Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

NEWS: TCM & Fathom Presents

Barton_Keyes

TCM has announced today through their social media platforms the expansion of their partnership with Fathom Events to bring classic films to the big screen.

To that end, TCM has provided a list of all upcoming collaborations with Fathom Events for the rest of the calendar year.

This includes the already announced screening of DOUBLE INDEMNITY (1944) on July 19 & 20. Also in the months ahead, TCM will be bringing the following films to the big screen: GREASE (SING-A-LONG) (1978) on August 16 & 19, PSYCHO (1960) on September 20 & 23, DRACULA (1931; a double feature of both the English and Spanish versions) on October 25 & 28, ROMAN HOLIDAY (1953) on November 29 & December 1 and lastly MIRACLE ON 34th STREET (1947) on December 20 & 23.

It's great to see TCM doing more of this. It affirms my belief that TCM is providing a public service by introducing film history to audiences across North America. And as fun as it is to see these old films on your television at home, your experience of a film will almost always be enhanced by watching classic films on the big screen in a room full of people -- as they were meant to be seen.

For further information on this series and a list of participating theaters, visit www.tcm.com/fathom.

• Like 1

I am bored to tears with TCM events. I couldn't BELIEVE they are held in crappy megaplexes instead of great vintage theaters (who are struggling to stay in the black) And $15 a ticket? For a digital streamed movie? Not me, man.

Instead, I elected to see DOUBLE INDEMNITY screened in 35mm in the classic Capitol Theater. $5 a ticket-brought the entire family & friends to that one. Also saw DRACULA & PSYCHO in 35mm in vintage theaters too.

A GREASE sing-a-long would make me want to slit my throat. Obviously, these "events" are thought up by those out of touch with what real classic movie fans really want.

• Like 2

I am bored to tears with TCM events. I couldn't BELIEVE they are held in crappy megaplexes instead of great vintage theaters (who are struggling to stay in the black) And $15 a ticket? For a digital streamed movie? Not me, man.

Instead, I elected to see DOUBLE INDEMNITY screened in 35mm in the classic Capitol Theater. $5 a ticket-brought the entire family & friends to that one. Also saw DRACULA & PSYCHO in 35mm in vintage theaters too.

A GREASE sing-a-long would make me want to slit my throat. Obviously, these "events" are thought up by those out of touch with what real classic movie fans really want.

I'm too busy to check right now, but I wonder if those titles are available on Blu Ray right now.  If so, then many of the original digital theaters and smaller digital theaters in the megaplexes, which are "Cinema 2k" screens, would be a natural fit just to play a standard Blu-Ray.  If they were doing it on one of the larger "4K" screens, then it would be more comparable to the new "UHD" TV standard which is still yet to come and possibly just upscaled "2k".  Either would be slightly less wide though, as it would be an "HD" format being projected onto a  "Cinema 2K" or "Cinema 4K" screen).

Having said all that, it is really all about watching a movie with a bunch of other like-minded people for me, and not just sitting in my basement.  I would go to one of those events if it were near me.

There are still vintage theaters extant?

Tiki, I hope you ever never have a lapse of judgement and somehow allow yourself to witness or take part in GREASE sing-a-long. Pray avoid such daring as it would seriously endanger your continued delightful presence on the board. I remember GREASE ... vaguely ... but enough to get what you mean. I think I'll stay away too. ;-)

==

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings