Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Two Major Hollywood Co-Stars Died One Day Apart?

TomJH

Bit of a quiz for you here.

They were two large Hollywood stars who were co-featured together one time in their lengthy film careers. Coincidentally one would die just one day after the other.

Any guesses?

Bit of a quiz for you here.

They were two large Hollywood stars who were co-featured together one time in their lengthy film careers. Coincidentally one would die just one day after the other.

Any guesses?

Now by LARGE, do you mean ...

DARREN McGAVIN and DON KNOTTS appeared in a couple of Disney films together ("No Deposit, No Return" (1976) -&- "Hot Lead and Cold Feet" (1978)) and they died 1 day apart in February 2006. 

Don Knotts died Feb. 24, 2006 at age 81.

Darren McGavin died Feb. 25, 2006 at age 83.

Both passed on in California, btw.

Edited on June 26.

James Stewart & Robert Mitchum?

Yup, you got it, Helen. Robert Mitchum died July 1, 1997, with Jimmy Stewart going the following day.

January 2, 1963 saw both Dick Powell and Jack Carson dying of cancer. I don't believe they were ever co-starred, though.

DARREN McGAVIN and DON KNOTTS both appeared in a couple of Disney films together ("No Deposit, No Return" (1976) ; "Hot Lead and Cold Feet" (1978)) and they died 1 day apart in February 2006.  McGavin was 83 and Knotts was 81.  (Knotts died Feb. 24, McGavin died Feb. 25).

I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

CHARLES LAUGHTON and THOMAS MITCHELL died 2 days apart in 1962.  They co-starred in 1939's "The Hunchback of Notre Dame".  (Laughton died at 63 on Dec. 15, 1962; Mitchell died at 70 on Dec. 17, 1962). They both had different forms of cancer.

CHARLES LAUGHTON and THOMAS MITCHELL died 2 days apart in 1962.  They co-starred in 1939's "The Hunchback of Notre Dame".  (Laughton died at 63 on Dec. 15, 1962; Mitchell died at 70 on Dec. 17, 1962). They both had different forms of cancer.

Right, with the Powell and Carson deaths from the same disease just two weeks later.

Robert Mitchum and then James Stewart, July, 1997. One day apart, actually.

I remember really reacting to hearing that Mitch had died. I was still "processing" this information when the news came that James Stewart had gone.

I loved both these actors, with a slight preference for Mitchum. I did feel rather bad for Mitch, because Stewart's death kind of "upstaged" Mitchum's. Of the two, James Stewart was more well-known.

The remake of The Big Sleep was so lack-lustre and disappointing to me that I'd forgotten about it, and despite my affection for these two icons, did not particularly enjoy either the film or seeing the two stars in it. It just made me think about how old they both were.

I dig morbid trivia, TomJh.  I reckon you could call it a weakness.

Familiar Tv and movie faces HANS CONRIED and HARVEY LEMBECK both died on January 5, 1982 in California from a heart attack.  Conried was 64 and Lembeck was 58. 

5 days later on January 10th Lembeck's co-star in "Beach Blanket Bingo" (1965) was found dead of a heart attack in Beverly Hills.  PAUL LYNDE was 55.  (Lynde's father HOY had died in 1949 at 55).

(VICTOR BUONO had died on Jan. 1, 1982 of a heart attack due to his long-time weight issues at 43).

I didn't recall that Mitchum and Stewart died at the same time. However, a friend of mine recalled that Mitchum's death sort of got lost in the media with all the eulogizing going on about Jimmy, confirming your memory of it, MissW.

I had forgotten about Mitch and Jimmy's timing. At least Sinatra got the spotlight all by himself.

Pretty sure they never performed together at any time and they are not Classic Hollywood folks but Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson died on the same day. News of Farrah came first and it was expected but the MJ bombshell hit and America kind of forgot to say goodbye to Farrah, by all accounts a good person. 

Lembeck was such an under appreciated actor all these years later. He was also an acting teacher. 

I knew this was Mitchum and Stewart right away.  I turned 40 on July 2nd of that year, and I remember it well.

Betty Grable died on my 16th birthday, in 1973.  I believe Lee Remick also passed on July 2nd, but don't remember the year.

BLU

I didn't mean for this thread to get a little, well, morbid, but does anyone know the stars that died on Christmas Day? I know of at least two.

Charlie Chaplin - December 25, 1977

Lee Bowman - December 25, 1979    Not a star, perhaps.. but an actor

Eartha Kitt - December 25, 2008

You guys are good. I completely forgot about Chaplin.

Joining Chaplin as an Xmas departure was another legendary comedian - W.C. Fields, who always claimed that he hated Christmas. I guess at the end he had another reason.

I can't think of anyone else of note who died Christmas Day, but the writer/presenter ROD SERLING was born Dec. 25, 1924. 

Re:  Lee Bowman.  He missed turning 65 by 3 three days.  He sprung to life in Ohio on Dec. 28, 1914. 

ALSO:  Speaking of July 2 . . . FRED "Herman Munster" GWYNNE died July 2, 1993 at 66 in Taneytown, Maryland.  I remember very clearly reading his obit back then.  I believe he had pancreatic cancer; he would have turned 67 on July 10th had he stuck around.  (And, what's a "ute"?!) 

Robert Mitchum and then James Stewart, July, 1997. One day apart, actually.

I remember really reacting to hearing that Mitch had died. I was still "processing" this information when the news came that James Stewart had gone.

I loved both these actors, with a slight preference for Mitchum. I did feel rather bad for Mitch, because Stewart's death kind of "upstaged" Mitchum's. Of the two, James Stewart was more well-known.

The remake of The Big Sleep was so lack-lustre and disappointing to me that I'd forgotten about it, and despite my affection for these two icons, did not particularly enjoy either the film or seeing the two stars in it. It just made me think about how old they both were.

But, it helps you to understand the plot. They could show things the prior version was unable to show on screen because of the code.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings