Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I thought I'd share how I'm trying to approach the Friday films because there is too much film noir goodness to watch everything.

I'm not going to watch any that I've already seen. (I have a plan for some of those later.)

I plan to record the three most intriguing each Friday, which will probably include the one for the next week's podcast, and watch one Friday night, Saturday night, and Sunday night. (I don't think I can watch noir in the daytime. It's just wrong!)

Then, when the course is over, I'm planning to rewatch some of my old favorite films noir, to see how taking the course changes the viewing experience.

Of course, this is all pretty easy to say during Week 1. I do tend to overcommit myself. If I didn't, I wouldn't be in this class.  :)

• Like 3

sounds close to my approach but I find myself watching stranger on the third floor on a summers morning while watching my daughter. which seems against the spirit of things.

I'd planned on focusing on the ones I hadn't seen but that inevitably means leaving the real landmarks which are probably the most important ones for the course. I've a feeling all study plans might go out of the window and I'll end up rewatching a lot of bogart this week :)

• Like 1

i like your suggestions.  I tend to watch the ones I know again and again.  There are so many, I can see me not coming up for air all summer.  I will have to set some limits because I need to cook and clean occasionally.  I am excited this will be a fun summer

Being in Australia, I don't have access to TCM, so I'm taking a 'whatever I can get access to' approach.

That does mostly leave me watching the ones I've seen before, as I have them on blu ray, a few on Hulu/Netflix, and buying some from iTunes.

Unfortuantely, most weeks we will only have access to 3 to 5 of the films - Hopefully they line up well with the movies specifically talked about int he Daily Doses and the podcast.

i like your suggestions.  I tend to watch the ones I know again and again.  There are so many, I can see me not coming up for air all summer.  I will have to set some limits because I need to cook and clean occasionally.  I am excited this will be a fun summer

Ha! I've pretty much given up on the cleaning idea during the course. No one will be allowed to come to our house until Labor Day!  :)

• Like 3

sounds close to my approach but I find myself watching stranger on the third floor on a summers morning while watching my daughter. which seems against the spirit of things.

I'd planned on focusing on the ones I hadn't seen but that inevitably means leaving the real landmarks which are probably the most important ones for the course. I've a feeling all study plans might go out of the window and I'll end up rewatching a lot of bogart this week :)

Yes, I was not loving my idea when I looked at this week's movies. "Laura" and "Murder My Sweet"! I've only seen "Murder My Sweet" once, but I have the Laura DVD. This week's Daily Dose is really making me want to watch it again. But I think I'll get even more out of it if I wait until August.

• Like 1

I thought I'd share how I'm trying to approach the Friday films because there is too much film noir goodness to watch everything.

I'm not going to watch any that I've already seen. (I have a plan for some of those later.)

I plan to record the three most intriguing each Friday, which will probably include the one for the next week's podcast, and watch one Friday night, Saturday night, and Sunday night. (I don't think I can watch noir in the daytime. It's just wrong!)

Then, when the course is over, I'm planning to rewatch some of my old favorite films noir, to see how taking the course changes the viewing experience.

Of course, this is all pretty easy to say during Week 1. I do tend to overcommit myself. If I didn't, I wouldn't be in this class.  :)

I like your approach Jeanne. I think it's a near-perfect way to do it. 

Sometimes when I have a lot of films to get through, I will do one of two things-- choose one without looking and then see if it's something I really want to see. Or I may be in the mood to watch something featuring a certain actor or actress I always enjoy.

• Like 2

Unfortunately, for me it is simply a case of catching what I can when I can.  I don't own a DVR, so I can't record them for later viewing.  However, I do subscribe to NetFlix and Amazon Prime, so I've been using those to fill in the gaps.   :D

• Like 1

Unfortunately, for me it is simply a case of catching what I can when I can.  I don't own a DVR, so I can't record them for later viewing.  However, I do subscribe to NetFlix and Amazon Prime, so I've been using those to fill in the gaps.   :D

That's a good approach, too. Using multiple sources is a way to make sure you do not miss something.