Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
LornaHansonForbes

Dracula Dies: Christopher Lee has Passed Away

You HAVE seen the one and only Bela Lugosi in the role, have you not? <_<

Lugosi as Dracula has always been grossly overrated. Lugosi as Dracula had great international impact and I think film critics have confused the historic relevance of Lugosi as Dracula with his persona as Dracula which at best is mediocre.

Lee projects. what the hell does Lugosi project? an Hungarian accent? :lol:

I like Bela Lugosi but he was not all that effective as Dracula.

But mostly Roger Moore.

#TeamZoron

LOL. Yeah, my least favorite of the Bonds. I even liked George Lazenby better....

Lugosi as Dracula has always been grossly overrated. Lugosi as Dracula had great international impact and I think film critics have confused the historic relevance of Lugosi as Dracula with his persona as Dracula which at best is mediocre.

Lee projects. what the hell does Lugosi project? an Hungarian accent? :lol:

I like Bela Lugosi but he was not all that effective as Dracula.

Ummmm, yeah okay. Enjoy.

• Like 1

Ooooooooh BURN!

LOL. What does that mean?

Sorry to hear that. Him and Peter Cushing are together again. They were best friends,and Lee talked about how a big piece of him was gone,when Cushing passed away. I'm glad to see TCM airing Hammer horror in respect...my best regards Mr. Christopher Lee. ????

LOL. What does that mean?

Ranking Moore below Lazenby was a burn, defined as somewhere between shade (which must be read between the lines) and an open insult...closer to an insult, but with the notable difference that a "burn" usually carries some truth with it.

Ranking Moore below Lazenby was a burn, defined as somewhere between shade (which must be read between the lines) and an open insult...closer to an insult, but with the notable difference that a "burn" usually carries some truth with it.

Thanks for the clarification. I'm not up on current lingo (say from beyond the 70s. LOL)....

He was wonderful in The Wicker Man, an underrated gem from the '70s.

Wasnt Cissy Spacek in that? Another movie I've always wanted to see. Wish TCM would show it........

Thanks for the clarification. I'm not up on current lingo (say from beyond the 70s. LOL)....

No worries. Take it easy, don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy.

No worries. Take it easy, don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy.

LOL!!!

Wasnt Cissy Spacek in that? Another movie I've always wanted to see. Wish TCM would show it........

Posted 04 December 2009 - 01:28 AM

Anyone else excited about the TCM premiere of *The Wicker Man* ('73) on late Dec. 4th

Been wanting to see this _original_ version, with Edward Woodward, Christopher Lee & Diane Cilento, since I heard about it years ago. It's got quite a backstory to it, too.

article here: http://www.tcm.com/u...ies/?cid=256067

-would LOVE seeing again on UNDERGROUND instead of some of the **** they've been showing lately :(

Damn, I missed it! :(

Probably hasnt been on since.

sad news about Christopher Lee for me.

Lee always gave good performances and raised a middling film up a notch into "good" territory. when he was in a Grade A movie like LotR or the Musketeer movies he matched his peers and made the fliks that much more enjoyable.

sometimes, like The Wicker Man (1973), he gave a powerful and indelible performance.

too bad The Wicker Man isn't being included in the tribute. maybe a little later. glad to see The Three Musketeers (1973) and The Four Musketeers (1975) are being shown back-to-back. it's a fitting conclusion for the Lee Tribute.

• Like 2

sad news about Christopher Lee for me.

Lee always gave good performances and raised a middling film up a notch into "good" territory. when he was in a Grade A movie like LotR or the Musketeer movies he matched his peers and made the flicks that much more enjoyable..

Yes, although he could have gotten pretty far on presence alone (some actors just HAVE it and Lee HAD it.)

I think it is a testamant to both his undeniable presence and his acting abilities that one of his most fondly remembered performances is in DRACULA: PRINCE OF DARKNESS wherein he utters not one word of dialogue- but he stays in your mind completely- and it draws parallel with great silent performers.

• Like 2

I really thought Christopher Lee would be living till a 100 years old.One of my favorite actors in the horror genre,i was happy for him when he decided to more or less  abandon horror to do other roles.He was fluent in many llanguages,one of my great deceptions as a teenager was the following: he was booked for ani nterview in Montreal on a french talk show around 1974.This was extremely unusual,at the time i did not know he spoke French,unfortunately he had a cardiac ailment and his appearance was cancelled never to return.Here is an anecdote about him with this great wit Billy Wilder:

He became the first actor to play both Sherlock Holmes and, for the director Billy Wilder in 1970, Sherlock’s brother Mycroft. While shooting by Loch Ness in Scotland, Wilder remarked to him, as they walked in the twilight by the spooky stretch of dark water with bats wheeling about: “You must feel quite atHOMEarrow-10x10.png here.”

Oh man, and just when there was a little reprieve in terms of losing people. I really admired the way that he just kept on working right up until the end, and what a down-to-earth person he was in real life. I can't recall anyone saying bad that has about him. He never really scared me though; I thought he was rather good-looking, and I wondered how he would have fared if he weren't so closely associated with horror films. He definitely had the chops and sensitivity to pull off different roles. I'm going to miss him.

I found his performance as Rasputin to be one of the better ones, and vastly underrated.

• Like 1

you could take the whole Lugosi v. Lee thing to a Kirk v. Picardian level, I think it's wise to just realize that they both had their own strengths.

If I must chose, my heart will always be Bela's, but if we're going on what I think the classic definition of a vampire is, and how Stoker presented the character of Dracula in the novel, then Lee is the more authentic.

His is- in I think all of filmdom- the best example of the figure of Dracula as he was created and intended: NOT A ROMANTIC FIGURE, but PURE EVIL, and in many cases, rather terrifiying- with a fast physicality and an animal-like presence. It really BUGS me how many more "recent" interpretations of Dracula (and vampires in general) have upped the "romantic" aspect, the Langella version and the gawdawful Coppola version some immediately to mind: this is a huge mistake. There is no inner pain, no angst, no slo-motion love scenes with lasers and whirling lights, no chance of redemption: Dracula. Is. EEEEville.

it reminds me of the famous line of Ozzy Osborne when they put a bubble machine on stage during one of his performances: "Bubbles? I don't do bubbles! I'm the Prince of f_ing Darkness!"

• Like 1

Sorry to hear of his passing, loved his last role in Star Wars as Count Dooku. RIP.

CountDooku.jpg

By the way the thread title I like, Dracula has died more times than Kenny.kenny.gif

By the way the thread title I like, Dracula has died more times than Kenny.kenny.gif

OMG!

Where did you get a Kenny emoticon?

(you *******!)

Edited by TCMModerator1
evading word filter

My favorite Christopher Lee role, although he wasn't the star, is Professor Alan Driscoll in Horror Hotel, aka City of the Dead, 1963.

794.jpg

OMG!

Where did you get a Kenny emoticon?

(you *******!)

:lol:

Just Google Kenny emoticons and go to images.

Edited by TCMModerator1
quote edited for evading word filter