Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Richard Widmark - Film Noir

I love the Summer of Darkness Film Noir festival, but I'm very disappointed that Richard Widmark's films have not been represented e.g. Night And The City, Pickup on South Street, Kiss of Death, Road House, Run for the Sun, and Panic in the Streets. I'm hoping that next year Summer of Darkness Film Noir will feature the incredible films of Richard Widmark.  I'd also like to see Richard Widmark featured as a TCM Star of the Month. He was an actor with incredible range. Thanks.

• Like 1

I love the Summer of Darkness Film Noir festival, but I'm very disappointed that Richard Widmark's films have not been represented e.g. Night And The City, Pickup on South Street, Kiss of Death, Road House, Run for the Sun, and Panic in the Streets. I'm hoping that next year Summer of Darkness Film Noir will feature the incredible films of Richard Widmark.  I'd also like to see Richard Widmark featured as a TCM Star of the Month. He was an actor with incredible range. Thanks.

Note that TCM doesn't lease many 20th Century Fox films.   One reason is that Fox features their films on their own networks.   Therefore Fox either isn't willing to lease certain films or the cost to lease them doesn't 'fit' TCM's budget.   

E.G. MOVIES-TV is a Fox related network and they have shown all of the films you mentioned (except Run for the Sun) in the last few months.   Saturday Night is their Noir film night and I have seen these films during that,  as well as many other 20th Century Fox noir classics with such stars as Dana Andrews, Richard Conte,  Linda Darnell and Gene Tierney. 

Now TCM finally showed Laura,  but this was a special type lease and one Osborne really pushed for since Tierney is his favorite.  TCM has also shown Pick-Up on South Street and Kiss of Death,  but who knows when they will show them again (e.g. the lease of these films may have expired).

So,  yea,  sorry to say that the odds are not good for TCM to show these films and we are left with stations like MOVIES-TV that sadly show commercials. 

Oh,  as for Widmark;   He is great in those noirs.   I saw Night and the City for the first time about a month ago.   That is one dark movie.    A great noir even with the setting being London.  

• Like 1

Thanks jamesjazzguitar for the information you gave me. Appreciate it. Hopefully TCM will be able to option more of Richard Widmark 20th Century Fox films so that everyone can appreciate this incredibly talented actor......whether in a film noir or not.

Marsha,

Welcome to the message board community.

Not sure if you get FXM Retro, but many of Widmark's films air on that channel, without commercials. But TCM is pretty good about broadcasting some of them, as well.

For those who love Widmark, another guy who played similar roles in noir (and westerns) was Dan Duryea.

Richard Widmark is often mentioned as the most terrifying bad guy ever in Film Noir for his character Tommy Udo in 1947's KISS OF DEATH. 

This was his feature acting debut, and immediately garnered him an Oscar nomination. He plays opposite Victor Mature - who is also excellent in this film. Widmark basically starts as a minor character in the film, but he is the one you will remember for the rest of your life at the end. Highly, highly recommended!

post-36144-0-64681800-1433750808_thumb.jpg

post-36144-0-64681800-1433750808_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings