Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TV Movies You'd Like to see on TCM ... once in a while

No mention of Hot Spell yet?

I would say ROOTS would be good to see on TCM.

I watched Rich Man/Poor Man when it was originally broadcast.  Recently it popped up on TV.  Watched a little of a couple of episodes, but somehow just wasn't that interesting anymore.  This may be a problem with many mini-series.  Once you've seen them, very hard to watch for many, many hours again.

Also, if TCM started showing mini-series, this would really impact ability to show movies.  Both in costs and time devoted to them.

As for Hot Spell, I think The Hot Spot is much more entertaining.

I watched Rich Man/Poor Man when it was originally broadcast.  Recently it popped up on TV.  Watched a little of a couple of episodes, but somehow just wasn't that interesting anymore.  This may be a problem with many mini-series.  Once you've seen them, very hard to watch for many, many hours again.

Also, if TCM started showing mini-series, this would really impact ability to show movies.  Both in costs and time devoted to them.

Encore has shown Rich Man, Poor Man, The Thornbirds, all of North and South 1&2- I watched all of them when they all first aired and all of them again on Encore in the last year. Certainly not the same impact or as interesting as when they first aired but I still enjoyed watching.

Any of those witchy, Satanist movies. I watched an episode of Starsky & Hutch today where they were being tormented by Satanists and thought that boy, witchcraft was certainly a hot topic for television in the 70s.

I have a DVD of Crowhaven Farm, but the quality isn't all that great. But it's still a fun movie.

• Like 2

TCM has no reason to limit itself to airing only theatrical movies all 365 days a year.  There's loads of interesting old made-for-television films just itching to be aired again!  ABC, CBS and NBC likely have little use for scores of their '60s, '70s and '80s television movie productions.  Maybe TCM could make a deal to air some of them.  Those tele-films are doing no one any good sitting around collecting dust . . . or worse!  (Vinegar syndrome, anyone?)

I won't list any made-for-Tv films I'd like to see which I know has been made available on homevideo, because I wanna see TVM's I can't find anywhere.  On the +PLUS+ side I've been able round up some 500+ made-for-Tv movies for my humble video collection.  ► I've always been acquisitive . . .  when I could afford it!  :P   And I've got more TVM's to collect before I'm through.  I've cast my jaundiced eye upon the VCL release of "The Killing of Randy Webster" (1981-Tvm). 

Of the made-for-TV films I've seen listed on the thread I've found a few of them for my stash:  

EXECUTION OF PRIVATE SLOVIK, The (1974-Tvm)  MCA/Universal Home Video

NIGHT STALKER, The (1971-Tvm)  Magnetic Home Video (also released on CBS/Fox Video and other labels)

QUESTOR TAPES, The (1974-Tvm) CIC Video (England) a PAL-format VHS release

FIRE! (1977-Tvm) Warner Home Video.  I have 2 copies of this.  One in a Warner clamshell (1986 release) and the other in a small box from the '90s.  Ty Hardin is on-screen for more than a minute, btw.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are 12 made-for-television films I'd like to see sometime and in one case to see again with better sound:

SMUGGLERS, The (1968-Tvm) C-97m. w/Shirley Booth, Carol Lynley, Gayle Hunnicutt.  D:  Norman Lloyd.

DAUGHTER OF THE MIND (1969-Tvm) C-90m. w/Ray Milland, Gene Tierney, Don Murray, Ed Asner

BLACK NOON (1971-Tvm) C-73m. w/Ray Milland, Roy Thinnes, Yvette Mimieux, Gloria Grahame, Lynn Loring

DEVIL AND MISS SARAH, The (1971-Tvm) C-73m. w/Gene Barry, James Drury, Janice Rule, Logan Ramsey 

ISN'T IT SHOCKING? (1973-Tvm) C-73m. w/Alan Alda, Louise Lasser, Edmond O'Brien, Ruth Gordon, W. Geer

KILLER BEES (1974-Tvm) C-74m. w/Gloria Swanson, Edward Albert, Kate Jackson, Craig Stevens

TELETHON (1977-Tvm) C-100m. w/Polly Bergen, Lloyd Bridges, Janet Leigh, Red Buttons

BIG BOB JOHNSON AND HIS FANTASTIC SPEED CIRCUS (1978-Tvm) C-100m.  D: Jack Starrett. 

DEFECTION OF SIMAS KUDIRKA, The (1978-Tvm) C-104m. w/Alan Arkin, Richard Jordan, Donald Pleasence 

THADDEUS ROSE AND EDDIE (1978-Tvm) C-100m. D: Jack Starrett. w/Johnny Cash, Diane Ladd, Bo Hopkins

AMATEUR NIGHT AT THE DIXIE BAR AND GRILL (1979-Tvm) C-100m.  Written & directed by Joel Schumacher

I, DESIRE (1982-Tvm) C-100m. starring David Naughton.  Where did this go?  I saw part of it one time, but I've never found it or seen it on Tv since.  I do recall this was a straightforward thriller as opposed to Naughton's 1981 movie "An American Werewolf In London" with it's tongue-in-cheek attitude. 

I have a copy of "Black Noon" on tape, but the sound quality is so bad it's very hard to hear anything without jacking the sound up to ridiculous levels.  It'd be nice to watch this movie where I could hear it better.

Re:  Post #17.  The Tv movie you're referring to, ChristineHoard, is 1984's "Something About Amelia" with Ted Danson.  The 1981 Tv movie with Danny Kaye was called "Skokie". 

TCM has no reason to limit itself to airing only theatrical movies all 365 days a year.  There's loads of interesting old made-for-television films just itching to be aired again!  ABC, CBS and NBC likely have little use for scores of their '60s, '70s and '80s television movie productions.  Maybe TCM could make a deal to air some of them.  Those tele-films are doing no one any good sitting around collecting dust . . . or worse!  (Vinegar syndrome, anyone?)

I won't list any made-for-Tv films I'd like to see which I know has been made available on homevideo, because I wanna see TVM's I can't find anywhere.  On the +PLUS+ side I've been able round up some 500+ made-for-Tv movies for my humble video collection.  ► I've always been acquisitive . . .  when I could afford it!  :P   And I've got more TVM's to collect before I'm through.  I've cast my jaundiced eye upon the VCL release of "The Killing of Randy Webster" (1981-Tvm). 

Of the made-for-TV films I've seen listed on the thread I've found a few of them for my stash:  

EXECUTION OF PRIVATE SLOVIK, The (1974-Tvm)  MCA/Universal Home Video

NIGHT STALKER, The (1971-Tvm)  Magnetic Home Video (also released on CBS/Fox Video and other labels)

QUESTOR TAPES, The (1974-Tvm) CIC Video (England) a PAL-format VHS release

FIRE! (1977-Tvm) Warner Home Video.  I have 2 copies of this.  One in a Warner clamshell (1986 release) and the other in a small box from the '90s.  Ty Hardin is on-screen for more than a minute, btw.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are 12 made-for-television films I'd like to see sometime and in one case to see again with better sound:

SMUGGLERS, The (1968-Tvm) C-97m. w/Shirley Booth, Carol Lynley, Gayle Hunnicutt.  D:  Norman Lloyd.

DAUGHTER OF THE MIND (1969-Tvm) C-90m. w/Ray Milland, Gene Tierney, Don Murray, Ed Asner

BLACK NOON (1971-Tvm) C-73m. w/Ray Milland, Roy Thinnes, Yvette Mimieux, Gloria Grahame, Lynn Loring

DEVIL AND MISS SARAH, The (1971-Tvm) C-73m. w/Gene Barry, James Drury, Janice Rule, Logan Ramsey 

ISN'T IT SHOCKING? (1973-Tvm) C-73m. w/Alan Alda, Louise Lasser, Edmond O'Brien, Ruth Gordon, W. Geer

KILLER BEES (1974-Tvm) C-74m. w/Gloria Swanson, Edward Albert, Kate Jackson, Craig Stevens

TELETHON (1977-Tvm) C-100m. w/Polly Bergen, Lloyd Bridges, Janet Leigh, Red Buttons

BIG BOB JOHNSON AND HIS FANTASTIC SPEED CIRCUS (1978-Tvm) C-100m.  D: Jack Starrett. 

DEFECTION OF SIMAS KUDIRKA, The (1978-Tvm) C-104m. w/Alan Arkin, Richard Jordan, Donald Pleasence 

THADDEUS ROSE AND EDDIE (1978-Tvm) C-100m. D: Jack Starrett. w/Johnny Cash, Diane Ladd, Bo Hopkins

AMATEUR NIGHT AT THE DIXIE BAR AND GRILL (1979-Tvm) C-100m.  Written & directed by Joel Schumacher

I, DESIRE (1982-Tvm) C-100m. starring David Naughton.  Where did this go?  I saw part of it one time, but I've never found it or seen it on Tv since.  I do recall this was a straightforward thriller as opposed to Naughton's 1981 movie "An American Werewolf In London" with it's tongue-in-cheek attitude. 

I have a copy of "Black Noon" on tape, but the sound quality is so bad it's very hard to hear anything without jacking the sound up to ridiculous levels.  It'd be nice to watch this movie where I could hear it better.

Re:  Post #17.  The Tv movie you're referring to, ChristineHoard, is 1984's "Something About Amelia" with Ted Danson.  The 1981 Tv movie with Danny Kaye was called "Skokie". 

I remember seeing Daughter of the Mind when it was first on in 1969.  As you say, it features Ray Milland, Gene Tierney and Don Murray.

I was sort of into those kind of films when I was that age.  Not sure how it would stand up now.  There is a pretty crummy copy on you tube that I haven't mustered the time to see as yet.

I remember seeing Daughter of the Mind when it was first on in 1969.  As you say, it features Ray Milland, Gene Tierney and Don Murray.

I was sort of into those kind of films when I was that age.  Not sure how it would stand up now.  There is a pretty crummy copy on you tube that I haven't mustered the time to see as yet.

I saw it as well ... creepy, for its time, but probably much less so now.

From 1966, A Christmas Memory with Geraldine Page, originally made for ABC Stage 67.

PBS used to show this every year, but hasn't for a while. 

Christmas would be ideal, but I'd  watch it anytime.

• Like 3

I have a list of TV movies.  Not too many, but this is probably the first I would bring up:

The Last Song (1980) - Lynda Carter

A riveting drama about a singer who discovers the reason why her husband was murdered. She learns of the the plans of her husband's killers to cover up a toxic polution scheme and they are out to silence her...

I remembered seeing this one with the parents and grandparents on TV when it originally aired.  That was a while back.  There is a song which Lynda sings, which sounds to me like a better-known singer from that era.  I was looking under that different singer and therefore couldn't figure out the title.  Until now. 

There is a DVD of this available for cheap, but it is reportedly not up to par picture-quality and sound-quality wise.  Maybe there is a better copy out there which TCM could use, even though this is just a TV movie (but one I remembered after all these years).

• Like 1

Along Came a Spider with Suzanne Pleshette and Ed Nelson. Pleshette thinks Nelson killed her husband and tries to get the goods on him by getting close to him. Good twist ending.

A Cold's Night Death with Robert Culp and Eli Wallach. Something weird is happening at a research station. Watch out for those monkeys.

• Like 3

From the 1980s, an HBO movie, "Glory Glory" - a wonderful satire abou ministry that's rapidly losing money when the charismatic preacher dies; the ministry is left to his son, played by Richard Thomas, who has no gift at all for moving the faithful (especially to send cash). Until one day he sees a rock singer, played by Ellen Greene, who then becomes "Sister Ruth", singing to the faithful and bringing in the cash. Great cast (James Whitmore in particular), wonderful music, extremely funny plot and dialogue and some unexpected emotion. Would love to see this again.

A House Without a Christmas Tree, Jason Robards, Mildred Natwick,  Lisa Lucas

Maybe I'll Come Back in the Spring, Sally Field, David Carradine, Eleanor Parker

Divorce His - Divorce Hers, Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton, Carrie Nye

The Girl Most LIkely To, Stockard Channing

Do Not Fold, Spindle, or Mutilate, Helen Hayes, Myrna Loy, Mildred Natwick

Sunstroke, Jane Seymour

The Mermaid Chair, Kim Basinger

Lace ("Which one of you bitches is my mother?"), Phoebe Cates, Brooke Adams, Arielle Dombasle, Bess Armstrong 

Wild Palms, Nick Mancuso, Angie Dickinson

So many more I've forgotten.  Great thread!  Shouldn't there be a TV station to play such movies, or is there?

• Like 5

Well if we're counting episodes of "Playhouse 90" and other such shows (which I am), there are a bunch of scripts made for TV that later got adapted into Hollywood movies, and I think it would be cool to show those, for example:

REQUIEM OF A HEAVYWEIGHT

JUDGMENT AT NUREMBERG

DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES

MARTY

...and many others. The one I love best is 12 ANGRY MEN. I feel like this is just as good as the film, yet still different. I consider it Bob Cummings' best performance, and it is the only cinematic performance he ever won an award for, so I guess it's not me. It's fun to see how just changing the casting changes the story. Bob Cummings' Juror #8 doesn't seem as much a public crusader as Fonda's, and reading the same lines too. And casting Edward Arnold as The Bigot (Ed Begley) in the film and Franchot Tone as Juror #4 (Lee J Cobb) makes #4's explosions more of a surprise because purely from the casting you expect The Bigot to be the primary antagonist. Definitely worth a watch.

[..]

Edited by TCMModerator1
movie removed due to copyright concerns
  • Like 1

Well if we're counting episodes of "Playhouse 90" and other such shows (which I am), there are a bunch of scripts made for TV that later got adapted into Hollywood movies, and I think it would be cool to show those, for example:

REQUIEM OF A HEAVYWEIGHT

JUDGMENT AT NUREMBERG

DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES

MARTY

...and many others. The one I love best is 12 ANGRY MEN. I feel like this is just as good as the film, yet still different. I consider it Bob Cummings' best performance, and it is the only cinematic performance he ever won an award for, so I guess it's not me. It's fun to see how just changing the casting changes the story. Bob Cummings' Juror #8 doesn't seem as much a public crusader as Fonda's, and reading the same lines too. And casting Edward Arnold as The Bigot (Ed Begley) in the film and Franchot Tone as Juror #4 (Lee J Cobb) makes #4's explosions more of a surprise because purely from the casting you expect The Bigot to be the primary antagonist. Definitely worth a watch.

Could you post this and others on this topic here?

http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/53246-playhouse-90-update/

Live TV plays and TV movies are really two different subjects, and besides it would be nice if that thread got some contributions and traffic.

Re TAM: I actually prefer both Cummings and Walter Abel (as Juror #4) to Fonda and Marshall in the movie. Unfortunately Tone overacts a bit as #3.

Back in the 80's I saw A Woman of Substance. I believe it was a mini-series and Deborah Kerr had a small role. I cannot remember any other actors from it and what I can recall it was pretty good.

Does anyone know if Sybil was a made for tv movie? I believe it was long.

Jenny Seagrove played the main character as a young woman while Kerr played her as the older version. I just looked at the cast list on IMDB and while there were some recognizable names. Barry Bostwick played the love interest and I noticed John Mills and Barry Morse appeared. Even Christopher Gable was in it. I remember watching back then and that I liked it.

I go on a lot of cruises mainly Royal Caribbean and they have various TCM channels on their in cabin television. Last year I was on one that showed TCM Latin America and it showed a lot of old tv shows and very few classic movies. One of the things that was on during this cruise was the mini series Scruples starring Lindsey Wagner. Ooh, that was really bad!

• Like 2

Jenny Seagrove played the main character as a young woman while Kerr played her as the older version. I just looked at the cast list on IMDB and while there were some recognizable names. Barry Bostwick played the love interest and I noticed John Mills and Barry Morse appeared. Even Christopher Gable was in it. I remember watching back then and that I liked it.

I go on a lot of cruises mainly Royal Caribbean and they have various TCM channels on their in cabin television. Last year I was on one that showed TCM Latin America and it showed a lot of old tv shows and very few classic movies. One of the things that was on during this cruise was the mini series Scruples starring Lindsey Wagner. Ooh, that was really bad!

Thank you HelenBaby. I don't think I've seen Scruples or it was just not very memorable. I have the book although I haven't read that either.

A House Without a Christmas Tree, Jason Robards, Mildred Natwick, Lisa Lucas

Maybe I'll Come Back in the Spring, Sally Field, David Carradine, Eleanor Parker

Divorce His - Divorce Hers, Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton, Carrie Nye

The Girl Most LIkely To, Stockard Channing

Do Not Fold, Spindle, or Mutilate, Helen Hayes, Myrna Loy, Mildred Natwick

Sunstroke, Jane Seymour

The Mermaid Chair, Kim Basinger

Lace ("Which one of you bitches is my mother?"), Phoebe Cates, Brooke Adams, Arielle Dombasle, Bess Armstrong

Wild Palms, Nick Mancuso, Angie Dickinson

So many more I've forgotten. Great thread! Shouldn't there be a TV station to play such movies, or is there?

I remember Lace. I actually liked it and it was fun trying to guess who her mother was.

I wish Sally Field would have chosen Maybe I'll Come Back In The Spring for one of her picks.

You mentioned many I forgot and would like to see again and for the first time.

• Like 2

It's probably not a good idea to have TCM show television movies, since there's a good reason they appeared on television and not on cinema.  However, I am curious about the 1980 movie The Mystery of Eva Ryker which I saw the first half hour or so, but never saw the rest of.

TCM is TV after all.  But hey, the title of the thread included the words 'once in a while.'  I'm sure they could make space for two hours a month for something like this.  But hey, this is only a thread not a programmers meeting.

There have been a few movies made for television that ended up being shown theatrically in other markets too.

Scenes From a Marriage, made for Swedish television by Ingmar Bergman was released in cinemas in North America.  Some great performances in that too.  Bib Andersson for one.

And it is released on Criterion which TCM seems to have some sort of deal with.

• Like 1

There were 2 which seemed as tho they were gonna b pilots for a series in which Elizabeth Montgomery plaed Edna Buchanan - a reporter in miami. True stories (more or less) with gr8 casts. I believe she became right after..they were both gr8 & I was hoping for more. And wud definitely enjoy seeing her & the movies again.

I've seen this one three times but wouldn't mind copying it if it ever comes up without commercials.

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1968) with Jack Palance and Denholm Elliott.  Directed by Charles Jarrott.

At that time I thought Palance made the best Jekyll and Hyde that I had seen.  My cousin and I sometimes were inspired to imitate his transformation in this film.  We loved everything about horror movies.