Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tough Talk: 14 Unforgettable Film Noir Lines

I thought this was a fun article:

http://www.bestmoviesbyfarr.com/articles/film-noir-quotes/2015/02?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Film+Noir

One of the many lures of the film noir genre is its taut, no nonsense dialogue. There’s no room here for flowery speech, not when the bullets and fists are flying. Terse yet evocative, dialogue from film noir also rings with the pistol crack of truth. And in noir films it's the rapid-fire back and forth between characters, usually dames and their dupes, that shows the form off in all its gritty glory.

It helps, of course, that the dialogue was often scripted by hardboiled masters like Raymond Chandler, and spoken by tough guys like Bogart and Mitchum. In a world of brass knuckles, characters need to get down to brass tacks. Their lives may depend on it, and besides, dames like it. And delivering this patter is an art, not unlike reciting Shakespeare, or hitting a bullseye. For fans of movie mysteries, it’s a pleasure that never pales.

One of my favorites is from I Walk Alone:  [stuffy woman]: "My name is Mrs. Alix Richardson." [burt Lancaster]: "You say that like it was spelt in capital letters." Zing!   :D

• Like 3

I thought this was a fun article:

http://www.bestmoviesbyfarr.com/articles/film-noir-quotes/2015/02?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Film+Noir

One of my favorites is from I Walk Alone:  [stuffy woman]: "My name is Mrs. Alix Richardson." [burt Lancaster]: "You say that like it was spelt in capital letters." Zing!   :D

Lots of great ones.  One of my favorite is the last lines of Maltese Falcon.

Detective Tom Polhaus: [picks up the falcon] Heavy. What is it?

Sam Spade: The, uh, stuff that dreams are made of.

• Like 1

Murder My Sweet contains so many great lines:

"A black pool opened up at my feet. I dived in. It had no bottom. I felt good--like an amputated leg."

"The window was open, but the smoke didn't move. It was a web woven by a thousand spiders. I wondered how they'd gotten them to work together..."

"I walked. For how long I don't know; I didn't have a watch. They don't put that kind of time in watches anyway...."

• Like 2

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings