Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

From The Woman on Pier 13 comes...

Ward 8

Shake the whiskey, lemon juice, orange juice, and grenadine with ice; strain into a chilled cocktail glass and garnish with a maraschino cherry (if desired). 

It's an old cocktail, dating from the end of the 19th Century: In the movie though Robert Ryan seems to explain the drink as "three fingers of bourbon and a side of beer". Not sure exactly where that comes from. 

• Like 2

So did everyone have a soda dispenser in the 40's? I mean in The Big Sleep alone it seems like every room had a small bar set. After watching Murder, my Sweet and the Mildred pierce I decided whiskey Soda would be my drink for noir night. Yes I also have dispenser:)

I have a soda dispenser, too. Doesn't everyone? :)

• Like 1

For an alternative, a Dark and Stormy is tremendous:

2 oz Dark Rum (should be Goslings Black Seal)

8 oz Ginger Beer

Lime wedge

I have two beautiful copper mugs just for this drink.  I enjoy them occasionally.

• Like 1

I usually end up with bourbon straight and chilled.  I wish I could master the Mojito.  I'm told it was one of Hemingway's favorite (can't get much more noir than that), but I really can't get the muddling and sugar just right.