Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TV Movies You'd Like to see on TCM ... once in a while

Delbert Mann's remake of All Quiet on the Western Front (1979) was very good.  And it had a fine cast with Richard Thomas, Patricia Neal, Ernest Borgnine and Donald Pleasence.

• Like 2

It's a myth that for some reason seems to be continually touted as truth by some people.

The only thing controlling today's mainstream media is the bottom line.

True journalism is in a lot of trouble now.

Cable "news" has become the "mainstream media" and it's thoroughly, totally owned by the corporate state. I'd prefer (strange to say) that its incompetence was a product of our declining education, but it's even more dire - more nefarious - than that. Systemic corruption has become nearly all-encompassing in this increasingly fascist empire.

Delbert Mann's remake of All Quiet on the Western Front (1979) was very good.  And it had a fine cast with Richard Thomas, Patricia Neal, Ernest Borgnine and Donald Pleasence.

I never saw this film, but it sounds interesting, and reunited Patricia Neal and Richard Thomas, who had costarred in the tv movie, THE HOMECOMING (?), which became the pilot for The Waltons.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Has anyone seen The Patricia Neal Story (1981) directed by Anthony Harvey?  Glenda Jackson and Dirk Bogarde were both nominated for Golden Globes and Mildred Dunnock plays herself!

The film deals with Patricia Neal's recovery from a stroke with the aid of her husband, Roald Dahl.

Not a film but an excellent miniseries I, Claudius (1976)

I wish TCM would show alotta mini-series' like Masada, Blind Ambition and and Washington: Behind Closed Doors BUT ...

that would no doubt be asking for too much.

might as well ask them for the expanded UK cut of William Cameron Menzies' Invaders From Mars. :D

• Like 1

Has anyone seen The Patricia Neal Story (1981) directed by Anthony Harvey?  Glenda Jackson and Dirk Bogarde were both nominated for Golden Globes and Mildred Dunnock plays herself!

The film deals with Patricia Neal's recovery from a stroke with the aid of her husband, Roald Dahl.

Here's a clip I found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17uBwshzHoY

• Like 1

JACKSON COUNTY JAIL (1976) was a theatrical film starring Yvette Mimieux and Tommy Lee Jones.  The director of "Jackson County Jail" --- Michael Miller -- made a 1978 Tv movie called 'OUTSIDE CHANCE' which also starred Yvette.  Apparently the first half of "Outside Chance" is very similar to JCJ and then takes off in a different direction.     

Another 1976 prison-oriented Tv movie was 'NIGHTMARE IN BADHAM COUNTY' which starred Deborah Raffin, Lynne Moody, Chuck Connors and Robert Reed.  However, there was also a version prepared for overseas theatrical release that was full of dirty stuff!  That version of the film was released in the late 1980s on VIDMARK Entertainment and the video box bragged 'Full Un-cut Version'.  I used to have the VIDMARK release until I foolishly stored the tape in a damp place and it turned mouldy.  Very stupid of me. 

I wish TCM would show alotta mini-series' like Masada, Blind Ambition and and Washington: Behind Closed Doors BUT ...

that would no doubt be asking for too much.

might as well ask them for the expanded UK cut of William Cameron Menzies' Invaders From Mars. :D

I'll take ANY cut of INVADERS FROM MARS!

might as well ask them for the expanded UK cut of William Cameron Menzies' Invaders From Mars.

I don't know why you keep bringing up that stupid thing. That's a clearly inferior version.

The "extended" observatory scene is just lame. It was rightfully cut down to make the movie better.

And the British demand that the "precognitive dream" be changed, while Menzie's brought everyone back in to shoot an alternate scene so they'd shut up, is most certainly not an improvement. Corny, cheesy, boring - much less cool than the original twilight-zone-y version we all know over here.

The British version is an alteration on a classic that makes for a worse movie and I see no reason for TCM or anybody else over here to show it. Only a lunkhead would even ask for it, let alone make a repetitively-stated issue out of it.

I've yet to hear a single person say the British version is better than the American version. The American version is said to be better every time. Until you came along, anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know why you keep bringing up that stupid thing. That's a clearly inferior version.

The "extended" observatory scene is just lame. It was rightfully cut down to make the movie better.

And the British demand that the "precognitive dream" be changed, while Menzie's brought everyone back in to shoot an alternate scene so they'd shut up, is most certainly not an improvement. Corny, cheesy, boring - much less cool than the original twilight-zone-y version we all know over here.

The British version is an alteration on a classic that makes for a worse movie and I see no reason for TCM or anybody else over here to show it. Only a lunkhead would even ask for it, let alone make a repetitively-stated issue out of it.

I've yet to hear a single person say the British version is better than the American version. The American version is said to be better every time. Until you came along, anyway.

I've never seen either version of INVADER FROM MARS.