Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Kiss Before Dying - 1956 ???

FItzMularkey

Hi:

I'm new to the message boards but noticed that A Kiss Before Dying (1956 version with

Robert Wagner) is on today.  I've never seen it but intrigued by the idea of Robert Wagner as

a killer. Is it worth watching?

FitzMularkey

Absolutely. And welcome to the boards!

Hi:

I'm new to the message boards but noticed that A Kiss Before Dying (1956 version with

Robert Wagner) is on today.  I've never seen it but intrigued by the idea of Robert Wagner as

FitzMularkey

Welcome to the Boards, and YES definitely worth watching :)                   

Hi:

FitzMularkey

Well, I didn't like it, but I'm glad I've seen it, Know what I mean?

Sometimes you want to watch a film you've heard of, maybe heard a lot about it. But then when you finally do see it, you're disappointed. That's how I felt about A Kiss Before Dying.

However, before I finally had a chance to watch it, I was dying to see it.    Actually, I did make a point of viewing it one time when it was aired on TCM, because I think it's classified as a film noir, and I try to see every noir I can. Watch first, decide whether I liked it or not later.

So, do watch it, and I hope you enjoy it. For me, the best thing about it was its title.

Wow.  Thanks for the quick responses.  Next question:  Is there any suspense to Robert Wagner

as the killer or does it become clear very early in the film that "He's the guy."  A little suspense would be nice but I get the sense by reading the Article about the film that he is revealed very early on. Skipped the synopsis in the interest of having a few surprises.

The title is great. Was this based on a book?

FitzMularkey

Wow.  Thanks for the quick responses.  Next question:  Is there any suspense to Robert Wagner

as the killer or does it become clear very early in the film that "He's the guy."  A little suspense would be nice but I get the sense by reading the Article about the film that he is revealed very early on. Skipped the synopsis in the interest of having a few surprises.

FitzMularkey

yes Ira  Levin wrote the book and I remember reading it when it first hit the stands many years ago. Yes you know early on the Robert Wagner is the killer. 

• Like 1

FitzMularkey

Based on a 1954 novel by Ira Levin.

If you're a Mary Astor fan and if you watch the film on TCM today and you are impressed by her, she plays a similar role (smothering mother) in RETURN TO PEYTON PLACE a few years later.

By the way, this film was remade with Sean Young and Matt Dillon in the early 90s. In the remake, Diane Ladd played the mother, hot off her Oscar nomination for David Lynch's WILD AT HEART. 

The 1991 version is a bit more graphic, because there was no production code to water down the elements of the original story. For more:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Kiss_Before_Dying_(1991_film)

It's based on Ira Levin's novel, which became celebrated among mystery buffs for the twist I mentioned earlier.

Curiously, during this same period Levin had a big hit as a playwright with No Time For Sergeants, starring Andy Griffith. I guess that's what you call versatility.

• Like 1

This film is most mesmerizing if one has never seen it *and* if you want to see the young and beautiful RJ (Wagner) playing very much against type.  He is so good and so is Joanne Woodward. Nice seeing her before her star making role in Three Faces of Eve.

I do still enjoy it and will watch again today.

Mos def a must see.

I'm so sorry about this.  I didn't see another thread about the same film.  

Just call me a newbie.

Don't worry about it. No big deal.  We are always glad to get

new voices on the board.  As for A Kiss Before Dying, it is definitely

worth checking out. Not a great film but certainly fun to see "Wholesome

Boy Wagner" play against type.

Lydecker

I'll bow to that.

Joanne Woodward is pretty good in a supporting role in this one too.

Her role reminds me of the Shelley Winters role in A Place in the Sun -  how he is desperate to get out of the situation he is in.

There are some great Los Angeles and Arizona location scenes in this one.  George Macready - he seems to be in every other film I've seen lately - a good thing for me.

• Like 2

Her role reminds me of the Shelley Winters role in A Place in the Sun -  how he is desperate to get out of the situation he is in.

There are some great Los Angeles and Arizona location scenes in this one.  George Macready - he seems to be in every other film I've seen lately - a good thing for me.

George Macready does get around.    I saw him last night in Johnny Allegro.   A film with George Raft and Nina Foch as well.   (the type of George I'm used to verses A Kiss Before Dying).

Yep, her role is like Shelley Winters' in A Place In the Sun but, in the case of Joanne Woodward's character, you are actually sorry she gets killed!

Lydecker

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings