in the majority of his films, even when the film itself didn't at all require him to do so, with the notable exception being The Third Man, only at Carol Reed's insistence that Welles not wear one. Apparently Welles disliked his real nose immensely, thinking that it was too small and that a larger nose was more commanding and better suited him.

I understand that welles needed a lot heavy of make- up for certain roles, to appear older; Touch of Evil and The Long, Hot summer being two examples of that.

But on the other hand, there are roles where he's wearing only the prosthetic nose, without much make-up on otherwise, and the fake nose can seem completely unnecessary.

Was Welles' dislike of his real nose warranted? did he really look better with a more pronounced nose?

I know it's kind of funny, asking so many questions about his nose, but he put such an emphasis on it. I don't think I've ever seen an other actor constantly wear a prosthetic nose just for the heck of it.

I think the nose worked quite well in most cases. My favorite use of it probably being in Jane Eyre; I think it worked really well for the character of Rochester. I also think Welles looked very attractive in that movie, and I'd never really thought of him as being especially attractive before that. So maybe the nose wasn't such a bad idea! :-)

Thoughts?

Welcome to the boards.

Did he wear a fake nose in Jane Eyre? And not wear a fake nose in The Third Man? Didn't notice either. I was okay with him in both of these, as well as his performance in The Stranger.

I did NOT like his performance in Journey Into Fear, either his accent or his makeup. His ham was accentuated by a side of bacon. 

To answer your questions, I never noticed his prosthetics or lack of them, only his hammy acting. I didn't like Welles, so that had something to do with it. I think he was a legend in his own mind. His Mercury players, Cotten and Sloane in particular, were far superior actors, imho.

Oh, and HepburnGirl, NO question or thread is off base anymore, just look around. Do post more.

Thanks primosprimos for your reply! I thought it was a weird topic, but I've looked through the other threads and your right, nothing's really off base. lol. I love discussing classic film, so this is great.

I watched Journey Into Fear yesterday, and I have to say, I was sorely disappointed. It just wasn't very good. And welles' acting in that film left something to be desired, most definitely. And I usually really love Welles. He was definitely heavily made up in this film, so I'll say that's one film where his make-up is very distracting.

Thanks primosprimos for your reply! I thought it was a weird topic, but I've looked through the other threads and your right, nothing's really off base. lol. I love discussing classic film, so this is great.

I watched Journey Into Fear yesterday, and I have to say, I was sorely disappointed. It just wasn't very good. And welles' acting in that film left something to be desired, most definitely. And I usually really love Welles. He was definitely heavily made up in this film, so I'll say that's one film where his make-up is very distracting.

I agree, HepburnGirl.

What turned me off, and what made me turn it off, for the second time was Cotten leaving the gun in his cabin. Even I would have figured out by that time that everything was NOT kosher on that ship.

I understand that welles needed a lot heavy of make-up for certain roles, mostly to appear older; Touch of Evil and The Long, Hot summer being two examples of that.

But on the other hand, there are roles in which he's wearing only the prosthetic nose, without being heavily made up otherwise, and the fake nose can seem completely unnecessary.

Do you think the nose always looks realistic? are there any roles in which you find it looks completely fake?

Thoughts?

Who else was known for prosthetic noses? I know that Tony Curtis wore one in THE DEFIANT ONES.

• Like 1

Welcome to the message community, HepburnGirl. We like fun topics!

I would agree JOURNEY INTO FEAR is not as good as it could have been, probably because the studio trimmed some segments (not as much of a butcher job as RKO did on Ambersons, but there are some abrupt transitions and slight continuity problems).

The main issue I have with JOURNEY INTO FEAR is that there are too many characters, and we are not given enough of a chance to sympathize with their problems or understand their motives. Mostly it's a big stew of chaos and convoluted plot twists without any clear direction or relatable elements.

In a way, it's a high-brow freak show that only Welles & Company can deliver.

• Like 1

Considering that there's a thread elsewhere that concentrates on another actor's rear end, I don't see how a thread about an actor's NOSE can be out of line!

Unless one doesn't notice that much of a difference from one actor's BUM and Orson Welles' FACE!  :lol:

But back to some seriousness, I've actually never really noticed.  AND never heard or read anything about Welles using a fake nose when it wasn't actually called for.

And, welcome to the boards!

Sepiatone

Considering that there's a thread elsewhere that concentrates on another actor's rear end, I don't see how a thread about an actor's NOSE can be out of line!

Unless one doesn't notice that much of a difference from one actor's BUM and Orson Welles' FACE!  :lol:

But back to some seriousness, I've actually never really noticed.  AND never heard or read anything about Welles using a fake nose when it wasn't actually called for.

And, welcome to the boards!

Sepiatone

Which brings up the question, which actors have worn prosthetic rear ends?

There's a piece that airs on TCM where Orson Welles's daughter talks about enjoying seeing her father in THE THIRD MAN because he has his own nose.

For the most part, I dislike Welles' fondness for fake noses onscreen, although I try not to be too hard on actors' personal choices. The worst nose? The one he wore as movie producer Max Buda in "The V.I.P.s" (1963).

At the other end of the spectrum, Elizabeth Taylor's violet eyes are orbs of wonder in the trailer.

Who else was known for prosthetic noses? I know that Tony Curtis wore one in THE DEFIANT ONES.

Yeah, Curtis definitely wore one in that film. Funny thing is, I didn't even really realize he was wearing one until 1/2 way through the movie. I could tell there was something different about him, I just couldn't pinpoint it.

Apparently they thought he was too pretty to play such a harsh, tough character, so he wore a prosthetic.

I think it worked really well for him though, and I feel it's one of Curtis' best performances.

I believe Nicole Kidman (Oscar winner Nicole Kidman) wore one in THE HOURS.

Not sure if she won the Oscar or if her fake nose did.

Kidman probably won the 2002 Best Actress award for "The Hours" because she didn't get the 2001 award for her celebrated performance in "Moulin Rouge!"

Kidman probably won the 2002 Best Actress award for "The Hours" because she didn't get the 2001 award for her celebrated performance in "Moulin Rouge!"

Yes, I wondered about that too jake. And I think she was very good in the supernatural thriller THE OTHERS, also released in 2001. She was experiencing a major career hot streak at that time.

This said, I find her performance in THE HOURS a bit sub-par. I can't get past the funny nose.

Yes, I wondered about that too jake. And I think she was very good in the supernatural thriller THE OTHERS, also released in 2001. She was experiencing a major career hot streak at that time.

This said, I find her performance in THE HOURS a bit sub-par. I can't get past the funny nose.

Hi everyone, thanks for being so welcoming!

I've never seen The Hours, but it's my sister's favorite movie and she swears Kidman deserved the Oscar for it. She thinks the nose works well for the character of Virginian Woolf. Idk, I've never been a big fan of Nicole Kidman, although I do think The Others is a great movie; very atmospheric.

• Like 1

Hi everyone, thanks for being so welcoming!

I've never seen The Hours, but it's my sister's favorite movie and she swears Kidman deserved the Oscar for it. She thinks the nose works well for the character of Virginian Woolf. Idk, I've never been a big fan of Nicole Kidman, although I do think The Others is a great movie; very atmospheric.

Yes, we look forward to more of your posts, HepburnGirl. 

I wonder if another actress would have used the prosthetic nose if Kidman hadn't been cast. Like, was it the actress's idea to do that, or the director's...?

Yes, we look forward to more of your posts, HepburnGirl.

I wonder if another actress would have used the prosthetic nose if Kidman hadn't been cast. Like, was it the actress's idea to do that, or the director's...?

I don't whose decision it was for Kidman to wear the prosthetic, but apparently she loved wearing it. She was so unrecognizable that she even wore it outside of filming because it helped her to evade the paparazzi.

I've also heard that the film's producer, Harvey Weinstein, hated the nose. But she won the Oscar anyway, so...

I don't whose decision it was for Kidman to wear the prosthetic, but apparently she loved wearing it. She was so unrecognizable that she even wore it outside of filming because it helped her to evade the paparazzi.

I've also heard that the film's producer, Harvey Weinstein, hated the nose. But she won the Oscar anyway, so...

Interesting. I happen to agree with Harvey on this. LOL

I thought Will Smith wore a prosthetic in ALI, made around the same time, but I just checked and he did not. Maybe I am thinking of someone else...

Interesting. I happen to agree with Harvey on this. LOL

I thought Will Smith wore a prosthetic in ALI, made around the same time, but I just checked and he did not. Maybe I am thinking of someone else...

I know Will Smith just really physically transformed altogether for that film, so I don't blame you for thinking he wore a fake nose.

All I know is, is that movies can take a big risk when using prosthetics on their actors; sometimes it adds to the characters, other times it can be terribly distracting.

I know Will Smith just really physically transformed altogether for that film, so I don't blame you for thinking he wore a fake nose.

All I know is, is that movies can take a big risk when using prosthetics on their actors; sometimes it adds to the characters, other times it can be terribly distracting.

Precisely. It's a hit-or-miss situation. There is no in-between. Either it works, or it doesn't.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings