Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TV Movies You'd Like to see on TCM ... once in a while

Bogie56

How about the 1967 Tv movie "HOW I SPENT MY SUMMER VACATION" (Color/100m.)? 

Starring Robert Wagner, Lola Albright, Peter Lawford, Walter Pidgeon and Jill St. John. 

Saw this as a wee laddie in the '70s -- ain't seen hide nor hair of it since (I can say that about quite a few Universals of this period)

Great Expectations (1974) with Michael York as Pip, James Mason as Magwitch, Sarah Miles as Estella and Margaret Leighton as Miss Havisham. 

This was actually shot as a musical, but had all the songs deleted.

I can think of two other films like this:

The Elusive Pimpernel with David Niven

That James L. Brooks movie with Nick Nolte -- Everyone Says I Love You? Or something like that...

This was actually shot as a musical, but had all the songs deleted.

I can think of two other films like this:

The Elusive Pimpernel with David Niven

That James L. Brooks movie with Nick Nolte -- Everyone Says I Love You? Or something like that...

I didn't know that about Great Expectations.

The Brooks fiasco was I'll Do Anything.

Everyone Says was Woody.

A few made for TV movies/Mini Series I would like to see on TCM.

The Girl Most Likely to... (1973) with Stockard Channing and Ed Asner.

Same Time, Next Year (1978) with Ellen Burstyn Alan Alda.

Chiefs (1983) with Charlton Heston, based on the book by Stuart Woods.

Sybil (1976) with Sally Field and Joanne Woodward.

The Naked Civil Servant (1975) with John Hurt. And the sequel An Englishman In New York (2009).

Best wishes

Metairie Road

I'm pretty sure Same Time, Next Year has been on TCM more than once.

This one was quite good as I recall ... Reflections of Murder (1974) with Joan Hackett, Tuesday Weld and Sam Waterston.  It's a remake of Cluzot's Les Diaboliques (1955).

Joan Hackett, a quite underrated actress was very good in this Relections.  Some may recall her from The Last of Sheila and Will Penny.

Tribes (1970) starring Jan-Michael Vincent, Darren McGavin, and Earl Holliman. Perfect timing for the hippie joins the Marines, troubles ensue, plot. Very popular at the time, likely because of that perfect timing. I think I saw this when it first aired, but haven't seen it since.

Really fun one, that. I love the scene where Vincent goes into a Zen trip while holding up pails of cement and McGavin gives him hell.

Boy, that Vincent was ripped. Too bad about turning into such a drunk.

Knucklehead, your mention of Frank Finlay reminds me of another TV movie I'd like to see on TCM -

Eroica (BBC 2003)

The one where Beethoven was an arrogant a$$hole and the music was glorious.

Finlay was Joseph Haydn.

Best wishes
Metairie Road

• Like 1

A Mother's Courage: The Mary Thomas Story (1989)

Played by Alfre Woodard, mother of 10, one of whom is Isiah Thomas, NBA star. She is wonderful in this, trying to keep her children on the straight path within a tough neighborhood.. There is a particular emphasis on Isiah who is famous and undergoes a certain angst in his struggle for freedom from the perils that surround him and who succeeds in his rise to stardom.

Knucklehead, your mention of Frank Finlay reminds me of another TV movie I'd like to see on TCM -

Eroica (BBC 2003)

The one where Beethoven was an arrogant a$$hole and the music was glorious.

Finlay was Joseph Haydn.

Best wishes

Metairie Road

I love this movie. I wrote a long post on this several years ago. An interesting factoid: More than half the movie is devoted to the complete performance of the Third Symphony of Beethoven (the Eroica), which lasts about 45 minutes. But wait, it doesn't mean it's boring, honest. During the music we see happenings in the story, highlights and perhaps lowlights in the life of Ludwig. It doesn't come across like documentary, rather it's a uniquely done movie. Tim Piggot-Smith plays a stuffy old aristocrat who espouses more traditional stuff (like the Great Haydn) and tries to uphold his prejudices throughout the playing of the music, but fails miserably when he is stopped cold during a particularly arresting passage from the second movement and is seen responding favorably despite his obvious prejudices to the contrary. The acting he does with his face during this passage is extraordinary. 

• Like 1

I thought this was a very good Viet Nam movie - A Rumor of War (1980) by Richard T. Heffron.   Starring Brad Davis, Michael O'Keefe, Keith Carradine, Brian Dennehy, Perry King, Christopher Mitchum, Steve Forrest, Stacey Keach and Jeff Daniels.

Personally, I don't buy into the theory that today's mainstream media is controlled by liberals.  Politically controversial films that America was once so good at seem to have disappeared.

But I guess we should steer clear of discussing this one!

• Like 1

Even if TCM should air 'ANGELS IN AMERICA' some time it ought not to be advertised as a 'Tv Movie'.  It's a made-for-HBO cable mini-series and is not the same thing as a TVM. 

If Turner Classic opted to air an AIDS-themed Tv movie like 'An Early Frost' from '85 I'd give it a watch; I've never seen it. 

Personally, I don't buy into the theory that today's mainstream media is controlled by liberals. 

Reminds me of the stupid opinion I read somewhere around here that "Liberal messaging" is the same thing as how Conservative morality-mongers ruled the movie industry for 30 years.

As if we're supposed to believe that the cops will seize property, close theatres, jail people, for showing something too Conservative nowadays.

There's no comparison about the amount of control that was forced upon society back then to the freedom to be as truthful with one's art as one wishes to be from 1970 to the present.

• Like 1

Personally, I don't buy into the theory that today's mainstream media is controlled by liberals.  Politically controversial films that America was once so good at seem to have disappeared.

It's a myth that for some reason seems to be continually touted as truth by some people.

The only thing controlling today's mainstream media is the bottom line.

• Like 4