Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Yes, It's How Many Ways Can We Torture Lassie Day on TCM!

lydecker

Sold away from the boy she loves, sent to war, beaten, starved, shot at, put on trial. Yes, it's just

another day in the life of Lassie/Laddie.  Such fun family fare!

Lydecker

Au contraire, Lydecker.

Lassie should have been put down in the first film!  What a pain in the butt.

Lassie Come Home (1943)

Donald Crisp and Elsa Lanchester are so poor they cannot feed their own family let alone the useless mutt.  So, they sell it and are able to eat once again.  But Lassie keeps escaping from its new owner and turns up like a bad penny again and again, embarrassing Crisp and continually upsetting poor Roddy just when he seems to be getting over things.

Son of Lassie (1945)

Peter Lawford joins the RAF and is embarrassed time and again when Lassie turns up.  The mutt even stows away on his bomber during a mission over Norway.

Forced to parachute over enemy territory, Lawford manages to connect with the Norwegian resistance.  But who ruins everything?  Lassie, of course.  The Germans follow Lassie and the mutt gives away the game by returning to its master.

Courage of Lassie (1946)

After riding the rails, Lassie jumps off the train near Vancouver and makes its way back home.   Its in such a state that Elizabeth Taylor has to put her life on hold to look after it.

Hills of Home (1948)

Edmund Gwenn is saddled with looking after the useless dog in this one.  Lassie is afraid of water which results in lots of problems for its reluctant owner.

Challenge to Lassie (1949)

Usurping the Greyfriar's Bobby story, Lassie threatens the livelihood of the local Chruchyard keeper by continually turning up like a bad penny to sit on his dead master's grave.  What a stupid mutt.

The Sun Comes Up (1949)

Jeanette MacDonald is leaving the theatre with her son and about to cross the street to their car.  Lassie, who was waiting in the parked car jumps out of the open window which prompts Jeanette's boy to run toward it.  He is then hit by a truck and killed.  Lassie, look what you did!

If that's not enough.  Lassie later befriends Claude Jarman, Jr. and Jeanette is sucked into looking after this yucky orphan.

it also ended Jeanette MacDoanld's screen career.

The Painted Hills (1951)

Lassie does nothing while her master is killed.

• Like 3

Au contraire, Lydecker.

Lassie Come Home (1943)

Donald Crisp and Elsa Lanchester are so poor they cannot feed their own family let alone the useless mutt.  So, they sell it and are able to eat once again.  But Lassie keeps escaping from its new owner and turns up like a bad penny again and again, embarrassing Crisp and continually upsetting poor Roddy just when he seems to be getting over things.

Son of Lassie (1945)

Peter Lawford joins the RAF and is embarrassed time and again when Lassie turns up.  The mutt even stows away on his bomber during a mission over Norway.

Forced to parachute over enemy territory, Lawford manages to connect with the Norwegian resistance.  But who ruins everything?  Lassie, of course.  The Germans follow Lassie and the mutt gives away the game by returning to its master.

Courage of Lassie (1946)

After riding the rails, Lassie jumps off the train near Vancouver and makes its way back home.   Its in such a state that Elizabeth Taylor has to put her life on hold to look after it.

Hills of Home (1948)

Edmund Gwenn is saddled with looking after the useless dog in this one.  Lassie is afraid of water which results in lots of problems for its reluctant owner.

Usurping the Greyfriar's Bobby story, Lassie threatens the livelihood of the local Chruchyard keeper by continually turning up like a bad penny to sit on his dead master's grave.  What a stupid mutt.

The Sun Comes Up (1949)

Jeanette MacDonald is leaving the theatre with her son and about to cross the street to their car.  Lassie, who was waiting in the parked car jumps out of the open window which prompts Jeanette's boy to run toward it.  He is then hit by a truck and killed.  Lassie, look what you did!

If that's not enough.  Lassie later befriends Claude Jarman, Jr. and Jeanette is sucked into looking after this yucky orphan.

The Painted Hills (1951)

I've got a good mind to sic Rover on you.

Au contraire, Lydecker.

Lassie Come Home (1943)

Son of Lassie (1945)

Courage of Lassie (1946)

Hills of Home (1948)

The Sun Comes Up (1949)

The Painted Hills (1951)

Lassie says:  "The trainer made me do it."

Lassie says:  "The trainer made me do it."

i didn't watch them today, but loved Ben's intro when they showed Lassie Come Home a while back where he mentioned that the trainer stood off-camera with a treat.  And that the treat was for Donald Crisp.  LOL.

• Like 2

I always think it's funny when watching these movies, or the old TV show, that LASSIE actually WAS a Laddie!  :lol:

Wonder, if the dog was ever aware, what he would have felt about that.

Sepiatone

"Lassie Was Actually A Laddie" sounds like a title to an old English drinking song . . . 

"Lassie Was Actually A Laddie" sounds like a title to an old English drinking song . . . 

"Well I'm not dumb but I can't understand

Why she walked like a lass but barked like a lad

Oh my Lassie, la, la, la, la, la. la Lassie"

• Like 3

Had a party last Saturday and I played the song (well the Kinks version),  in honor of Jenner.

yes this might take on added significance ...

"Well I'm not the world's most physical guy

But when she squeezed me tight she nearly broke my spine

Oh, my Jenner,  je, je, je, je, Jenner"

• Like 1

I'm working from home today, and had my tv on to TCM all morning. My dogs were in there the whole time. I wonder what they thought of the Lassie marathon?

They'll never tell but I am thinking it went something like this:  "Why do we dogs have to save humans' butts so often?"

Lydecker

I didn't see Lassie carrying any sticks of dynamite in its mouth like Won Ton Ton.

That reminds me of a story I read in the Darwin Awards years ago about a dog and dynamite.

If I remember it correctly, these two guys were out ice fishing without an auger or an axe, but somehow did manage to have some dynamite.

So they got the idea of just blowing a hole in the ice.

One guy lit a stick and threw it out on the ice.

Then, his faithful dog went running after the "stick" to play fetch with his master.

The two guys go scrambling for their jeep to escape the impending calamity....

I can't remember what happened next?   :rolleyes:

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings