Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm going out of town this week so I have to set my DVR for Friday's films tonight. On the schedule, I haven't seen:

Danger Signal (1945)
Deadline at Dawn (1946)

Johnny Angel (1946)

The Gangster (1947)

Tomorrow is Another Day (1951)

And I know nothing about any of them! Which should I prioritize?

So this post is helpful for others as well, here are the ones I'd prioritize of the ones I have seen:

Laura (1944) - one of the most romantic noirs there is

Murder, My Sweet (1944) - lesser known depiction of Philip Marlowe, but definitely worthwhile

Detour (1945) - possibly the best B noir ever, and one of the most definitive femme fatales

Mildred Pierce (1945) - great combination of noir and melodrama

Gun Crazy (1950) - a proto-Bonnie & Clyde with some really great low-budget, docu-style filmmaking

So...that's most of them. Oops. What can I say, it's a great lineup! If the ones I haven't seen are half as good as the ones I have, maybe I should DVR all of them!

• Like 2

Wish I could help, but most of the ones on the list for June 12 are new to me, with the exception of Laura (watched it again Thursday), Mildred Pierce, Detour (and if you ever get the chance to read up on Tom Neal, his life could've been a noir movie!), and my very favorite, Nightmare Alley.  LOVE Nightmare Alley!

• Like 2

I think it's best to prioritize the ones you haven't seen yet. I haven't seen DANGER SIGNAL, so that's a priority for me. Also, it has been maybe five years since I've seen THE GANGSTER (it does not air very often on TCM) so that's another priority title for me. Finally, Ruth Roman is among my top ten favorite actresses (my list is published on my user profile page) so I have to see TOMORROW IS ANOTHER DAY. Plus if I don't watch that film, Scarlett O'Hara won't invite me to the cotillion ball later this month.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm not planning to record any I haven't seen of these - I remember them all pretty well. Just wasn't sure if I should record all five I haven't seen or not! I'm hoping to get time to watch some on the Watch TCM app while I'm gone, but I don't want to depend on that. I guess I'll record all of them and hope my DVR doesn't explode.

My cable guide's description for Tomorrow Is Another Day is: "Lovers go on the lam after she dupes him into thinking he killed her former boyfriend." Well, I've DEFINITELY gotta see that.

• Like 2

My cable guide's description for Tomorrow Is Another Day is: "Lovers go on the lam after she dupes him into thinking he killed her former boyfriend." Well, I've DEFINITELY gotta see that.

Yeah...and the 'him' in the scenario is Steve Cochran. Can't go wrong with that!

Let us know what you think of the film after you've seen it..would like to read your impressions.

"Tomorrow is another day" I remember as an excellent well constructed story and well paced.

I too have not seen Danger Signal (1945), Deadline at Dawn (1946), Johnny Angel (1946), The Gangster (1947).

I would suggest record the ones you have not seen along with one or two of your favorites ones you have seen. that's a good balance.

Deadline at Dawn is a lot of fun, very wordy Clifford Odets Script from a Cornell Woolrich story so it's a weird slightly overwritten feel that seems to be aiming a lot higher and packing a lot more into it than it can perhaps take but Susan Hayward is superb in it and it has a nice amnesia/blackout drunk plot. 

Like I said it's a bit overwrought but it's genuinely fun, it's noir from it's elements but it's feel is something slightly different.

Jandy here's what I said over on letterboxd

http://letterboxd.com/owene73/film/deadline-at-dawn/

I'm noticing that a lot of films in this series are VERY short.  (It's nice now because I can usually watch about three of them in 4-5 hours!)

I'm wondering if these were generally shown as double-features in theatres.  Weren't other movies of the day a more standard 90-120 minutes in length?

I've never seen the deadline at dawn, but I love Susan Hayward films, so already I'm being exposed to pics I've yet to see(always just when I think i've covered them all.) I discover Detour about 3 years ago after having read an articl on line about Tom Neal and Barbara Payton's tumultous lifestyle. The first thing I noticed was the film quality reminding me of the 1940's east side kids movies (especially the one with Bela lugosi) of my youth. The song in Detour is HAUNTIING......

I've never seen the deadline at dawn, but I love Susan Hayward films

DEADLINE AT DAWN was made during a loanout to RKO. She was under contract to producer Walter Wanger at the time. It is notable for being one of the first films Bill Williams did (if not the first film). Williams was quickly typecast as a soldier returning home and did a similar role for RKO in TILL THE END OF TIME, with Bob Mitchum and Dorothy McGuire.

I'm sad to see how little of this week's schedule is easily available to me.

I own Laura and Ministry of Fear. Detour is in the public domain.

The rest of the list isn't available on iTunes or streaming, and I've not seen any of it (except the neo noir, Night Moves).

How are The Glass Key and Mildred Pierce not available on blu ray yet?