Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

September & October 2015 on TCM

TopBilled

It's always interesting to see what sort of films TCM airs and what sort of stars TCM honors during the fall months.

About two years ago, there was a great spotlight that focused on Alfred Hitchcock during the month of September. Almost every one of his sound features were broadcast (with the exception maybe being JAMAICA INN). 

A September or two before that we had the TCM premiere of THE STORY OF TEMPLE DRAKE-- and even better we had a month-long spotlight on Merchant-Ivory, which I loved.

October brings a lot of the usual horror suspects but most of those titles are welcomed (re-welcomed) by viewers each year. I am wondering if Christopher Lee will be SOTM this October, due to his recent death. The films we see during the June 22nd memorial tribute for Lee could easily be re-used for a month-long tribute, plus many of the other horror films he made. I guess we will see what happens.

Someone who has been in touch with the TCM programmers private messaged me this morning and says that it looks encouraging about George Sanders becoming a Star of the Month. Fingers crossed, I am hoping for October, since thematically, many of his films would be perfect for October.

• Like 2

It's always interesting to see what sort of films TCM airs and what sort of stars TCM honors during the fall months.

About two years ago, there was a great spotlight that focused on Alfred Hitchcock during the month of September. Almost every one of his sound features were broadcast (with the exception maybe being JAMAICA INN). 

A September or two before that we had the TCM premiere of THE STORY OF TEMPLE DRAKE-- and even better we had a month-long spotlight on Merchant-Ivory, which I loved.

Beyond any particular month, I've always found many of the month long  "Spotlight" features far more interesting than the SOTM selections, which truthfully often seem pedestrian and filled with the Same Old Same Old.  The tribute to Hitchcock that you mention  was one outstanding example, as were similar tributes to Kurosawa (March 2010), Truffaut (July 2013), and of course our ongoing Summer of Darkness series.

Someone who has been in touch with the TCM programmers private messaged me this morning and says that it looks encouraging about George Sanders becoming a Star of the Month. Fingers crossed, I am hoping for October, since thematically, many of his films would be perfect for October.

Excellent! Good work.

• Like 1

If CHRISTOPHER LEE is given a SOTM tribute is I hope TCM would show a few movies he made that are non-horror.  There's no shortage of movies he appeared in; he liked to work.  I'm not saying TCM ought to air stuff like "The Rosebud Beach Hotel", "Jocks" or "Police Academy: Mission to Moscow", but since Turner Classic made a deal with Disney perhaps "Return from Witch Mountain" (1978) could be aired.  Or "Serial" (1980), a satirical comedy I've seen and I thought Lee was hilarious in.  He had a sympathetic role in the 1971 Western "Hannie Caulder" (as a gunsmith) which I've seen recently.       

Beyond any particular month, I've always found many of the month long  "Spotlight" features far more interesting than the SOTM selections, which truthfully often seem pedestrian and filled with the Same Old Same Old.  The tribute to Hitchcock that you mention  was one outstanding example, as were similar tributes to Kurosawa (March 2010), Truffaut (July 2013), and of course our ongoing Summer of Darkness series.

A major reason I started this thread is because I think the programming choices tend to be better in the fall, I don't know why that is.

As you indicated, Andy, they hit their stride when they do month-long retrospectives on directors. While the Merchant-Ivory anniversary tribute looked at a production company as a whole, all those films were directed by James Ivory. So for anyone who may subscribe to the auteur theory, it's heaven.

If CHRISTOPHER LEE is given a SOTM tribute is I hope TCM would show a few movies he made that are non-horror.  There's no shortage of movies he appeared in; he liked to work.  I'm not saying TCM ought to air stuff like "The Rosebud Beach Hotel", "Jocks" or "Police Academy: Mission to Moscow", but since Turner Classic made a deal with Disney perhaps "Return from Witch Mountain" (1978) could be aired.  Or "Serial" (1980), a satirical comedy I've seen and I thought Lee was hilarious in.  He had a sympathetic role in the 1971 Western "Hannie Caulder" (as a gunsmith) which I've seen recently.       

I read that Tarantino was/is a big fan of HANNIE CAULDER. He supposedly raves about Robert Culp's performance in it.

I believe it was a remake. Originally, Macdonald Carey starred in a version back in the 50s.

Nice to see that Susan Hayward is the September 2015 Star of the Month.

My hometown girl Carole Landis has an evening on the 21st-- so stoked about that!

That's great, but where did you see this information?  Has the September schedule been posted?

That's great, but where did you see this information?  Has the September schedule been posted?

Yes, Andy, it has been posted. Barton listed all the Hayward titles over in a new thread on the SOTM sub-forum. The programmers did a good job of including pictures she made at Paramount, Universal and Fox.

For more:

http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/53833-susan-hayward-as-sotm-september-2015/

• 2 months later...

My hometown girl Carole Landis has an evening on the 21st

I am hoping when we get the December schedule in a few days that Carole's tribute has been rescheduled. Her birthday is January 1st, so her fans would even be content with her getting feted that month. 

The September 21st primetime lineup with Carole Landis films was bumped because of the Omar Sharif memorial tribute TCM is doing.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings