Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Don't miss I See a Dark Stranger tomorrow.

slaytonf

Yes, we've seen it before, but there's nothing wrong with taking the time to see this witty, amusing WW II suspense thriller.  Deborah Kerr sparkles in the role of a naive, I mean really naive, Irish slip of a girl, who, coming into her own, sets off from her small village to the big world of Dublin to offer her services to the IRA as her part in righting the wrongs visited on the Isle of Eire all these centuries ago by Oliver Cromwell (for whom she nurses an unaccountably personal animosity).  She stumbles onto something more than she bargained for, or realizes, getting involved in Nazi shenanigans relating to D-Day.  There is good writing, and able direction along the way, so much so that the movie even gets away with some pretty dark comedy at one point.  But is is Deborah Kerr's movie all the way, and Trevor Howard, fully able to carry a movie on his own, is barley able to hold on with his fingernails as the somewhat two-dimensional love interest.

• Like 3

Yes, we've seen it before, but there's nothing wrong with taking the time to see this witty, amusing WW II suspense thriller.  Deborah Kerr sparkles in the role of a naive, I mean really naive, Irish slip of a girl, who, coming into her own, sets off from her small village to the big world of Dublin to offer her services to the IRA as her part in righting the wrongs visited on the Isle of Eire all these centuries ago by Oliver Cromwell (for whom she nurses an unaccountably personal animosity).  She stumbles onto something more than she bargained for, or realizes, getting involved in Nazi shenanigans relating to D-Day.  There is good writing, and able direction along the way, so much so that the movie even gets away with some pretty dark comedy at one point.  But is is Deborah Kerr's movie all the way, and Trevor Howard, fully able to carry a movie on his own, is barley able to hold on with his fingernails as the somewhat two-dimensional love interest.

Thanks for the heads up on this one, slaytonf.

This movie was not on my radar.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings