Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

September 2015 SCHEDULE NOW AVAILABLE

HoldenIsHere

I would like to see Fred MacMurray.  I first saw him in Double Indemnity and was surprised how he was not at all like Steve Douglas from My Three Sons.  I didn't realize he was so versatile and could play someone as complex as Walter Neff.  I loved how in Double Indemnity, while he is actively committing a crime by participating in this plot to kill his lover Barbara Stanwyck's husband, he also had a vulnerability.  He seemed like he was a good guy that was overcome by lust for Stanwyck and decided to use his knowledge of the insurance system to participate in this plot.  I felt bad for him throughout the film when he is recording his confession for boss Edward G. Robinson.  By the end, not only did he help kill Stanwyck's husband, he killed Stanwyck too--two murders. 

Since then, I've seen him in a wide variety of roles, from a couple of his comedic turns with Claudette Colbert (The Egg and I & No Time For Love), a romantic turn in Alice Adams with Katharine Hepburn and an antagonist role in Dive Bomber with Errol Flynn.  He demonstrated that he was adept at all these genres. 

• Like 1

I would like to see Fred MacMurray.  I first saw him in Double Indemnity and was surprised how he was not at all like Steve Douglas from My Three Sons.  I didn't realize he was so versatile and could play someone as complex as Walter Neff.  I loved how in Double Indemnity, while he is actively committing a crime by participating in this plot to kill his lover Barbara Stanwyck's husband, he also had a vulnerability.  He seemed like he was a good guy that was overcome by lust for Stanwyck and decided to use his knowledge of the insurance system to participate in this plot.  I felt bad for him throughout the film when he is recording his confession for boss Edward G. Robinson.  By the end, not only did he help kill Stanwyck's husband, he killed Stanwyck too--two murders. 

Since then, I've seen him in a wide variety of roles, from a couple of his comedic turns with Claudette Colbert (The Egg and I & No Time For Love), a romantic turn in Alice Adams with Katharine Hepburn and an antagonist role in Dive Bomber with Errol Flynn.  He demonstrated that he was adept at all these genres. 

Yes, I was also surprised to see how versatile Fred MacMurray was.

I really liked him in A MILLONAIRE FOR CHRISTY.

That movie also features a great performance by Eleanor Parker, another actor that I was introduced to by TCM.

• Like 1

That's a great guess, Helen!

Hope you're right.

Yeah the more I think about it, the more I like the idea. He was so versatile and was in some great movies. Yay, me for thinking of him (with a little help from IMDB. I just looked at the list of those who would have been 100 this year.) it probably won't be him though.

All mentioned so far would be great choices. But of course, I'm hoping that it'll.finally be Linda Darnell.

Maybe September 2015 will finally be Linda Darnell's month, Arturo.

I'd also love to see a tribute to Jane Greer, but I don't know if there are enough movies for Jane to be Star of the Month.  

• Like 1

Maybe September 2015 will finally be Linda Darnell's month, Arturo.

I'd also love to see a tribute to Jane Greer, but I don't know if there are enough movies for Jane to be Star of the Month.  

Victor Mature for me!

• Like 1

Victor Mature for me!

Victor Mature would be fine but then we are back to the age old question;  Can TCM get access to enough of his 20th Century Fox films for a worthy tribute?      This is the same question when stars like Darnell,  Hayward,  Dana Andrews,  etc....  are mentioned.     

• Like 1

Victor Mature would be fine but then we are back to the age of question;  Can TCM get access to enough of his 20th Century Fox films for a worthy tribute?      This is the same question when stars like Darnell,  Hayward,  Dana Andrews,  etc....  are mentioned.     

I know, i know.  And that's why I picked Victor.  Lots of Fox films in plenty of different genres.  One can live always live in hope.

• Like 1

I know, i know.  And that's why I picked Victor.  Lots of Fox films in plenty of different genres.  One can live always live in hope.

Well you have to live with a lot of hope.   When those bandages come off you could look like monkey!

(BTW,  I didn't know you lived in England,,,   assuming I understood that correctly based on that picture of Paul in that English studio). 

Well you have to live with a lot of hope.   When those bandages come off you could look like monkey!

(BTW,  I didn't know you lived in England,,,   assuming I understood that correctly based on that picture of Paul in that English studio). 

Yes, I have been dividing time in England and Toronto for about 13 years now.

The Twickenham studio was just saved by a campaign two years ago.  It had been sold to someone who was going to demolish the studios and build a hotel and other features.

A campaign was organized to stop that sale.  Paul McCartney was someone who supported it.  Anyway, the campaign won.  The Studio survived, a white knight bought it and it is being refurbished as we speak.

It has about a 100 year history, so it is a landmark.  Sadly, a lot of the other London studios are gone now.  Michael Powell's speaks about a lot of the smaller London studios in his first autobiography.   The Scott brothers came to the rescue of Pinewood and Shepperton some years back.

I'm glancing over the schedule right now and this is what is catching my eye right now...

9/2

-Susan and God, I believe it has a small role by Rita Hayworth

-Two-Faced Woman, If Garbo doesn't bore me during her SUTS tribute, this movie sounds interesting, also because it is Garbo's last film.

-A Woman's Face

-It Should Happen to You.  I've seen this movie before, I just want to watch it again.

9/7

-Billy Wilder Speaks, documentary on Billy Wilder

9/9

The Male Animal, Henry Fonda & Olivia de Havilland

9/11

The Snows of Kilimanjaro

9/13

Kim, Errol movie I haven't seen.  I missed it last time it was on

9/14

The Strawberry Blonde, I've been wanting to see this movie for awhile

9/16

Phffft!

Divorce, American Style

9/17

The Velvet Touch

The Conqueror (I am so excited to watch what I've heard was a horrible movie!)

9/20

The Key

9/27

The Swan

9/28

Wait Until Dark

I'm sure there will be a lot more movies that I'll want to watch, but this is what caught my eye first.

Yes, the September 2015 schedule is now available online.

The Star of the Month is indeed Susan Hayward.

VALLEY OF THE DOLLS is scheduled to air on September 24.

Here are the links to the weekly schedules:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=CST&sdate=2015-09-01

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=CST&sdate=2015-09-08

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=CST&sdate=2015-09-15

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=CST&sdate=2015-09-22

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=CST&sdate=2015-09-29

On September 25 there's a tribute to James Dean's television legacy.

A tribute to Sidney Lumet is scheduled for September 14.

RUNNING ON EMPTY is scheduled as part of the tribute.

Hopefully the print aired this time will not have audios drops when the expletives are spoken.

THE VERDICT is also scheduled.

A tribute to Jean-Luc Godard is scheduled for September 16.

• Like 3

Hey, they read my mind and scheduled The Face of Another (1966) and Eyes Without a Face (1960) as a double feature. Really, I think you could make a whole day of face transplant movies (but two might be enough.)

Here's the one I'm looking forward to, Kurutta ippêji (A Page of Madness) (1926). I've never heard of this but it looks fascinating to say the least!

There's also an evening of Jean-Luc Godard on the schedule, including one I've wanted to see, Alphaville (1965) with Akim Tamiroff (the reason I've wanted to see it.)

And what's that? Do my eyes deceive me or do I see The Conquerer (1956) on the schedule? Am very happy that Susan Hayward is getting her month, but am thrilled to finally get a look at this one.

• Like 3

The schedule is up!

It appears that Susan Hayward is September's SOTM.

It can be done! Yes Susan Hayward, one of a number of worthy beneficiaries of SOTM tributes who seemingly are handicapped by having done movies while under contract to studios like Paramount or 20th Century Fox, or in her case, to both. So with Shirley Temple coming up, there really is nothing that can prevent Tyrone Power, Alice Faye, Don Ameche, Paulette Goddard, Dorothy Lamour, Linda Darnell, Gene Tierney, Betty Grable, etc. etc. etc.

¡Si se puede!

• Like 1

Yes, the September 2015 schedule is now available online.

The Star of the Month is indeed Susan Hayward.

VALLEY OF THE DOLLS is scheduled to air on September 24.

Here are the links to the weekly schedules:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=CST&sdate=2015-09-01

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=CST&sdate=2015-09-08

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=CST&sdate=2015-09-15

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=CST&sdate=2015-09-22

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=CST&sdate=2015-09-29

On September 25 there's a tribute to James Dean's television legacy.

A tribute to Sidney Lumet is scheduled for September 14.

RUNNING ON EMPTY is scheduled as part of the tribute.

Hopefully the print aired this time will not have audios drops when the expletives are spoken.

THE VERDICT is also scheduled.

A tribute to Jean-Luc Godard is scheduled for September 16.

YAY! Thanks, Holden :D

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings