Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Petition to TCM Forums?

darkblue

It's been mentioned in several places, in several threads, that there is a feature here that some people feel serves only to cause trouble.

Post counts.

They can be manipulated far too easily for any meaningful value, and yet there are members who insist that they're something at which to point for recognition of some kind.

They seem to be becoming a sore spot with more and more members.

Perhaps it's time to petition for that feature's removal?

• Like 9

It's been mentioned in several places, in several threads, that there is a feature here that some people feel serves only to cause trouble.

Post counts.

They can be manipulated far too easily for any meaningful value, and yet there are members who insist that they're something at which to point for recognition of some kind.

I agree whole-heartedly.  It shouldn't be a contest to make the most number of posts.  That could lead to a few people wishing to dominate the boards without concentrating on conversation.

(sniff) But I was looking forward to a party and cyber cake when I reached 1323 posts.   :(

• Like 4

Post counts.

While sometimes petitions work and sometimes they don't, it never hurts to start a petition if one feels strongly about it. 

In the National Film Registry for example, while choosing films for preservation, some films are unanimously agreed upon and with other films, people have to fight for their inclusion.  Back to the Future for example, was inducted into the National Film Registry after a massive internet campaign was held where fans petitioned the National Film Registry members to induct Back to the Future into their pantheon of films which "ensure the survival, conservation, and increased public availability of America's film heritage."

Right now, there are similar online petitions going to get The Quiet Man, Die Hard and many other films inducted.  Only time will tell to see if these campaigns are ultimately successful.

While sometimes petitions work and sometimes they don't, it never hurts to start a petition if one feels strongly about it. 

In the National Film Registry for example, while choosing films for preservation, some films are unanimously agreed upon and with other films, people have to fight for their inclusion.  Back to the Future for example, was inducted into the National Film Registry after a massive internet campaign was held where fans petitioned the National Film Registry members to induct Back to the Future into their pantheon of films which "ensure the survival, conservation, and increased public availability of America's film heritage."

Right now, there are similar online petitions going to get The Quiet Man, Die Hard and many other films inducted.  Only time will tell to see if these campaigns are ultimately successful.

It's true that they sometimes do and sometimes don't.

I'm just asking a question - prompted by a number of posts I've read that are disparaging of these post counts. Wondering how widespread that disaffection is - and if it's the common sentiment, whether a petition to TCM Forums might be the way to go.

It's true that they sometimes do and sometimes don't.

I'm just asking a question - prompted by a number of posts I've read that are disparaging of these post counts. Wondering how widespread that disaffection is - and if it's the common sentiment, whether a petition to TCM Forums might be the way to go.

Perhaps a compromise would be having the post counts not immediately visible by being posted underneath the avatar, perhaps that could be information that is part of a member's profile--one would have to visit the profile to see how prolific someone is. 

One thing is the post counts, which in and of themselves are not a bad thing. Another is to start threads gloating about how many post counts a thread has, or a poster has. This is shamelessly self-serving, ans has NOTHING to do with discussion of classic film, TCM, etc.

• Like 6

One thing is the post counts, which in and of themselves are not a bad thing. Another is to start threads gloating about how many post counts a thread has, or a poster has. This is shamelessly self-serving, ans has NOTHING to do with discussion of classic film, TCM, etc.

Evidently, you can't have one without the other. Some people are so desirous of self-glorification, you'll always have that shamelessness if the counts are allowed to remain.

But, there may only be 2 or 3 people who feel this way about it. I've never counted. I've just seen a dozen or more posts about how some find this to be a nauseating brag source. So I was wondering.

Perhaps a compromise would be having the post counts not immediately visible by being posted underneath the avatar, perhaps that could be information that is part of a member's profile--one would have to visit the profile to see how prolific someone is. 

No, they need to get rid of the number of posts all-together. Any mention of views as well. That serves no function except to show to the members just how many people re looking at the threads. It is now become an obsession with certain members who post on the boards. This has to stop, the sooner the better.

Another possible change would be to do away with view counts. As we all know, view counts are extremely important in our daily lives. I don't start many threads so I don't have many views. This has made me consult an analyst who has informed that if I have only 200 views counts and someone else has 800, then I am only one-fourth the person as the one with 800. This is sort of inequality is detrimental to the mental health of the community. So view counts should go.

Another modest proposal would be that any thread that undergoes a name change, the view count would automatically revert to zero. That would solve that problem. That way a thread could always retain its original name and thereby avoid an identity crisis.

Thank you

• Like 16

Evidently, you can't have one without the other. Some people are so desirous of self-glorification, you'll always have that shamelessness if the counts are allowed to remain.

But, there may only be 2 or 3 people who feel this way about it. I've never counted. I've just seen a dozen or more posts about how some find this to be a nauseating brag source. So I was wondering.

In theory, view counts and post.counts are innocuous. But they have been used to clog the boards with meaningless threads which serve no purpose other than to call attention to the op, so yeah, removing them is infinitely better than having that continue.

• Like 2

Guest TCMModerator1

While it's fine to express an opinion about post count and/or views, please keep personal comments out of the discussion. 

It's a shame that something as seemingly innocuous as view and post counts on the TCM message board has lead to vainglorious self serving threads by individuals attempting to blow their own horn (even though they are, at best, dubious accomplishments). I suspect the real purpose of the threads is for the OP to just draw attention to himself.

If the elimination of views and post numbers leads to the elimination of trivial, shallow threads of this nature, which have nothing to do with the discussion of films, I am fully in favour of it.

• Like 11

While it's fine to express an opinion about post count and/or views, please keep personal comments out of the discussion. 

Thank you for saying that. Every time I start a topic someone comes in and tries to make it personal. I had a wonderfully popular thread about how people define "troll" lost the other day because of that sort of sabotage.

I'm getting a little tired of having my topic creations endangered that way.

• Like 11

Thank you for saying that. Every time I start a topic someone comes in and tries to make it personal. I had a wonderfully popular thread about how people define "troll" lost the other day because of that sort of sabotage.

I'm getting a little tired of having my topic creations endangered that way.

Well said.  Perhaps they should choose the 'Ignore' function instead of invading your threads.  Just a suggestion.

I hope no one suggests that the next upgrade should include adding the post count and the view count together in a lump sum. That could result in a very high number and cause some to have delusions of grandeur. A recipe for disaster, to be sure. I think concern for the mental health of the community is a good thing.

==

• Like 3

They should remove number of posts and number of views.  What purpose do they serve anyway?

There should also be limits on how many times someone can post per day or create threads per week.  Although this may be hard to limit.

Unfortunatley there are threads that an OP keeps posting on apparently just to keep it on the first pages of New Content and General Discussions?

There should also be restrictions on use of today, tonight, tomorrow, etc. in thread titles unless accompanied by a date in the title.  

Would be helpful if more people responded only to the thread title rather than going off in a different direction.

None of this should require a petition.  Removal of post counts and view counts should just be removed.

• Like 6

They should remove number of posts and number of views.  What purpose do they serve anyway?

How about a reverse perspective:

What harm do they cause? The number of posts and views is not a matter of life and death. Nobody is hurt by seeing them. Aren't we blowing this out of proportion...?

You're right.  The only purpose I have seen as long as I have been here is for some people to chase numbers which then isn't about conversation, is it?

And I reserve my right to say so!!!  There is nothing wrong or personal about that.

• Like 3

There should also be limits on how many times someone can post per day or create threads per week.  Although this may be hard to limit.

Unfortunatley there are threads that an OP keeps posting on apparently just to keep it on the first pages of New Content and General Discussions?

There should also be restrictions on use of today, tonight, tomorrow, etc. in thread titles unless accompanied by a date in the title.  

Would be helpful if more people responded only to the thread title rather than going off in a different direction.

None of this should require a petition.  Removal of post counts and view counts should just be removed.

You know what would make me a happy camper?

Reciprocity.

I've had a certain member on ignore for months now. Isn't that how our moderators recommend we handle people who offend us?

I stay out of his threads. I don't post in them. I don't read his posts. I don't address him directly - EVER. So far as I know, this is a permanent policy for me. As such, I never endanger his topics - his threads aren't shut down because of me.

And yet I'm being told by members that my threads are constantly under attack - that there's frequently an effort to poison them and get them shut down.

I sure wish administration would force this member to stay out of mine the way I stay out of his. It's only fair.

A reciprocal "ignore" directive. Now, there's a feature I could get behind.

• Like 7

All kidding aside, these suggestions are brilliant and should heeded. This forum would improve immeasurably. Mods, please consider these points when contemplating future upgrades. Please!

• Like 2

You know what would make me a happy camper?

Reciprocity.

I've had a certain member on ignore for months now. Isn't that how our moderators recommend we handle people who offend us?

I can see this.

Should be noted that even if you have someone on ignore ( I have one on it), if you don't log in and just start reading posts, you will see the ignoree's posts.  Also, if someone quotes the ignoree, you will see the post even if you are logged in.  System just includes it under the new poster's post.

There is an option to view individual posts by someone you have on ignore if you so choose.

It is kind of entertaining to log in, start reading a thread and see multiple notices for "This post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore posts by __________."

I can see this.

Should be noted that even if you have someone on ignore ( I have one on it), if you don't log in and just start reading posts, you will see the ignoree's posts.  Also, if someone quotes the ignoree, you will see the post even if you are logged in.  System just includes it under the new poster's post.

Why wouldn't you be logged in?

If you don't want to see my posts, log in for heaven's sake.

Why wouldn't you be logged in?

If you don't want to see my posts, log in for heaven's sake.

No problems with you.

Sometimes, I just start reading without logging in to see what's new.  Don't recommend this though as system does not show the star by threads upon which you have posted.

• Like 1

No problems with you.

Sometimes, I just start reading without logging in to see what's new.  Don't recommend this though as system does not show the star by threads upon which you have posted.

If you tick the "Remember Me" box when you sign in, you stay signed in all the time. You never have to log out or in again.

At least, that's the way it works for me.

If you tick the "Remember Me" box when you sign in, you stay signed in all the time. You never have to log out or in again.

At least, that's the way it works for me.

Another example of my internet paranoia, I don't do Remember Me either.  I log in on every site I visit when I visit it.

• Like 1