Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Petition to TCM Forums?

darkblue

With respect, I disagree with your points I've excerpted above. The words "productive" and "sharing" do not necessarily mean "positive" in terms of post numbers.  One can be productive in terms of numbers by being totally insulting, or abusive, or just plain boring. The point I want to make is that there are NO value judgements that can be placed on the numbers, in terms of the content/quality of the posts. 

Thank You Swithin for explaining your feelings about this and this last post of yours was excellent. Quality over Quantity is what's important. 

I believe you may be confusing the issue. Productivity and sharing can be positive if we look at any given poster's content and find a plus in it. 

There is a value judgment placed on the numbers if someone decides that a person with 30,000 or 100,000 posts has been consistently strong in their contributions. Of course, not every post is going to be perfectly written or entirely successful, but if you have faith in the poster's overall contributions you can understand (reasonably so) that a person with large number of posts has possibly made a large number of positive contributions to the discussions.

What I'm trying to say is that the pure numbers are more or less objective. Words you've used like "strong in their contributions," etc., are extremely relative -- something we better not get into here. For example, I may think my posts make me "strong in my contributions," etc.  Everyone else here may not have that opinion of my posts, no matter how numerous my posts may be.  So we want to stay away from anything that resembles a value judgement about the content in relation to the numbers, or we can get into trouble.  

Thank You Swithin for explaining your feelings about this and this last post of yours was excellent. Quality over Quantity is what's important. 

And could we get anyone to admit that throwing parties for the number of postings is certainly sending the wrong signals as to the value of that statistic?

And I mean the above as a clinical question.

• Like 1

Quality ...... is what's important. 

Now, if the counts could reflect that , they might be worth having.

As it is now, they have no value whatsoever that I can see. They're just a tool that people can use to annoy others.

As it is now, they have no value whatsoever that I can see. They're just a tool that people can use to annoy others.

Post counts don't annoy people. People annoy people.  :)

I respectfully disagree with the above statement. Why? Because quality and quantity can both be great in measurement and work together. They do not have to be exclusive of one another. There can be a lot of quality in a high quantity. So it is not about putting one concept over the other. 

And could we get anyone to admit that throwing parties for the number of postings is certainly sending the wrong signals as to the value of that statistic?

I think judging from the posts other than those of one or two posters, there's no support for "throwing parties"n that's one of the silliest ideas to be posted on these bds. so far. 

• Like 3

You mean like endlessly posting after someone Yup....can result in a high post count, but useless basically. Definitely quantity with no quality involved.

• Like 1

See, the concern I have with the type of comment we see above is that it presumes to know what the original poster of that thread intended without clarifying it (without asking the OP)-- instead it seems to automatically form a negative value about it. That's not the best practice in my opinion if everyone is to maintain open and friendly and less hostile communication.

It's not nice to edit my posts.

• Like 1

I'm one who couldn't care less about post counts.  It is only a quantitative statistic at best.  There isn't really any way to indicate qualitative in absolute terms, so long as upvoting can be based on  aliances in the community and not content.  I do find it interesting and unusual that this forum limits the amount of upvotes per day.  For that reason I am a bit hesitant to use upvotes here, as they seem to be loaded like dynamite in certain situations. 

In another forum, there is also vanity indication of total hours online.  That one is equally non-essential I think. 

On yet another forum, a professional one, things are a bit more regimented.  The members gain "credence" most easily by having the knowledge gained from professional associations and affiliations which many post in their signature area.  Those posters are not at liberty to promote product or answer certain questions though, as it may lead to a conflict of interest, and is against board rules.