Hope Larry is ok in Texas, with RITA !

As everyone knows Larry is in Austin, Texas right now

filming the Pola Negri Documentary Larry we hope you

are safe out of Hurricane Rita's Path & send are much

needed prayers to you and others affected by this next

Hurricane. Get out safely Larry please! I know with

certainty Larry's gonna have some antidotes with some

****######!!!! to tell us about his travels & experiences

stay safe everyone in affected areas...lolite.

Hello Everybody,

How very kind of you to worry about me. I am fine and really loving the weather here in Austin. It is sunny and around 98F (30C).... We have finished filming and have been told we may have to evacuate, but "Rita" isn't due to hit Austin until Saturday.

However, we will not be going to San Antonio tomorrow (pity) and the Poles are leaving for New York City tomorrow and I may do the same, only I will be going west (LA).......

Our filming went very well and I am quite pleased with the results. I was interviewed in the Maximilian Room of the Driskill Hotel here - I am staying in the Brazos Suite at the Driskill. There's about 20 minutes of film on me and some Pola Negri items I own and brought with me. It took 5 hours yesterday and 4 today to get this footage. Tedious, to say the least; don't ever become movie stars, it's no fun!!!!

The film is finished and we just now saw it, except for my portion which will be added (mostly voice over and very little video of me) -- let's face it, 20 minutes of my mug in a 2 hour movie about Pola Negri just wouldn't go over!!!!!!!!

The film has already been registered to show at Sundance in January and then at Cannes in May and it is absolutely beautiful.

It starts and finishes with animation of Pola receiving Ernst Lubitsch, who gives her a script and then films her emoting;

Adolph Zukor, who gives her a pen and a contract to sign;

Charlie Chaplin, who kisses her hand and she kisses his cheek as he blushes;

Gloria Swanson, who is introduced to Pola and then sticks her nose in the air and takes a train labelled NYC;

some cats which she takes to the Paramount front gate and puts out in the rain (humourous!);

Rudolph Valentino throwing her into a swimming pool and then her pulling him in. A big splash ends the animation at the beginning.

There are some magnificant shots of her when she was young in the Polish and German cinema and all restored. She was gorgeous; still pictures of her do not do her justice.

The film ends with her singing "Paradise" from the movie "A Woman Commands" and it is lovely and very well presented. And, then there's some more humourous animation at the end with the cheetah from "The Moonspinners" growling in a Pola Negri accent, "That's the story of a "Wild Cat" (she was known as 'The Wild Cat' in the silent movies) and then ripping the screen with it's claws......

You can certainly see why she was a STAR; she moves fluidly across the screen and is expressive and sly and coquettish and bitchy. She is a vamp and femme fatale and also a shy, backwards maid and a frightened victim. In one close-up, she murders a child and it is filmed in the reflection of her eyes. Frightening.. She played everything and was a very good actress.

Very inovative and well done. I loved it all!!!!!!

It will be interesting to see how this movie does. If it is presented properly and maybe wins "The Palme d'Or" at Cannes (Well, we can only hope and wish!) then I will be happy and I hope you can all get to see it.

In the meantime, I am OK and will probably leave here tomorrow afternoon. But, I do want to see the Texas Legislature Building here before I go. The Dome is magnificent!!

Larry

To vecchiolarry-(NOTE: I've been checking out some of your terrific posts' & all. & by no-means, pal are "YOU OLD!" I recall-(plus know some Italian & Spanish)-(Ironically, I am a "MICK" & only know the *Jack Ford school of IRISH?-(by way of New Jersey???) Though I reckon' I should pick-up a book on "Gallic"-(for those that have seen the awesomely powerful: *"Million Dollar Baby" (2004) *Eastwood's character was studying on a little book of that language & it is part of it's final storyline as well)

I wanted to know EXACTLY WHEN & WHERE THIS WILL POSSIBLY AIR THOUGH?-(P.S. of late, I have been writing on other sites & missed a bit. So plase let me know)

I'm just now noticing the date of this & sad to say, "Broken Flowers" (***-out of 4) Bill Murray, underplaying, even more than his sole OSCAR shot td in 03's "Lost in Translation," did win a few. & a bizarre sounding flick, that already OSCARE'd *Tomy Lee Jones-(1946-) not just wrote, but helmed & stars in: -(dig this title)>"The Three Burials of Melquaides Estrada" Swept Cannes as u by now are aware.-(it's having difficulty in finding a Studio though?)

