Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

More foreign films in Summer of Darkness

I really enjoy the Summer of Darkness festival, but would like to see more foreign films included in the schedule. I was disappointed not to see  some of the following films listed: Rififi, Les Diaboliques, The Wages of Fear, Night and the City, Mona Lisa, Sexy Beast, Therese Raquin, Chase A Crooked Shadow, Cast A Dark Shadow, The Clouded Yellow (rarely ever seen anymore), Pepe Le Moko. I also feel that several American films should have been included such as Force of Evil and Body And Soul - two of John Garfield's greatest performances and two great film noirs. Perhaps some of the above films will be included next year.

I really enjoy the Summer of Darkness festival, but would like to see more foreign films included in the schedule. I was disappointed not to see  some of the following films listed: Rififi, Les Diaboliques, The Wages of Fear, Night and the City, Mona Lisa, Sexy Beast, Therese Raquin, Chase A Crooked Shadow, Cast A Dark Shadow, The Clouded Yellow (rarely ever seen anymore), Pepe Le Moko. I also feel that several American films should have been included such as Force of Evil and Body And Soul - two of John Garfield's greatest performances and two great film noirs. Perhaps some of the above films will be included next year.

I agree but you have to draw the line somewhere.  Perhaps TCM will take note of your suggestion and have a European Noir festival. 

I agree but you have to draw the line somewhere.  Perhaps TCM will take note of your suggestion and have a European Noir festival. 

Good Idea.   Feature European noir films,  say, one day a week in a given month,  showing 4 or so films from around 3:00 PM until Midnight.

You're correct about 'draw the line';    We all would like TCM to feature more films from various genres, countries,  styles,  actors,  directors,  etc....        But some people tend to forget is that if TCM focuses on "X" it means they have to show less of "Y" since there are only 24 hours in a day (i.e.   10 or so movies TCM can feature per day,  and since we all sleep it really is more like 5 - 6 that we can actually watch).

Films like RIFIFI and CAST A DARK SHADOW turn up on TCM from time to time. DIABOLIQUE was an Essential selected by Drew Barrymore a few years ago. THE WAGES OF FEAR aired just in the past year. 

The two John Garfield titles you mentioned have unfortunately been missing in action a long time. Not sure what the hold up is on those.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings