Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Petition to TCM Forums?

Excellent post down there, Swithin. Have to say I agree with most if not all of it, and after further reviewing this thread.

However, tell me. When you made the following observations in it:

[..]

Good morning, Dargo. I felt obliged to allude to that poster, who seems to be the motivation for this thread. I tried to address the issue of statistics without getting personal. At the end of the day (a phrase which some people hate), it's up to the moderators to deal with issues between posters and issues of bad behavior. I say this with all candour, since this discussion about thread counts seems to be flavour of the month on all sides!

Edited by TCMModerator1
Portion of quote removed

Good morning, Dargo. I felt obliged to allude to that poster, who seems to be the motivation for this thread. I tried to address the issue of statistics without getting personal. At the end of the day (a phrase which some people hate), it's up to the moderators to deal with issues between posters and issues of bad behavior. I say this with all candour, since this discussion about thread counts seems to be flavour of the month on all sides!

Yes, yes it is. Sad.

:wacko:

• Like 1

Looks like I win my bet here, eh Swith?!

YOU know, the one I KNEW the mods in their "infinite wisdom" would send out to Billy Mumy's cornfield.

And so, tell ya what here, folks...I GIVE THE HELL UP in this regard as there apparently is NOTHING that can be done about a certain poster using this website as HIS OWN PERSONAL BLOG and MANY times OBVIOUS attempts to act as some sort of self-appointed Moderator of the TCM website, and now I've come to ACCEPT this.

(...you will NEVER hear of me, EITHER in jest OR flat out STATING a comment about this situation EVER AGAIN in ANY thread whatsoever...PERIOD!!!!)

Looks like I win my bet here, eh Swith?!

LOL, I just noticed the Mod edited something out of my last post, and I don't remember what it was!  No doubt -- to borrow a phrase from your distinguished self -- it was "some of my best work!"  If you know what it was, PM me -- I really haven't got a clue, and I'm curious!

• Like 1

LOL, I just noticed the Mod edited something out of my last post, and I don't remember what it was!  No doubt -- to borrow a phrase from your distinguished self -- it was "some of my best work!"  If you know what it was, PM me -- I really haven't got a clue, and I'm curious!

I'll send ya a PM a little later, Swithin.

(...and don't be surprised if it'll contain some "colourful" language within it!) ;)

I'll send ya a PM a little later, Swithin.

(...and don't be surprised if it'll contain some "colourful" language within it!) ;)

Thanks -- I look forward to the reminder. I thought it was a perfectly innocuous post!

I still don't understand why posting a post count is important other than to gloat. Can a person see their own number of posts? I am sincere with that question since I use my phone and not a laptop. I would be mortified if someone were to mention my number of posts, views, likes etc...

I still don't understand why posting a post count is important other than to gloat. Can a person see their own number of posts? I am sincere with that question since I use my phone and not a laptop. I would be mortified if someone were to mention my number of posts, views, likes etc...

Your post count appears under your avatar, even if you choose not to exhibit an avatar. The count also appears in your profile.

In some cases, a poster's post count appears on his/her mirror, stationary, mailbox, and post-it notes stuck on appliances and furniture.

• Like 4

Your post count appears under your avatar, even if you choose not to exhibit an avatar. The count also appears in your profile.

In some cases, a poster's post count appears on his/her mirror, stationary, mailbox, and post-it notes stuck on appliances and furniture.

LOL

No, make that, ROFL!

(...yep Rich, as many say around here, you ARE the "master" when it comes to these sorts of comic observations...and I am but a pale imitation standing your shadow, sir!) ;) 

Hilarious Rich and most likely so TRUE  :D

Of course there are persons whom are homebound, and others that are quite remote. So posting for them may be one of the few forms of socialization available.

I'm really glad they let me use the library computer here at San Quentin. :)

• Like 1

I guess it's along the line of the grade-schoolers "mine's bigger'n yours" mentality :P

I'm really glad they let me use the library computer here at San Quentin. :)

Well, I guess if the wardens don't let inmates practice their Ornithology in prisons anymore, this probably IS the next best way to while-away the ol' hours, huh! 

628x471.jpg

Thanks. I found it. I had to click on full version and then my profile and yes quite embarrassing for me, I suppose.

Lol.

I think a bigger problem for the board is one poster trying to dominate it.

My sentiments exactly.  I joined the boards in 2011 (and browsed the threads before then), and in that time I never saw that post counts were an issue until more recently.  The problem is not post counts, it's disruptive people.  But we other members seem to be not allowed to express our frustrations without getting our posts removed and threads shut down, so now darkblue is trying this.  Good luck, darkblue... 

My apologies if my post gets this thread locked up.  I haven't mentioned names, so I hope the mods have the decency to let us continue the conversation.  What a shame that continual disruptions like these have to take up so much of our time here.

• Like 3

I have to confess that I don't think I can go with the majority on this. I've known situations where a teacher, or an employer, institutes a rule because of one naughty pupil or employee; I think that's overkill.

Statistics are useful at best and interesting at worst. All statistics need to be interpreted -- a substantive post in a conversational thread is different from a post in the Games section. (I'm not even sure one has more value than the other; at best each is fulfilling for the poster, and, one hopes, the reader).  I don't see statistics being about value; rather, about engagement. And yes, some posters may compulsively go through every thread when they log on and feel obliged to comment. And some don't. 

Is there at least one poster who has an exaggerated view of the value of statistics? Obviously. But I can't let one person's excesses dictate my feeling about the value of statistics on the one hand, or the interesting nature of statistics on the other.

Some thread titles "drop bombs." They encourage engagement because a few posters just want a good (and sometimes nasty) argument, and I haven't been above that myself. Other threads have posts so long (though not necessarily uninteresting) that one wants to echo Mae West's line to Harold Huber in Klondike Annie: "Can't you ever say anything the short way?"  To which a verbose poster might well respond with Mantan Moreland's line from King of the Zombies: "Can I help it cause I'm loquacious?" A word-count statistic for each poster might be interesting! (Not that long posts are bad, in general. Sometimes they contain fascinating information. But sometimes (particularly in threads that are more about conversations than information posting) they just serve to make a thread so long that one doesn't go to previous pages, which leads to repetition.)

So, at the risk of making this post too long, I will repeat myself: Statistics are good at best; interesting at worst. Interpretation is needed, but even if it's not forthcoming or not accurate, the statistics themselves are still interesting and shouldn't be eschewed just because of one poster's bizarre infatuation with them.

[sepia: The registration date of each poster ("Member since...") is posted.]

At worst interesting?

Counts of posts and views can be clearly aggravating. Maybe disruptive would be a better word for the status of worst than is the word "interesting".

And these post/view counts hardly qualify as "statistics" in any meaningful sense of the word.

• Like 1

I still don't understand why posting a post count is important other than to gloat. 

I still don't understand why a post count can't be important to some. It doesn't have to signify gloating at all. For some, the color blue is important-- for others, the color red is important. Analysing the whys and wherefores seems tedious at best. 

Thanks. I found it. I had to click on full version and then my profile and yes quite embarrassing for me, I suppose.

Lol.

Please don't be embarrassed. The point is, there's no value judgement attached to post counts, it's just a statistic. I just noticed that Dargo has about 50 more posts than I do, and I've been here five years longer. Does that make me a bad person?

To paraphrase a song from Funny Girl:

"Is a post-count deprivation, such a crime against the nation,

Should they throw me into jail or drown the cat?"

My sentiments exactly.  I joined the boards in 2011 (and browsed the threads before then), and in that time I never saw that post counts were an issue until more recently.  The problem is not post counts, it's disruptive people.  But we other members seem to be not allowed to express our frustrations without getting our posts removed and threads shut down, so now darkblue is trying this.  Good luck, darkblue... 

My apologies if my post gets this thread locked up.  I haven't mentioned names, so I hope the mods have the decency to let us continue the conversation.  What a shame that continual disruptions like these have to take up so much of our time here.

Excellent post Genie, totally agree with you and the MAJORITY of posters also agree. Post counts, view counts, who CARES???? As I said NOT the majority of posters on the bds. Not only don't I believe they are important in any way but I don't believe they are accurate.

Please don't be embarrassed. The point is, there's no value judgement attached to post counts, it's just a statistic. I just noticed that Dargo has just over 150 more posts than I do, and I've been here five years longer. Does that make me a bad person?

There can be a value judgment applied to statistics, and most statisticians will acknowledge that. After a point, the data has to be synthesized. It is up to the individual what type of value is being placed on the numbers. 

Now we all know that the designers of this website (software) must have had a reason for including it, and for all we know, TCM could use the data in some way. 

Also, if people are getting upset about the post counts and view counts then that suggests they are placing a value on it (a negative value no less). 

In the case of comparing one member's counts to another, I don't think that practice has ever been suggested or encouraged by anyone around here. But if one were to place a value on it, perhaps one could say a member was more productive on a given day or else had more interaction with fellow film enthusiasts on the website during a given time.

We do have one poster with over 40,000 posts. The value I place on it is that he has spent a lot of time replying to others and sharing his ideas about TCM and its classic film programming. So I place a positive value on it. Why not.

But if one were to place a value on it, perhaps one could say a member was more productive on a given day or else had more interaction with fellow film enthusiasts on the website during a given time.

We do have one poster with over 40,000 posts. The value I place on it is that he has placed a lot of time replying to others and sharing his ideas about TCM and its classic film programming. So I place a positive value on it. Why not.

With respect, I disagree with your points I've excerpted above. The words "productive" and "sharing" do not necessarily mean "positive" in terms of post numbers.  One can be productive in terms of numbers by being insulting, or abusive, or just plain boring. The point I want to make is that there are NO value judgements that can be placed on the numbers, in terms of the content/quality of the posts. 

• Like 3

Well said.   People are becoming increasingly frustrated.   I only wish I could say more.

With respect, I disagree with your points I've excerpted above. The words "productive" and "sharing" do not necessarily mean "positive" in terms of post numbers.  One can be productive in terms of numbers by being totally insulting, or abusive, or just plain boring. The point I want to make is that there are NO value judgements that can be placed on the numbers, in terms of the content/quality of the posts. 

Holy cow!

I had no idea he was here! Something tells me there's a helluva lot more people using "ignore" than just me.

• Like 1

With respect, I disagree with your points I've excerpted above. The words "productive" and "sharing" do not necessarily mean "positive" in terms of post numbers.  One can be productive in terms of numbers by being totally insulting, or abusive, or just plain boring. The point I want to make is that there are NO value judgements that can be placed on the numbers, in terms of the content/quality of the posts. 

I believe you may be confusing the issue. Productivity and sharing can be positive if we look at any given poster's content and find a plus in it. 

There is a value judgment placed on the numbers if someone decides that a person with 30,000 or 100,000 posts has been consistently strong in their contributions. Of course, not every post is going to be perfectly written or entirely successful, but if you have faith in the poster's overall contributions you can understand (reasonably so) that a person with large number of posts has possibly made a large number of positive contributions to the discussions.

Holy cow!

I had no idea he was here! Something tells me there's a helluva lot more people using "ignore" than just me.

Obviously this topic means a great deal to him.  

• Like 1