& is 1/2 in Spanish w/subtitles-(not usually, given our current movie-going public. Great 4 Box-0ffice results)

It won the "Palm d'0r" though-(& Best Actor,etc)

However, what you are doing, sounds different & keep the faith! I cannot say I know much about P. Negri though.

Of silent era ladies' Garbo, *Pickford & Clara Bow-(probably cinemas' 1st female sex-symbol. I know more of. ESPECIALLY, Garbo!!!)

(TRIVIA: For those not aware. Adolph Zukor-(1873-1976) was thee oldest & among less-known of "Movie-Moguls"

4-got, as you know "vecchio," means old a la Italian &

I recall, you were under 75 to 80. In this era, anything human-wise under 75 or so-(if they are aloud to rec. said "Medical-Care," that is out there???)

Ain't that "VECCHIO!"-(keep me & us up to date)

Next to CALIF. I'd vote 4 Texas-(though northern pt)

to live-in.

Hey Spencer!!

I used the word 'vecchio' because I am probably the oldest person on this board - 63 - I will be 64 next February 12th. But I don't feel old!!!!!!

Update -

I left Austin Thursday morning at 11AM with no problems. The airport was crowded but I simply exchanged my Friday ticket for a Thursday one. they were probably happy to get rid of someone early. The airports in Texas are a mad house today.

Larry

LARRY GLAD YOU ARE ALL RIGHT. I MET SOME OF YOUR FAMILY IN 1961 AFTER THE TRANSPACT RACE WAS IN THE NAVY AND RUNNING AROUND WITH LARRY ANDERSON GLORIA SWANSON GRANDSON. WE HAD DINNER A COUPLE OF TIMES WITH DIDI AND HER SISTER. ALL SO MET DIDI'S FATHER MOTHER AND BROTHER LARRY. DID NOT KNOW IF THAT WAS YOU? OUR AGES ARE ABOUT THE SAME BUT READING THE FORUM YOU MAY HAVE BEEN IN EUROPE. GROWING UP IN BEEN IN I NEW A LOT OF THE STARS CHILDREN. STILL WONDERING WHAT HAPPENED TO LARRY. THOSE DAYS AT THE ROYAL HAWAIIAN WERE THE ONLY GOOD MEMORIES I HAD OF THE NAVY THANKS JIM

Hello Jim,

Although I was in LA in 1961, I had minimal contact with most of my relatives due to a war going on in that family. It ended with Nell's death in 1965, but by then I'd left the area!!!!!

Have you kept in touch with any of them over the years? Several of them have died now and even I don't know them all anymore.

There's even a large contingent of Doheny's in Minnesota, all related!!

Many of us were named Edward (Ned), Lawrence (Larry), Carolyn (Carrie, Kerrie) and Estelle (Essie). But so far, there's never been another Eleanor (Nell) -- wonder why!!!!!!

Larry

LARRY THANKS FOR ANSWERING MY NOTE I FOUND THE FIVE DOHENIES I MET IN HAWAII VERY NICE MAYBE THEY CHANGED WITH THE YEARS. TOOK ME FOR A TOUR OF THE KAMALII. AT 17 TEEN DIDI WAS A REAL BEAUTY. I GUESS YOU DIDENT KNOW GLORIA'S GRANDSON LARRY ANDERSON HIS PARENTS OWNED THE BROWN DERBY. O WELL THANKS FOR YOUR TIME. JIM

Hi Jim,

No, I did not know Gloria Swanson nor any of her family; although I've heard several stories about her.

I did know that one of her husbands opened the "Brown Derby" but I've forgotten which one.....

He was challenged by somebody - "If you know so much about food, then serve it out of a 'hat'!!! And so, he opened the "Brown Derby"....

My favourite Gloria Swanson story is: when she was asked by a reporter if "Sunset Blvd." was autobiographical, she answered, "There's no body floating in my pool, darling!!".....

Larry

Larry,

Glad you are safe and sound. Swanson's hubby had the Brown Derby on Wilshire (near the soon to be demolished Ambassador Hotel).

All that remains of that particular Brown Derby is the hat like structure that sits atop the strip mall that replaced the restaurant.

The neon sign found a home at the Museum of Neon Art downtown.