Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Petition to TCM Forums?

darkblue

Another example of my internet paranoia, I don't do Remember Me either.  I log in on every site I visit when I visit it.

I do likewise.

I also do not log in unless I have something to comment about. But I do enjoy it when I have the time to look at comments others have posted on these boards.

I once found myself wanting to comment negatively about someone who frequently makes condescending posts on these boards, but restrained myself from doing so. Some people thrive on negativity.

I've found the "Ignor" button to be the most powerful tool available here. When one uses it they have sentenced the ubiquitous "offender" to oblivion.

They no longer count or matter, they are denied that which upon they seem to thrive... attention.

They are in a sense, shunned.

Of course if they are of the insensitive type they may have no idea that they are being ignored, they just cease receiving responses.

For some it does not matter, they just continue on, posting to themselves, fishing for any reply they can get. But at least it won't be from me.

I've only chosen to do this a couple of times in all the years I've been here, but it has proven to be far more effective, and satisfying, than getting into a flame war with someone, thereby reducing yourself to their level.

A wise person once told me that "when you wrestle with a pig you both end up with mud on your face." :)

Anyway, regarding post counts and views, I see them in practically every board I've ever visited. I suppose they have a useful function for those who maintain the boards in monitoring activity, though there are those personalities who get caught up with counts and numbers way beyond their personal merit.

When I'm seeking technical information I expect one with great expertise on the subject to have a lot of replies posted to those asking questions, but on these "general discussion" boards, they are not that useful for me, except  in making it easy to identify persons who perhaps have way too much time on their hands, IMHO

Of course there are persons whom are homebound, and others that are quite remote. So posting for them may be one of the few forms of socialization available.

• Like 3

Another example of my internet paranoia, I don't do Remember Me either.  I log in on every site I visit when I visit it.

Well, cause for paranoia would be especially justified if you recall Cloris Leachman's last message in Kiss Me Deadly.

Which was, "Remember Me".   :o

Y'know, when I hit 500 posts a couple days ago I was going to revel in self-glorification by learning how to spell 'narcissistic' and pat myself on the back to boot.  Except I have neck and shoulder problems and can't reach back that far.  Alreet, then I decided to go out and buy a bullhorn and announce to all and sundry how great I am and tell anyone listening to give me $cabbage$ as I am Mr. G, The Human Deity and I demand fealty . . . but then my artificial flowers died, my pool burned down in an oil fire (Ugh!) and my pet rock split for a boulder.  I was so depressed I forgot to admire myself in the mirror before going to bed.  GAWD, what a tough day!  

I can't wait 'til I hit 750 posts.   ;)  

• Like 1

Well, unless I'm misunderstanding, so far we've got only supporters of the idea than post and/or view counts should be done away with.

Arturo

Bogie56

Dargo

darkblue

EugeniaH

filmlover293

fxreyman

HelenBaby2

laffite

misswonderlytoo

mr6666

nakano

speedracer5

Stephan55

TheCid

TheGayDivorcee

TomJH

That's 17.

I can't really tell whether Mr. Gorman likes these counts or not. But he sure is funny pretending he does. Something tells me the count is 18.

I believe there was 1 who said it was a bad idea to not have these counts

18 to 1? In only about 9 hours we have an indication that lopsided?

Surely there must be somebody else who doesn't think post and/or view counts are a disruptive feature.

Anybody?....... Anybody?....... Bueller?

I like the post count feature. It shows quickly who the most active posters are. I find the thread view useful as well.

If 2 or 3 people obsess over it, that's their business.

I think a bigger problem for the board is one poster trying to dominate it.

I like the post count feature. It shows quickly who the most active posters are. I find the thread view useful as well.

If 2 or 3 people obsess over it, that's their business.

Excellent post. I like being able to see who the most active posters are too...especially if there was a discussion I had with that poster in the recent past-- I can quickly see if they've been active and added something new to a thread I am following.

Having a certain number of posts and views can be something to be proud of-- it does not have to mean anything negative. 

My own feeling is that there is an insecurity or jealousy that takes hold, causing people to think someone with x-number of posts or views is getting more attention. Fretting over it seems like a waste of time. 

I doubt any one person can dominate these boards. There are too many forums/sub-forums; too many threads (pages upon pages); and too many individual replies to wade through...so thinking someone can dominate is like giving the bogeyman a power to terrorize. 

It's been mentioned in several places, in several threads, that there is a feature here that some people feel serves only to cause trouble.

Post counts.

They can be manipulated far too easily for any meaningful value, and yet there are members who insist that they're something at which to point for recognition of some kind.

They seem to be becoming a sore spot with more and more members.

Perhaps it's time to petition for that feature's removal?

You mean "petition" as in this, db?

pe·ti·tion
pəˈtiSH(ə)n/
noun
noun: petition; plural noun: petitions
  1. 1.
    a formal written request, typically one signed by many people, appealing to authority with respect to a particular cause.
    "she was asked to sign a petition against plans to build on the local playing fields"
    synonyms: appeal, round robin
    "more than 1,000 people signed the petition"
  • Like 1

You mean "petition" as in this, db?

pe·ti·tion
pəˈtiSH(ə)n/
noun
noun: petition; plural noun: petitions
  1. 1.
    a formal written request, typically one signed by many people, appealing to authority with respect to a particular cause.
    "she was asked to sign a petition against plans to build on the local playing fields"
    synonyms: appeal, round robin
    "more than 1,000 people signed the petition"

I guess so.

I don't think we have 1000 members though.

Yeah, more like, on an average day, 45 active posters who actually participate here. In which case 21 out of 45 is pretty good ! B)

Yep. Not too likely to come up with many names from the current roster of regular posters. There just aren't that many, are there?

But, we're getting some new members from that class, ay. Maybe they'll get annoyed enough eventually too.

Yeah, more like, on an average day, 45 active posters who actually participate here. In which case 21 out of 45 is pretty good ! B)

I think that is an erroneous statement. According to the website statistics, on May 26th, we had 506 active members posting on the boards-- and that was not counting guests lurking/reading. 

I made a comment about this in Holden's thread re: the SUTS schedule-- because I figured since the August schedule information was so late that is why all those people showed up, because they were eager to see which stars were going to be honored later this summer.

So at no time recently have we had just 45 active posters. Also, the 21 out of 45 fraction implies things are far from unanimous with regards to the topic of this thread. Even if it was 44 out of 45, it would still not be unanimous. 

Yep. Not too likely to come up with many names from the current roster of regular posters. There just aren't that many, are there?

But, we're getting some new members from that class, ay. Maybe they'll get annoyed enough eventually too.

It is nice to know that a growing majority of regular posters would like to do away with this vainglorious feature.

Hopefully those interested in promoting a harmonious environment would take the ideas in this informal 'petition' into consideration.

• Like 2

You can add me to the list -- I'd love to see the post counts, view counts, and other vanity stuff disappear. They're never necessary and rarely useful. Serious forums don't use them.

Just in case anyone is in serious need of nightmares -- some forums also display the number of likes the poster's received! Can you imagine the number of sock puppets and swelled heads that leads to?

• Like 1

You can add me to the list -- I'd love to see the post counts, view counts, and other vanity stuff disappear. They're never necessary and rarely useful. Serious forums don't use them.

Haven't read the entire thread, but if that's what you're suggesting, I'm ok with doing away with numbers. 

Heck, when seeing my overall post count, I'm EMBARRASSED about how much time I must have wasted on an internet message board!

• Like 1

All these statistics are useless. Just reading through several of these posts, it's clear some posters interpret data any way they like to further their own point of view. In some cases, there are some outright lies here. These posters would not last one week in my freshman quantitative reasoning class. On the other hand, they would make good politicians, from both sides of the political aisle.

So we can continue to use this data to exaggerate, misinform, boast, etc., or we can do the sane thing and get rid of all of it.

Now excuse me while I go for a walk/jog on this lovely day in Connecticut, and get on with my life.

• Like 1

I've only belonged to the TCM boards since late May 2015--but my opinion is, we can do much at First with a poll, like this thread is doing--see what a TCM moderator(s) reply--then go ahead--if agreed upon by a majority--because TCM moderators will first have to cull (mark off) the deceased members, then the merely inactive (those who haven't visited the boards in 5 years, say)--then we come up with, say 35,000 verified (just like in Sierra Club and other environmental, et. al. organizations)--and petitions Can be done solely by Internet--then TCM has to redesign their website, to some degree, again.  This is where I see the main hurdle--if TCM did redesign their website in the last two years, assuming everything I've read is correct--how much did it cost, how fast are they recouping their money, and how much Will it cost for the agreed-upon new redesign???

The good part--this poll is an excellent first step, in that it's free and on target:) 

I've never paid post counts any mind.  They have 'em in other forums I'm a member of, but NObody in any of THEM have ever bothered to use them as a reason to boast!  I'd prefer, but for no specific reason, they be replaced(if they MUST be removed) by posting a member's registration date.  That's ALSO done in other forums.

You CAN look at it THIS way, if it bothers you so much...

Think of the SCARECROW'S line in THE WIZARD OF OZ---

"Some people without brains do an AWFUL lot of talking!"  :P

Might help you get through it!

Sepiatone

All these statistics are useless. Just reading through several of these posts, it's clear some posters interpret data any way they like to further their own point of view. In some cases, there are some outright lies here. These posters would not last one week in my freshman quantitative reasoning class. On the other hand, they would make good politicians, from both sides of the political aisle.

So we can continue to use this data to exaggerate, misinform, boast, etc., or we can do the sane thing and get rid of all of it.

Now excuse me while I go for a walk/jog on this lovely day in Connecticut, and get on with my life.

My sentiments exactly. The "data" collected is a bunch of baloney and serves no purpose other than to have silly threads posted about how "meaningful" this nonsense is. What a waste of time and energy. So many of us pay no attention to any of it.

Now I'm also on my way for a lovely walk. Just came up to NE a few days ago and it's a glorious day.

I've only belonged to the TCM boards since late May 2015--but my opinion is, we can do much at First with a poll, like this thread is doing--see what a TCM moderator(s) reply--then go ahead--if agreed upon by a majority--because TCM moderators will first have to cull (mark off) the deceased members, then the merely inactive (those who haven't visited the boards in 5 years, say)--then we come up with, say 35,000 verified (just like in Sierra Club and other environmental, et. al. organizations)--and petitions Can be done solely by Internet--then TCM has to redesign their website, to some degree, again.  This is where I see the main hurdle--if TCM did redesign their website in the last two years, assuming everything I've read is correct--how much did it cost, how fast are they recouping their money, and how much Will it cost for the agreed-upon new redesign???

The good part--this poll is an excellent first step, in that it's free and on target:) 

Doesn't the OP mean 'petition' in a general sense?  Not literal?

I take it as a discussion thread that then might lead to some TCM hierarchy considering what a waste of time all these post counts are and the detrimental effect that they may have on the message board community.

I have to confess that I don't think I can go with the majority on this. I've known situations where a teacher, or an employer, institutes a rule because of one naughty pupil or employee; I think that's overkill.

Statistics are useful at best and interesting at worst. All statistics need to be interpreted -- a substantive post in a conversational thread is different from a post in the Games section. (I'm not even sure one has more value than the other; at best each is fulfilling for the poster, and, one hopes, the reader).  I don't see statistics being about value; rather, about engagement. And yes, some posters may compulsively go through every thread when they log on and feel obliged to comment. And some don't. 

Is there at least one poster who has an exaggerated view of the value of statistics? Obviously. But I can't let one person's excesses dictate my feeling about the value of statistics on the one hand, or the interesting nature of statistics on the other.

Some thread titles "drop bombs." They encourage engagement because a few posters just want a good (and sometimes nasty) argument, and I haven't been above that myself. Other threads have posts so long (though not necessarily uninteresting) that one wants to echo Mae West's line to Harold Huber in Klondike Annie: "Can't you ever say anything the short way?"  To which a verbose poster might well respond with Mantan Moreland's line from King of the Zombies: "Can I help it cause I'm loquacious?" A word-count statistic for each poster might be interesting! (Not that long posts are bad, in general. Sometimes they contain fascinating information. But sometimes (particularly in threads that are more about conversations than information posting) they just serve to make a thread so long that one doesn't go to previous pages, which leads to repetition.)

So, at the risk of making this post too long, I will repeat myself: Statistics are good at best; interesting at worst. Interpretation is needed, but even if it's not forthcoming or not accurate, the statistics themselves are still interesting and shouldn't be eschewed just because of one poster's bizarre infatuation with them.

[sepia: The registration date of each poster ("Member since...") is posted.]

Haven't read the entire thread, but if that's what you're suggesting, I'm ok with doing away with numbers. 

Heck, when seeing my overall post count, I'm EMBARRASSED about how much time I must have wasted on an internet message board!

What TikiSoo said. I bolded her last sentence, because yeah, sometimes I'm embarrassed at how many posts I have!

I am experiencing a technical problem with my sign-in page - don't worry, I won't go into boring detail.

However, there's a possibility that I might have a new user name. In fact, I'm thinking of deliberately altering my user name just to make a "clean start", zero threads, views, posts.

(I'd make the new name a variation of my current one, so people would still know it was me.)

The reason I'm talking about this here is, I'm perfectly happy with "losing" the accumulated number of views and posts I've got. I don't care. I do care that people would still know my identity here, which is why I'd only slightly change the user name (and I'd probably use the same avatar pic.)

• Like 3

Excellent post down there, Swithin. Have to say I agree with most if not all of it, and after further reviewing this thread.

However, tell me. When you made the following observations in it:

[..]

Why Darg, shirley you are referring to that Olivia Newton John, "Let's Get Personal".

Oh wait, that's "Let's Get Physical".

Darg, I hate to tell you this, but it's impossible to "get physical" on the internet. Some sites have attempted it, but there's nothing like Up Close and Personal.

(one day you and I ought to have a Pun-Off.  Of course, the "Pun-Off" would be a "One -Off", because everyone else would shout us off the boards. But then, look at the view-counts we'd have.)

Edited by TCMModerator1
Portion of quote removed
  • Like 1