Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Eddie Muller's 'Low Company, High Style: The Eternal Allure of Film Noir'

What a masterpiece of literature. He writes with such electrickery! I'll have to read it again and again. There are roughly 10 words I have to look up...

I agree with you. I think what I really appreciated was the linear way he wrote about Film Noir--not only the history of it, but also expanding on how others view it. It's a great overview to help focus on elements of Film Noir.

• Like 2

I'm so glad to hear the wonderful comments on Eddie's article. I think Eddie writes in his own inimitable style - it's graceful, insightful, and full of turns of phrases that make me want to watch more film noir! He's also written several wonderful books on film noir. I highly recommend reading more of his work if you like his article! It's terrific stuff!

• Like 3

Since there's a topic for this: Was anyone else confused by the last paragraph where Muller compares cynicism and pessimism- I always thought the words were interchangeable. Does anyone get what he's driving at?

Since there's a topic for this: Was anyone else confused by the last paragraph where Muller compares cynicism and pessimism- I always thought the words were interchangeable. Does anyone get what he's driving at?

One doesn't have to be a pessimist to be cynical n vice versa.

• Like 1

One doesn't have to be a pessimist to be cynical n vice versa.

I'm so glad to hear the wonderful comments on Eddie's article. I think Eddie writes in his own inimitable style - it's graceful, insightful, and full of turns of phrases that make me want to watch more film noir! He's also written several wonderful books on film noir. I highly recommend reading more of his work if you like his article! It's terrific stuff!

I have seen Eddie Muller speak and open films at the TCM Classic Film Festivals.  He is excellent in that venue, too.  And he is the one who made me think that perhaps some of Hitchcock's films are noir as he included one in some films noirs he was listing.

• Like 2

From Merriam-Webster.com:

cynical beliefs : beliefs that people are generally selfish and dishonest

pessimism: a feeling or belief that bad things will happen in the future : a feeling or belief that what you hope for will not happen.

So they are not interchangeable.

• Like 1

Right...I wish Paramount's DARK CITY was featured during this series, because it was the inspiration for one of Eddie's best publications. 

I am a cynic because I believe everything that can go wrong will go wrong. But I'm not a pessimist because I'm looking forward to collecting all that money from betting that everything would go wrong. See? A simple distinction. 

Thank you, Richard, and everyone else for all the kind comments about the "Low Company, High Style" article. I'm looking forward to my "appearance" in the class.

• Like 3

I am a cynic because I believe everything that can go wrong will go wrong. But I'm not a pessimist because I'm looking forward to collecting all that money from betting that everything would go wrong. See? A simple distinction. 

Thank you, Richard, and everyone else for all the kind comments about the "Low Company, High Style" article. I'm looking forward to my "appearance" in the class.