Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HEAVEN CAN WAIT's Don Ameche for Star of the Month

Arturo

Another worthy candidate in that long list of worthies for Star of the Month is Don Ameche. Last evening's programming featuring several of his movies, including three from 20th Century Fox, where he spent a decade, offers a template upon which to build a month of Ameche movies. Obviously, it is doable, especially if enough of his titles from Fox can be leased. Additionally, several of the films done at other studios turn up regularly on TCM.

Ameche was a consummate professional, with his sonorous yet brittle speaking voice perfect for comedy or drama. He had a long career, punctuated by a late in life return to starring roles in the 1980s. Come on TCM, you can't go wrong with the man whose name became synonymous with the telephone.

• Like 7

I'm glad someone started a thread for Don Ameche. I watched some of his movies last night and

really got an appreciation for his talent. I remember him from a show he hosted when I was a kid; it had circus acts from all over the world. I also remember that my Dad liked him immensely.

He seemed like the "all-around good guy".  He could play comedy and drama equally and he was a good singer. He was married only once for over 50 years till his wife died and he had six kids. You never heard of any scandals or gossip about him.

It would be nice to showcase him as SOTM but I doubt it due to his long tenure at 20th Century Fox.

Bigger stars at 20th Century such as Tyrone Power, Alice Faye and Betty Grable have never been featured as SOTM.

• Like 1

Bigger stars at 20th Century such as Tyrone Power, Alice Faye and Betty Grable have never been featured as SOTM.

And don't forget Marilyn Monroe. She hasn't been featured yet (but probably will be). Unfortunately, Ameche is down the line in the pecking order of Fox stars that TCM would honor, though of course he is most deserving.

I do think that a SUTS tribute (a full day of his films, including some of his later titles) would be very appropriate and do-able.

I'm glad someone started a thread for Don Ameche. I watched some of his movies last night and

really got an appreciation for his talent. I remember him from a show he hosted when I was a kid; it had circus acts from all over the world. I also remember that my Dad liked him immensely.

I remember that show. It was called "International Showtime."

My favorite Ameche role, as I know I've mentioned before, is Midnight.  But recently I also saw him in The Magnificent Dope as a slick promoter of his school of success who ropes in a naive Henry Fonda to be its spokesperson.  It was pretty good - Ameche made it enjoyable.

• Like 3

My favorite Ameche performance was in one of his last movies -- David Mamet's 1988 drama "Things Change." The actor stars as a Chicago shoeshine operator who agrees to take the rap for a murder committed by a lookalike Mafioso. If Ameche hadn't already won an Oscar for "Cocoon" (1985), he might have been a strong contender for the 1988 Best Actor award.

• Like 1

I watched a early Douglas Sirk film noir on Amazon Prime. Sleep My Love 1948 starred Don Ameche as a adulterous husband to Claudette Colbert. The young mistress is pushing Don hard to make a move to get rid of Claudette. Don employs a crooked doctor, and Claudette begins having nightmares after being given drugs and hypnosis. Don is believable in this change of pace role.

• Like 1

Ameche gets my vote, because he made around 60 films--if TCM could get rights for 25 of them, that's enough for a Star of the Month.

Monroe only made 28 films total, & only 10 or 11 films had her in true starring roles.

If there's enough support for Ameche as SOTM, TCM may decide to make him a SOTM. :)

• Like 1

I think that Don Ameche reached the peak of his career with Heaven Can Wait. His deft, light comedy touch added immeasurably to the pleasure of this stylish Ernst Lubitsch affair. He brought charm and a physical elegance to his role, I thought, and gave an altogether winning performance.

A friend of mine watched the film this week on TCM. She had previously only seen Ameche in Cocoon, and kept repeating that she couldn't believe how good looking he was as a young man, clearly a bit taken by him.

tumblr_lxzcij6nvf1qlfrcgo1_4001_zpsqvygi

• Like 4

Ameche gets my vote, because he made around 60 films--if TCM could get rights for 25 of them, that's enough for a Star of the Month.

Monroe only made 28 films total, & only 10 or 11 films had her in true starring roles.

If there's enough support for Ameche as SOTM, TCM may decide to make him a SOTM. :)

THE MAGNIFICENT DOPE has always been a favorite of mine, quite amusing with a game cast that includes Henry Fonda, Lynn Bari, Edward Everett Horton, and the standout imho, Don Ameche. His urbane delivery of his lines as well as his impeccable timing lifted many marginal films, of which this one was not.
  • Like 1

Arturo, Maybe there is still hope for Tyrone Power and Linda Darnell to be SOTM. I am happy that Susan Hayward was chosen for September. I am participating in the Summer Into Darkness Film Noir Course. Tyrone`s best film Nightmare Alley, and Susan`s Deadline AT Dawn were both chosen to watch. I wish that the professor had selected Fallen Angel as one of the required noirs. I watched Don Ameche in Sleep My Love because I am taking the course. When Zero Hour was broadcast, I watched the movie again.

• Like 1

Once again, a problem of TCM having to get ahold of a lot of Fox films.

Well that is not insurmountable; in fact, this month TCM seems to be playing quite a few Fox films,.more so than usual. And when Linda Darnell had a SUTS day in 2011, roughly half of the titles were 20th films. I'm choosing to think that TCM is trying to get a few rarities and/ or premieres for a monthlong tribute. If only this is so.

Ameche was a consummate professional, with his sonorous yet brittle speaking voice perfect for comedy or drama. He had a long career, punctuated by a late in life return to starring roles in the 1980s. Come on TCM, you can't go wrong with the man whose name became synonymous with the telephone.

"And she put the thermometer in.... And my temperature went up to 110. :)

Love that line, love that movie.

First saw & heard it as a kid and remembered it ever since!

What a great night to watch TCM!

My favorite Ameche movies from that evening were:

So Goes My Love (1946), romantic biopic about Hiram S. Maxim, inventer of the devastating Maxim machine gun, among other things.

The Story of Alexander Graham Bell (1939), romantic biopic about the inventer of the Ameche, er telephone.

And of course, Heaven Can Wait (1943) romantic comedy fantasy about a rascally rogue who loves his wife, among many other women.

All had great support casts and were very enjoyable to watch.

Gene Tierney was absolutely beautiful, and wasn't Laird Cregar great as an amused devil?

Myrna Loy was at her charming "wifely" best, and what a wonderful opportunity to see ALL four of the stunning Young siblings in the same movie!!! 

• Like 2

"And she put the thermometer in.... And my temperature went up to 110. :)

Love that line, love that movie.

First saw & heard it as a kid and remembered it ever since!

What a great night to watch TCM!

My favorite Ameche movies from that evening were:

So Goes My Love (1946), romantic biopic about Hiram S. Maxim, inventer of the devastating Maxim machine gun, among other things.

The Story of Alexander Graham Bell (1939), romantic biopic about the inventer of the Ameche, er telephone.

And of course, Heaven Can Wait (1943) romantic comedy fantasy about a rascally rogue who loves his wife, among many other women.

All had great support casts and were very enjoyable to watch.

Gene Tierney was absolutely beautiful, and wasn't Laird Cregar great as an amused devil?

Myrna Loy was at her charming "wifely" best, and what a wonderful opportunity to see ALL four of the stunning Young siblings in the same movie!!!

One of my favorite bits in HEAVEN CAN WAIT is with Florence Bates, when she turns a calf and coyly smiles, nauseating devil Laird Cregar to open the trapdoor on her. Hilarious.

Arturo, Maybe there is still hope for Tyrone Power and Linda Darnell to be SOTM. I am happy that Susan Hayward was chosen for September. I am participating in the Summer Into Darkness Film Noir Course. Tyrone`s best film Nightmare Alley, and Susan`s Deadline AT Dawn were both chosen to watch. I wish that the professor had selected Fallen Angel as one of the required noirs. I watched Don Ameche in Sleep My Love because I am taking the course. When Zero Hour was broadcast, I watched the movie again.

She WAS chosen for September? Was this announced by someone on these boards? I was the main person pushing for Susan, and it looks like I'm the last to know about her selection.

Yes it was posted on Thursday that Susan Hayward will be the SOTM on Thursday in September.A few movies I would have liked to see were ADAM HAD FOUR SONS, AND NOW TOMORROW,and MY FOOLISH HEART.The first two titles are Paramount releases, and Susan had supporting roles. MY FOOLISH HEART earned Susan her second Oscar nomination, and it is a Sam Goldwyn picture. I am happy for and the other posters who were wishing for Susan. She was a beautiful actress and well deserving of the honor.

• Like 2

Yes it was posted on Thursday that Susan Hayward will be the SOTM on Thursday in September.A few movies I would have liked to see were ADAM HAD FOUR SONS, AND NOW TOMORROW,and MY FOOLISH HEART.The first two titles are Paramount releases, and Susan had supporting roles. MY FOOLISH HEART earned Susan her second Oscar nomination, and it is a Sam Goldwyn picture. I am happy for and the other posters who were wishing for Susan. She was a beautiful actress and well deserving of the honor.

Yes. A rare combination of great acting ability and beauty.

• Like 2

Finally, people who adore Ameche as much as I do.

I too,remember International Circus as the very first time I ever saw Ameche. I remember our family moved to Puerto Rico for a time and I saw him on tv there (dubbed) and for some reason this guy dressed in a black suit and tie and white shirt (on a B & W tv) just seemed so elegant and that mustache also hooked me.

After realizing years later that he was a famous actor I became smitten.

I have yet to watch Sleep My Love on Amazon but it's on my watchlist because I have never seen it anywhere on tv or on dvd.

Anyway that Ameche night last week was grand. So happy!

It TCM can't get more Fox films then Fox Movie Channel needs to step up.  

• Like 1

Don Ameche was a versatile performer. From April to October 1953 he was the first announcer of Eddie Fisher`s TV show Coke Time. In 1955 Don was the original Steve Canfield starring opposite Hildegarde Neff in the Cole Porter musical Silk Stockings. Fred Astaire and Cyd Chairse played the roles in the 1957 film version.

• Like 2

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings