Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Kurosawa on TCM

Kay

Heads up! Don't miss it!

I hope I'm not the only one whose been enjoying all the great Kurosawa films recently offered up by TCM. Last month we even got to see Yojimbo (1961), and everyone who caught that can look forward to the sequel, Sanjuro (1962), coming on tomorrow as our second import, after Rashomon (1951). But that's not all! On July 13 there will be another Kurosawa double-feature in the morning, starting with The Bad Sleep Well (1960) and following up with Scandal (1950). Of course, all aforementioned films star Kurosawa's better half, the sensational Toshiro Mifune!

Okay, so Kurosawa isn't exactly getting the ideal time-slots, but so long as my VCR can still squeak through a tape I'm not complaining. Please don't let up, TCM! Show Drunken Idiot (1948) next!

• Like 3

By the way, I see that Sanjuro, like Yojimbo, co-stars another great actor, the wonderful and versatile Tatsuya Nakadai, who is becoming a fast favorite of mine.

yojimbo_film_the_final_showdown.jpg?v=1

Too bad he won't be reprising his role. (Or will he?)

• Like 1

Heads up! Don't miss it!

I hope I'm not the only one whose been enjoying all the great Kurosawa films recently offered up by TCM. Last month we even got to see Yojimbo (1961), and everyone who caught that can look forward to the sequel, Sanjuro (1962), coming on tomorrow as our second import, after Rashomon (1951). But that's not all! On July 13 there will be another Kurosawa double-feature in the morning, starting with The Bad Sleep Well (1960) and following up with Scandal (1950). Of course, all aforementioned films star Kurosawa's better half, the sensational Toshiro Mifune!

Okay, so Kurosawa isn't exactly getting the ideal time-slots, but so long as my VCR can still squeak through a tape I'm not complaining. Please don't let up, TCM! Show Drunken Idiot (1948) next!

Many thanks, Kay, for the Kurosawa "heads up". This director was one of the greats, in any language.  I love it when TCM honours artists in film like him.

Wonder if "Ran" is somewhere on the list?

Heads up! Don't miss it!

THRONE OF BLOOD aired last month too.

By the way, I see that Sanjuro, like Yojimbo, co-stars another great actor, the wonderful and versatile Tatsuya Nakadai, who is becoming a fast favorite of mine.

Nakadai starred in two of my all time favorite Japanese films, Harakiri and The Sword of Doom. If you haven't seen them, you should! They are both gruesome at times, but only as serves the story, and Sword of Doom has a love-it-or-hate-it ending, but I couldn't recommend either more highly.

What a picture! Great looking characters. This looks as if it could have been used as inspiration for the Dragonball Z animations.

Nakadai starred in two of my all time favorite Japanese films, Harakiri and The Sword of Doom. If you haven't seen them, you should! They are both gruesome at times, but only as serves the story, and Sword of Doom has a love-it-or-hate-it ending, but I couldn't recommend either more highly.

I'm yet to see Harakiri, but I thought Sword of Doom was fantastic. I loved the ending, it was one of the best. I can't imagine how anyone might "hate" it. And apparently it was supposed to be the beginning of a trilogy?! I'd sure like to see how that was possible. Too bad the other two never got made.

That film was my introduction to Tatsuya Nakadai. He plays an excellent psychopath. Besides those two films I've only seen him in Kurosawa's High and Low, in which he has a less flashy role, though he's good in it. That's a great film, too. Very Fritz Lang-ish, in some ways.

(That picture is from Yojimbo. I wish I'd gotten this up before it aired.)

I made myself a mini Tatsuya Nakadai film festival last year and watched these back to back ... Yojimbo; Sanuro; Kwaidan; High and Low; The Sword of Doom; Harakiri; Samurai Rebellion; Kagemusha; and Ran.

He's very good in slightly psychotic roles.  Seeing Yojimbo and Ran close together was interesting.  He was playing much older than his years in Ran and I think it worked well.

The Sword of Doom has some amazing fights in it, doesn't it.

Any Dodes Ka-Den fans out there? I've seen it maybe three times and I like to go back to about every so often. First color film for Kurosawa, thematic rather than plot, vignettes involving characters living in a slum, great looks at different kind of folks, quite a show really. Doubt that it's been shown on TCM. One of the characters is a little boy who is obsessed with trains. Every day of his life he becomes a train. There he goes tripping down the lane. Other boys throw rocks at him because he thinks he's a train. His mother fights despair, prays fervently for her son to forget all about trains and to be a normal boy. As the train goes down the path, the boy makes the sound, Dodes Ka-den, Dodes Ka-den, Dodes Ka-Den, over and over. It sounds like a train, the sound that comes when the train passes over the tracks. This little boy is the title character, so-to-speak. But he is only one story, There are quite a few stories and a wide array of characters. Some of the scenes are quite memorable. Anyone else like this film?

Any Dodes Ka-Den fans out there? I've seen it maybe three times and I like to go back to about every so often. First color film for Kurosawa, thematic rather than plot, vignettes involving characters living in a slum, great looks at different kind of folks, quite a show really. Doubt that it's been shown on TCM. One of the characters is a little boy who is obsessed with trains. Every day of his life he becomes a train. There he goes tripping down the lane. Other boys throw rocks at him because he thinks he's a train. His mother fights despair, prays fervently for her son to forget all about trains and to be a normal boy. As the train goes down the path, the boy makes the sound, Dodes Ka-den, Dodes Ka-den, Dodes Ka-Den, over and over. It sounds like a train, the sound that comes when the train passes over the tracks. This little boy is the title character, so-to-speak. But he is only one story, There are quite a few stories and a wide array of characters. Some of the scenes are quite memorable. Anyone else like this film?

I finally saw Dodes-Ka-Den on the big screen a few years ago and sad to say, was quite disappointed.

But not as disappointed as when I saw Fellini's last film, The Voice of the Moon a week ago.  That was pretty awful all round.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings