Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

which Pre Code is the most sexy

MovieMadness

What is the most sexy pre-code movie? Pre code is defined as before babies were delivered by stork again, lol.

Check out Ricardo Cortez in the 1931 version of The Maltese Falcon.

Be sure you have smoke detectors in the room when you watch.

Yeah, it's that hot. :o Makes Bogey and Astor's version look like an ad for Will tiny little man Hays.

• Like 2

My three top pre codes of all time are Red Headed Woman with Jean Harlow, Baby Face with

Barbara Stanwyck and Call Her Savage with Clara Bow.

Good choices, though using another definition of "sexy", I doubt if any character could top Loretta Young's Trina in Man's Castle.  Not only is she Hollywood's all-time glamor girl for sheer physical perfection, but in this movie she's got a sweetness about her that at least IMO is far sexier than if she'd been playing a vamp.  That doesn't mean that Man's Castle itself is anywhere near on the level of those three you mention, all of which are top 10 (or maybe even top 5) pre-codes, but Young's sex appeal rises way above the rather pedestrian plot.

mans-castle.jpg

Good choices, though using another definition of "sexy", I doubt if any character could top Loretta Young's Trina in Man's Castle.  Not only is she Hollywood's all-time glamor girl for sheer physical perfection, but in this movie she's got a sweetness about her that at least IMO is far sexier than if she'd been playing a vamp.  That doesn't mean that Man's Castle itself is anywhere near on the level of those three you mention, all of which are top 10 (or maybe even top 5) pre-codes, but Young's sex appeal rises way above the rather pedestrian plot.

mans-castle.jpg

I really despise what a doormat Young is in this movie. In fact, once was enough for me. Tracy is so mean that it borders on abusive.

• Like 2

I really despise what a doormat Young is in this movie. In fact, once was enough for me. Tracy is so mean that it borders on abusive.

That's pretty much what Tracy's like in many of his earlier movies.  It's hard to imagine a bigger blowhard.  Great actor, but often insufferable, and not even in a particularly interesting way.

But Young transcends all that, and I guarantee if I'd been around in 1933 and met up with a dream like her, I would've treated her a WHOLE lot better. B)

• Like 1

Oh boy, too difficult. The first movie that comes to mind is Safe in Hell. There's some sleaze at the beginning which is of course a sexy of a sort. Not sweet sexy. Later the heroine is smuggled to this island and I would use the word decadent to describe the way they looked at her. Really nasty. I think this is more a sense of the erotic than merely sexy, to me anyway. There's something that can be nice about merely sexy, erotica and decadence probe a deeper territory, not sure what the OP means, probably the sexy-nice angle. Or perhaps there's more latitude. Whatever it is, good idea for a thread.

• Like 1

Red Dust--Jean Harlow is just so free and lusty in this one (which is kind of ironic, becasue her husband Paul Bern commited suicide halfway through the filming)

BabyFace--"That St Louis woman, with her diamond rings..." Whenever you hear St Louis Blues, you know Lily is working her mojo...as the camera pans up the outside of the building

A Free Soul--Norma Shearer is absolutely in heat over Gable's gangster

Trouble in Paradise--I love the scene where Miriam Hopkins and Herbert Marshall play pickpocket games with one another and realize they are soulmates

And in a twisted kinky way, The Scarlett Empress, especially the Inspection of the Troops  scene

scarlett_zps5ff2f699.png

• Like 1

Loved the way Jane looked w the clothes brought 2 her from England & w/o! Gotta agree she was pre-code sexy. And Jean Harlow shud Never b overlooked!

Safe in hell did cross my mind @ 1st. But agree that it was more decanant than sexy.

Another 1 that shud b on the list is Claudette Colbert in Sign of the CrOSS & Cleopatra.

• Like 1

sugarpussoshea--You're absolutely right about Sign of the Cross (1932).  Everyone(!) shows a lot of skin in this movie--even Fredric March (when he was still good looking).  Look for Elyssa Landi as the  Christian martyr bound up in vines or strategically placed chains  suffering through a "dance of seduction" by a "pagan" woman wearing less (some prints have edited out the dance--beware of 70 minute or less running times).

And of course, Claudette Colberts' milk bath in Cleopatra (1934) is not to be missed (just remember, Ancient Egypt sounds like a 1930's street corner).

Welcome, sugarpussoshea.

That's pretty much what Tracy's like in many of his earlier movies.  It's hard to imagine a bigger blowhard.  Great actor, but often insufferable, and not even in a particularly interesting way.

But Young transcends all that, and I guarantee if I'd been around in 1933 and met up with a dream like her, I would've treated her a WHOLE lot better. B)

Pat O'Brien. Could have been brothers. Only Pat couldn't act.

I also vote for TARZAN & HIS MATE as stated earlier. The title and the idea of hot jungle sex is titillating- a sweet civilized white gal with a savage animal of a guy? And the swim scene helps too. Very sexay.

• Like 1

Red Dust--Jean Harlow is just so free and lusty in this one (which is kind of ironic, becasue her husband Paul Bern commited suicide halfway through the filming)

BabyFace--"That St Louis woman, with her diamond rings..." Whenever you hear St Louis Blues, you know Lily is working her mojo...as the camera pans up the outside of the building

A Free Soul--Norma Shearer is absolutely in heat over Gable's gangster

Trouble in Paradise--I love the scene where Miriam Hopkins and Herbert Marshall play pickpocket games with one another and realize they are soulmates

And in a twisted kinky way, The Scarlett Empress, especially the Inspection of the Troops  scene

scarlett_zps5ff2f699.png

The sexiest very well-known pre-code is BABY FACE.

For sheer perversity in a pre-code, Kongo gets my vote. Who knew dear old Walter Huston could 

be such a sadistic pig?? Like a train wreck, you can't take your eyes off of it.

Lydecker

If you want to see Huston playing two of the most loathsome pre-code characters of all time, try his pious preacher in Rain, and even more so (if that's possible), in his role as an uber-corrupt judge in Night Court.   He isn't exactly "dear old Walter Huston" in either of those. ;)

• Like 2

If you want to see Huston playing two of the most loathsome pre-code characters of all time, try his pious preacher in Rain, and even more so (if that's possible), in his role as an uber-corrupt judge in Night Court.   He isn't exactly "dear old Walter Huston" in either of those. ;)

Thanks for the tips.  I've seen Night Court  --  Way to go Walter  --   Frame the poor woman and throw her kid in the orphan asylum -- but haven't yet seen Rain.  I believe I was put off by Joan Crawford saying she hated the film (in which she stars!) but if Walter goes rogue in this one, I'll have to check it out.

Lydecker

And what about that ending?  

SPOILER ALERT.

Deserting dear old Beulah Bondi for one night of pleasure with Joan.  Ha!  She knew how to push his buttons, didn't she?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings