Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Looking forward to this course but no TCM (uk based)

Hi, I've just signed up for the Canvas Film Noir course and am really looking forward to it but am based in the UK and don't have access to the wonders of TCM's friday schedules. I'm very jealous of subscribers being able to watch the majority of the 'set texts' all in one go :)

I do have access to the vast majority of the featured movies in my own collection, so will hopefully be using this as a chance to rewatch or even see for the first time a bunch of great noirs. Anyone else out there and trying this course from the UK?

Looking at this weeks offerings I think a rewatch of M and the Maltese Falcon are definitely in order and I'm interested in seeing how La Bette Humaine compares with Lang's Human Desire (favourably I'm guessing) I've heard really good things about 'Woman on the Run' and like that the woman's pic side of Noir is being covered with 'The Letter', love Davis in things like that,

I think thats a pretty full schedule of watching for me, anyone want to make a case for Johnny Eager, Stranger on the Third Floor, Nora Prentiss or Dark Passage getting added to the watchlist?

(I've seen the others fairly recently)

• Like 1

I just signed up for the course last night as I was watching TCM (on a whim).  I love TCM. And I am getting into Film Noir......especially the ladies of the genre. 

I saw "Johnny Eager" last night and loved it.  Robert Taylor rocked his role. It may be one of his best.  I think I had seen bits and pieces of it before. Very cool shots.....street scenes at end.

Nora Prentiss I had seen before.  Too much fluff with Anne Sheridan......man leaving his wife for the pretty nightclub singer stuff.  Not dark enough for Film Noir really.

"Stranger on the Third Floor" claims to be more German Expressionist......earlier film.  Good dream sequence in it.

• Like 1

You might have seen bits of Johnny Eager before, it's pretty heavily used in 'Dead Men Don't wear Plaid'  

I'll try my best to watch it this week, 

I signed up for this on a whim as well but it's fun to have some sort of plan to what I'm watching and i'm looking forward to a more detailed look at some of the classics i haven't seen for a while. Which Noir Ladies are you particularly enjoying?

You might have seen bits of Johnny Eager before, it's pretty heavily used in 'Dead Men Don't wear Plaid'  

I'll try my best to watch it this week, 

I signed up for this on a whim as well but it's fun to have some sort of plan to what I'm watching and i'm looking forward to a more detailed look at some of the classics i haven't seen for a while. Which Noir Ladies are you particularly enjoying?

While Lana Turner isn't a noir lady,   she looks fantastic in Johnny Eager.   As close to perfection as one can get.   While I mostly favor brunets like Ava Garner,  Mid-40s Lana is something to behold. 

Stranger on the third floor is short.  Really short so you can knock it out in just under an hour. Johnny Eager is really good, Robert Taylor is really excellent in it and Lana Turner being obsessed with gangsters is entertaining given her history.  Dark Passage has Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall which is enough for me.  Nora Prentiss has a messed up plot and an ending that doesn't stand up to scrutiny, but I bet you haven't seen it before.  

I'm from the UK too and feel very deprived that I can't receive TCM. However, with a poor rural internet speed of 1.5 they might not play well. I saw Johnny Eager many many years ago and remember loving it. The only DVD I can find of it is in Spain. Over here in the UK we are Region 2 so US DVDs won't play.

Hi, I've just signed up for the Canvas Film Noir course and am really looking forward to it but am based in the UK and don't have access to the wonders of TCM's friday schedules. I'm very jealous of subscribers being able to watch the majority of the 'set texts' all in one go :)

I do have access to the vast majority of the featured movies in my own collection, so will hopefully be using this as a chance to rewatch or even see for the first time a bunch of great noirs. Anyone else out there and trying this course from the UK?

Looking at this weeks offerings I think a rewatch of M and the Maltese Falcon are definitely in order and I'm interested in seeing how La Bette Humaine compares with Lang's Human Desire (favourably I'm guessing) I've heard really good things about 'Woman on the Run' and like that the woman's pic side of Noir is being covered with 'The Letter', love Davis in things like that,

I think thats a pretty full schedule of watching for me, anyone want to make a case for Johnny Eager, Stranger on the Third Floor, Nora Prentiss or Dark Passage getting added to the watchlist?

(I've seen the others fairly recently)

UK student here.  I may not have to time to fulfill all the demands of the course but it is great to have a chance to discuss aspects of film.  Out of the Past is on Moviemix at 1pm (UK time) on the 16th June.  But you probably have that in your collection.  What has struck me most forcibly is the resemblance between Fritz Lang and Alfred Hitchcock.  Hitchcock was strongly influenced by German Expressionism but Lang and Hitch also seem to share the same black humour which is strongly present in Scarlet Street, a comedy noir, in fact.