Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Quiz #1 Minor Criticisms

Hello All Noir Fans,   I have a small complaint about the first quiz, well, actually, 2. 30 seconds per question is not much, considering the large amount of material, most never seen by yours truly,I had to become familiar with. Mr. Muller's "Low Company, High Style", while a great piece of work, certainly names a lot of directors, writers, actors, even a cinematographer who I am mostly unfamilair with. It also throws about more than a few dates. To have these names and dates readily available in my memory are not like asking me: "Who composed the music to Bogie/Bacall films", or "name Bogie/Bacalls favorite director", or "name the studio executive who begged Hawks to incorporate changes in Bacall's scenes in "The Big Sleep". The one that kept me from the 70% correct score was using the year 1946 as to whether a film was considered "noir". Professor, could you not have chosen a bit later date than that-- "noir" is generally accepted as a classification as per the two French film critics "after WW II", and spanning a decade or more after. True, the war was over in 1945, but perhaps the entire world did not yet hear of the term "noir" only a mere year later. Even 1947's "Dark Passage" or "Nora Prentiss" would have prompted me to give a different answer. Small criticisms for a brilliant, and let me not forget, free course. Perhaps I will do better in quiz #2. Good late afternoon and evening of TCM tonight, yes? Noir 'till you drop...            RJM

I think you missed the point of the prior to 1946 question.  It wasn't asking if those particular movies prior to 1946 could be considered film noir (because many people would), it was asking if at the time these movies would be considered film noir (or any movie for that matter).  Which the answer is no, because the phrase didn't exist yet.

I think what the professor is trying to drive home is that film noir existed and was in full swing long before the term film noir ever existed. Which is pretty incredible, because you've got all these movies with a similar style and mood, but nobody was able to put a label on it until it was seen as a whole from outside eyes.

Hello All Noir Fans,   I have a small complaint about the first quiz, well, actually, 2. 30 seconds per question is not much, considering the large amount of material, most never seen by yours truly,I had to become familiar with. Mr. Muller's "Low Company, High Style", while a great piece of work, certainly names a lot of directors, writers, actors, even a cinematographer who I am mostly unfamilair with. It also throws about more than a few dates. To have these names and dates readily available in my memory are not like asking me: "Who composed the music to Bogie/Bacall films", or "name Bogie/Bacalls favorite director", or "name the studio executive who begged Hawks to incorporate changes in Bacall's scenes in "The Big Sleep". The one that kept me from the 70% correct score was using the year 1946 as to whether a film was considered "noir". Professor, could you not have chosen a bit later date than that-- "noir" is generally accepted as a classification as per the two French film critics "after WW II", and spanning a decade or more after. True, the war was over in 1945, but perhaps the entire world did not yet hear of the term "noir" only a mere year later. Even 1947's "Dark Passage" or "Nora Prentiss" would have prompted me to give a different answer. Small criticisms for a brilliant, and let me not forget, free course. Perhaps I will do better in quiz #2. Good late afternoon and evening of TCM tonight, yes? Noir 'till you drop...            RJM

• Like 4

I think you missed the point of the prior to 1946 question. It wasn't asking if those particular movies prior to 1946 could be considered film noir (because many people would), it was asking if at the time these movies would be considered film noir (or any movie for that matter). Which the answer is no, because the phrase didn't exist yet.

I think what the professor is trying to drive home is that film noir existed and was in full swing long before the term film noir ever existed. Which is pretty incredible, because you've got all these movies with a similar style and mood, but nobody was able to put a label on it until it was seen as a whole from outside eyes.

Looool..."Username"
  • Like 1

one of the problems that i think so many people are having is forgetting to have fun. it's not like any of us are out searching for a doctorate's degree in film noir. sit back, enjoy the ride, absorb some knowledge.  the most important thing is that we are all learning new things, the grade isn't that important. i've been an avid fan of film noir for a long time, but i find myself seeing more films, and examining the daily doses with a more critical eye than i ever have. and i think that's the point of this course. we shouldn't take it so seriously that we are disappointed by our performance on the quizzes.

• Like 3

Thanks for all the input, and no, I wasn't secretly being "username" in this thread :-) On TCM message boards and Twitter, I will always show up with my picture and my name. No pseudonyms for me, I'll keep it hard-boiled. 

Regarding Quiz 1, I have been receiving a lot of student feedback and I am making adjustments on all the future quizzes. 

First, I am extending the time on the quiz. Initially I thought I was going to extend it to 15 minutes, but likely now, based on even more feedback, I'll go with 20 minutes, or 1 minute per question. 

Second, I agree with the previous poster - I am designing this course to be fun and engaging! The quiz, based on feedback I've received, has been seen as a fair review of the essential information I covered in the module. Timing issues aside, I tried to minimize any need to memorizes films and dates (though the 1946 date is pretty crucial to understanding the origins of noir) and focused instead on the major topics I covered that I think we should all share in common as we continue to build our collective knowledge of film noir. 

Third, I am always open for ways to improve student experiences. Now that there are 17,000+ students in the course, let me ask a favor: if you have a suggestion for improving the course or a comment about a problem (like timing on the quiz) please post it on the Canvas Discussion Board (such as Ask the Instructor a Question About the Course). Otherwise, I might miss comments like this in this topic, or get around to them late. 

Thanks and I hope everyone is having a great time in the course. I know I am! Onwards to Week 3...

• Like 3

Thanks for all the input, and no, I wasn't secretly being "username" in this thread :-) On TCM message boards and Twitter, I will always show up with my picture and my name. No pseudonyms for me, I'll keep it hard-boiled. 

Regarding Quiz 1, I have been receiving a lot of student feedback and I am making adjustments on all the future quizzes. 

First, I am extending the time on the quiz. Initially I thought I was going to extend it to 15 minutes, but likely now, based on even more feedback, I'll go with 20 minutes, or 1 minute per question. 

Second, I agree with the previous poster - I am designing this course to be fun and engaging! The quiz, based on feedback I've received, has been seen as a fair review of the essential information I covered in the module. Timing issues aside, I tried to minimize any need to memorizes films and dates (though the 1946 date is pretty crucial to understanding the origins of noir) and focused instead on the major topics I covered that I think we should all share in common as we continue to build our collective knowledge of film noir. 

Third, I am always open for ways to improve student experiences. Now that there are 17,000+ students in the course, let me ask a favor: if you have a suggestion for improving the course or a comment about a problem (like timing on the quiz) please post it on the Canvas Discussion Board (such as Ask the Instructor a Question About the Course). Otherwise, I might miss comments like this in this topic, or get around to them late. 

Thanks and I hope everyone is having a great time in the course. I know I am! Onwards to Week 3...

Richard:

As a college professor myself, I feel your pain! I get similar feedback regarding my exams and time to complete the questions. Granted, I felt  a bit rushed with 30 seconds per question, since I wasn't sure if I had really "gotten" the materials sufficiently to earn the grade needed for the certificate (I did fine on the first quiz; jury is still out, with several quizzes and a final remaining). With the enrollment, it doesn't appear the issues of time were a major concern, so channel Bogie and "slap 'em around a little." ;)

• Like 1

Richard:

As a college professor myself, I feel your pain! I get similar feedback regarding my exams and time to complete the questions. Granted, I felt  a bit rushed with 30 seconds per question, since I wasn't sure if I had really "gotten" the materials sufficiently to earn the grade needed for the certificate (I did fine on the first quiz; jury is still out, with several quizzes and a final remaining). With the enrollment, it doesn't appear the issues of time were a major concern, so channel Bogie and "slap 'em around a little." ;)

Love it! Now that's a truly hard-boiled response! Thanks for the words of support and encouragement. And I do like feedback, positive and negative, as I continue to make sure this is the best course it can be! 

• Like 2

Thanks for all the input, and no, I wasn't secretly being "username" in this thread :-) On TCM message boards and Twitter, I will always show up with my picture and my name. No pseudonyms for me, I'll keep it hard-Boiled

On the level? Joking... Good thing there wasn't any money invested in my bet.

Dear Richard

The one change I would make to the course is your directing students to the TCM message board after watching Daily Dose of Darkness.  I am posting all my replies on Canvas and I feel this should be the first point of communication.  Of course it is a good idea to then come to the TCM board and expand on topics or add any original thoughts.  But I found it very confusing at the start of the course to be sent to a message board which seemed to be 'all over the place' regarding answers to your suggested topics.  I am now on track and doing my own thing.  May I also say you have introduced me to some very interesting movies which would never appear on TV in the UK.. You probably know that TCM UK is not celebrating Film Noir.  I don't consider this a drawback as it leaves me more time to get on with my day-to-day life.

Regards

Lynda

Dear Richard

The one change I would make to the course is your directing students to the TCM message board after watching Daily Dose of Darkness.  I am posting all my replies on Canvas and I feel this should be the first point of communication.  Of course it is a good idea to then come to the TCM board and expand on topics or add any original thoughts.  But I found it very confusing at the start of the course to be sent to a message board which seemed to be 'all over the place' regarding answers to your suggested topics.  I am now on track and doing my own thing.  May I also say you have introduced me to some very interesting movies which would never appear on TV in the UK.. You probably know that TCM UK is not celebrating Film Noir.  I don't consider this a drawback as it leaves me more time to get on with my day-to-day life.

Regards

Lynda

Hi Lynda, Thanks for your comment. That was the original plan, but there are too many students who had or are having trouble accessing or figuring out the TCM message board. In order to allow everyone to participate, I opened the posting on the Daily Doses on Canvas.

I prefer all students to use TCM message board as the default, but with 18,000+ students now, having just one option wasn't feasible.

And I am aware it is causing confusion and duplication, but I haven't been able to figure out a better workaround. I would rather have everyone posting and getting involved - engagement is my key goal. And as someone who monitors both posting sites, I do find that Canvas and TCM each have their communities now, and that is fine.

But most students, as you note, are just deciding for themselves which place they prefer to post - either is fine with me! Thanks so much for being in the course!

• Like 2

I do find that Canvas and TCM each have their communities now, and that is fine.

Not only is it fine--I think it's probably a blessing. With such a large class size, fluid conversations in the threads are mildly difficult. Even with just the group that is here, threads balloon out to hundreds of posts pretty quickly, which makes following them somewhat challenging. I notice that most people tend to post their own thoughts without responding to others--largely because they are wanting to respond to the three daily prompting questions.

I am glad to see that the time limit on the quiz is going to be upped. While I finished the first quiz pretty fast (I am a very quick reader), just seeing a ticking clock was making me anxious. I know there's an option to hide the timer, but then I was worried that somehow I'd run out of time. I think that the increased quiz time will also be good for any classmates for whom English is a second language or who might have reading difficulties that make getting through the problems take longer. To me, the main function of the quiz is to reiterate the important points that have been covered for that week--check-ins to make sure that I'm picking up the key ideas and names/dates.

• Like 2

Actually a major quiz#1 criticism -  I just heard about the course today and signed up so I'm catching up.  In reviewing how to do the course I clicked on Quiz#1 to check the format without planning to take it yet.  When I exited (I didn't answer any of the questions) I got an email grading my quiz as 0/20!  I went back to the quiz to take it by providing answers and the answers were all highlighted.  So much for my wanting to do the course quizzes - I flunked before I even began.  Bummer!

Actually a major quiz#1 criticism -  I just heard about the course today and signed up so I'm catching up.  In reviewing how to do the course I clicked on Quiz#1 to check the format without planning to take it yet.  When I exited (I didn't answer any of the questions) I got an email grading my quiz as 0/20!  I went back to the quiz to take it by providing answers and the answers were all highlighted.  So much for my wanting to do the course quizzes - I flunked before I even began.  Bummer!

Hi voyeur, please email me your Canvas name to my Canvas inbox and I will get your first quiz re-opened. Thanks for letting me know.

Best, Prof. Edwards

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings