Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

General Forum Questions

I have a question about using the forums, but I feel like other could also use this thread to post any questions they might have.

My question is: when I go into a thread, all of the posts are ordered with the last post first. I find this really disorienting and difficult to read, because I get to someone's reply before I get to the post they replied to. It also means that I have to scroll up to follow a conversation, which is just down-right unAmerican, amiright?! Is there a way to reverse the order so that post #1 on page #1 is the first post of the thread and then I can read the posts in chronological, descending order?

• Like 2

You're right. Our instructed said that he couldn't do anything about the chronology of the posts but suggested that people use topic tags.

Another frustration I have is that there isn't a "chat" feature on this site. I think it would be enormously beneficial to have conversations with eachother I real time. The Twitter page #NoirSummer doesn't seem to generate a conversation, more like disjointed thoughts that are not sympathetic to a real discussion about the course or film noir etc.

You're right. Our instructed said that he couldn't do anything about the chronology of the posts but suggested that people use topic tags.

Another frustration I have is that there isn't a "chat" feature on this site. I think it would be enormously beneficial to have conversations with eachother I real time. The Twitter page #NoirSummer doesn't seem to generate a conversation, more like disjointed thoughts that are not sympathetic to a real discussion about the course or film noir etc.

Yes,  it takes one to the latest post.   There is the 'view new content' feature.   I use this 100% of the time.  Therefor I only 'see' threads that I have yet to read.    I do understand that most people,  especially ones new to this forum feel the post are 'out of order'.

But for old timers (as in, as a user) like me that come here each day,  I like the order.  e.g.  take a thread with 100 post.   I don't wish to go to the oldest post (post 100) and than have to get to the recent post I have yet to read.    

There is one change I wish they would make;  that is to take one to the last unread post per thread.   Using that same 100 post example,  if I have already read 97 of the post,  it would take me right to post #3.    

Either way,  there should be a user option so each user can order the threads as they wish.  We have asked the moderator for this, but so far no go.   

• Like 1

I have a question about using the forums, but I feel like other could also use this thread to post any questions they might have.

My question is: when I go into a thread, all of the posts are ordered with the last post first. I find this really disorienting and difficult to read, because I get to someone's reply before I get to the post they replied to. It also means that I have to scroll up to follow a conversation, which is just down-right unAmerican, amiright?! Is there a way to reverse the order so that post #1 on page #1 is the first post of the thread and then I can read the posts in chronological, descending order?

The reserve order is driving me nuts. No forums I use do that,and whoever did this is out of the loop in forum world. I feel like a fish swimming up stream. ????
  • Like 1

The reserve order is driving me nuts. No forums I use do that,and whoever did this is out of the loop in forum world.

Okay--I'm glad to see that I wasn't just missing some sort of  "Show posts in descending order" button or something.

It's obviously not the biggest deal (and I understand that for people who are used to these forums it is the norm), but I find it makes the threads burdensome to navigate and it means that I end up skipping a lot of other users' posts because it's such a pain to read them in the correct order.

Also, apologies if this thread is double-dipping into a discussion that's already been had here. I didn't see any other threads on the forum that seemed like a good place to look for these answers.

Okay--I'm glad to see that I wasn't just missing some sort of "Show posts in descending order" button or something.

It's obviously not the biggest deal (and I understand that for people who are used to these forums it is the norm), but I find it makes the threads burdensome to navigate and it means that I end up skipping a lot of other users' posts because it's such a pain to read them in the correct order.

Also, apologies if this thread is double-dipping into a discussion that's already been had here. I didn't see any other threads on the forum that seemed like a good place to look for these answers.

Yeah,it's not the worst thing in the world,but it does frustrate me because im being asked to switch hit,when my whole career I've batted right.

Yeah,it's not the worst thing in the world,but it does frustrate me when I switch over to my other forum.

We need to keep bugging the moderator so they add a user selection feature to the user profile that allows one to customize how the order works.

BUT in this specific case isn't the order working 'fine' in that you were taken right to the post that was replying to you,  instead of the first post of this thread (one you have already read?).       Isn't that more of a 'real time' type of chat?

We need to keep bugging the moderator so they add a user selection feature to the user profile that allows one to customize how the order works.

BUT in this specific case isn't the order working 'fine' in that you were taken right to the post that was replying to you, instead of the first post of this thread (one you have already read?). Isn't that more of a 'real time' type of chat?

The other forums already do that for you. It's the pages that are going upside down that's the issue.

BUT in this specific case isn't the order working 'fine' in that you were taken right to the post that was replying to you,  instead of the first post of this thread (one you have already read?).       Isn't that more of a 'real time' type of chat?

In an ideal world (for me, at least), when I click on a thread I've never visited before, I would like to be taken to the first post from that thread, at the top of a page. From there I'd like to scroll down through the rest of the posts, and then on to the next page(s) as needed. Once I've visited a thread, I then simply use a "Go to first unread" button to get to where I left off.

Scrolling up (on the page) and to the left (as you navigate between pages) is just counter-intuitive, especially reading English (because when we read a book we read down each page and then the next piece of content comes to the right, not to the left). In a 31-page discussion, I would expect the most recent content to be on page 31, not on page 1. Page 1 should be the beginning (or so say my instincts as a reader).

I know it sounds like I'm harping on this too much, but I've literally never seen a forum set up this way, and I would have assumed that the default setting in this type of software would be for the posts to go down the page, not up. It strikes me as odd that someone would choose this type of organization.

The heart of my complaint is that the counter-intuitive navigation means that I can only read a page or two before I get frustrated and end up skipping to just the last few posts. It means that I'm skipping over a lot of other users' posts, which is a shame. But I am not exaggerating when I say that the scrolling up is literally headache-inducing for me. It's, again, a minor complaint. But it's also a complaint that seems like it might easily be addressed?

In an ideal world (for me, at least), when I click on a thread I've never visited before, I would like to be taken to the first post from that thread, at the top of a page. From there I'd like to scroll down through the rest of the posts, and then on to the next page(s) as needed. Once I've visited a thread, I then simply use a "Go to first unread" button to get to where I left off.

Scrolling up (on the page) and to the left (as you navigate between pages) is just counter-intuitive, especially reading English (because when we read a book we read down each page and then the next piece of content comes to the right, not to the left). In a 31-page discussion, I would expect the most recent content to be on page 31, not on page 1. Page 1 should be the beginning (or so say my instincts as a reader).

I know it sounds like I'm harping on this too much, but I've literally never seen a forum set up this way, and I would have assumed that the default setting in this type of software would be for the posts to go down the page, not up. It strikes me as odd that someone would choose this type of organization.

The heart of my complaint is that the counter-intuitive navigation means that I can only read a page or two before I get frustrated and end up skipping to just the last few posts. It means that I'm skipping over a lot of other users' posts, which is a shame. But I am not exaggerating when I say that the scrolling up is literally headache-inducing for me. It's, again, a minor complaint. But it's also a complaint that seems like it might easily be addressed?

I agree that the system should be changed to take users to the oldest unread post,  per thread; with older, read post above, and newer, unread threads below.

Anyhow I hope you stick around regardless.   This forum could use some fresh users.   

I agree that the system should be changed to take users to the oldest unread post,  per thread; with older, read post above, and newer, unread threads below.

Anyhow I hope you stick around regardless.   This forum could use some fresh users.   

Ha--it's hardly enough to drive me away (at least not until the Noir class is over). It's nice mingling with a new group of movie fans.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ha--it's hardly enough to drive me away (at least not until the Noir class is over). It's nice mingling with a new group of movie fans.

It gets downright un-friendly around here without the Noir class, try and start a discussion about Noirs in the busy General Topic board and they get banished to the dead Film Noir/Gangster board, before you know it. I hope this summer program is an eye opener for some overly a*n*a*l moderators & their minions. ;)

It gets downright un-friendly around here without the Noir class, try and start a discussion about Noirs in the busy General Topic board and they get banished to the dead Film Noir/Gangster board, before you know it. I hope this summer program is an eye opener for some overly a*n*a*l moderators & their minions. ;)

Now that is irony; The noir class folks are a more friendly bunch than say, the romantic-comedy bunch.      :blink:

But yea,  it has been nice seeing all the interest in noir films.     Like jazz of the era,  while the audience is a lot smaller today appreciation lives on.     

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings