Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who Are These Mysterious People?

misswonderly3

Who indeed? 

I'm talking about our very own TCM Message Board Moderators.

I know practically nothing about them. Does anyone?

How many are there? Do they confer with each other over message board issues? Do they ever disagree? Do they have a boss? Are they paid for what they do? And most of all,how do they decide which actions to take here, re. making admonishing comments, deleting,locking, assigning warning points, etc.

Do they love movies,or could they be just anybody, maybe some of them don't even watch TCM themselves(seems unlikely, though, that they wouldn't.)

Oh, there is one I know of,, also a long-time poster here. She helped me recently with a sign-in problem I was having, and very helpful she was,too.  Thanks again to her !

But for the  rest of them, I know practically nothing .  And yet they have so much power here !  This is not a criticism, nor is it a "suck-up". It's neither. I just think they're a mysterious bunch.

• Like 4

Perhaps the character actor JOHN McGIVER (1913-1975) has been resurrected?  He was a teacher in the NYC public school system for a while before he became a full time actor wasn't he?   

LOOOONE-SOME!  I've prayed in the streets . . . I've prayed in the toilets!  :P

Well, there's Wanda. She's been here what.. maybe 2 years now? Very nice.

Donald was a carry-over from the old boards.

We don't hear from him much anymore, but he still has a hand.

Autumn. Autumn is a relative newcomer. He's not adjusted yet.

Matthew, Kenneth and Dooley hold the high cards but leave the day to day stuff to others.

• Like 2

Well, there's Wanda. She's been here what.. maybe 2 years now? Very nice.

Donald was a carry-over from the old boards.
We don't hear from him much anymore, but he still has a hand.

Autumn. Autumn is a relative newcomer. He's not adjusted yet.

Matthew, Kenneth and Dooley hold the high cards but leave the day to day stuff to others.

Wow, Kidd, how do you know this stuff?

I'm not so sure he does.   But every time he does that I bust a gut. :lol:

Apologies to the Kidd if I am misunderstanding things here.

• Like 1

This is not just a "frivolous" thread.  I genuinely would like to know the answers to some of the questions I asked in the original post.

Kid, were you, uh, kidding in your post here? Didn't sound like it -but maybe something just went over my head.

Kidding or not, am I the only one who's curious about the moderators on this site?

Most of all, I'd like to know how they arrive at the decisions they make.

Again, I'm not trying to be either flippant or provocative. I'd honestly like to know this stuff.

I'm not so sure he does.   But every time he does that I bust a gut. :lol:

Apologies to the Kidd if I am misunderstanding things here.

MovieCollector alludes too Kidd just making up those names for levity. I think. I hope ykw doesn't read this, ooo hissy fit galore. Levity, you know.

• Like 1

I'm curious about this, too, MissWonderly.

Do they read everything on the Boards, I wonder, or just the posts that are reported?  Do they have a sense of history of the Boards and the posters?  Are they employed by TCM?   Free lancers? Do they work from home or go to an office?  Can they determine if spam is coming from a banned or current poster? 

I somehow suspect we'll never know. :unsure:

My guess the Moderator is an employee of Turner Broadcasting judging by the Privacy Policy statement.....

Thank you for visiting www.tcm.com , a site presented to you by Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. ("Turner", “we” or “us”). Your privacy is important to us. As such, we provide this privacy statement explaining our online information practices and the choices you can make about the way your information is collected and used at this general audience Turner site, and among Turner’s network of affiliated and operated websites and applications ("Turner Network"), which includes any online or mobile sites, applications or services owned, operated or offered by or on behalf of Turner or its Affiliates (each a “Site”, collectively the “Sites”). A representative list of Turner Affiliates is available here.

I'm curious about this, too, MissWonderly.

Do they read everything on the Boards, I wonder, or just the posts that are reported?  Do they have a sense of history of the Boards and the posters?  Are they employed by TCM?   Free lancers? Do they work from home or go to an office?  Can they determine if spam is coming from a banned or current poster? 

I somehow suspect we'll never know. :unsure:

Gosh Gay, what great questions! Have you thought about being a detective? If I ever commit a crime I sure hope they don't put you on the case.

Edited to add missing word 'don't' in the original posting.

Edited by laffite

Who indeed? 

I'm talking about our very own TCM Message Board Moderators.

I know practically nothing about them. Does anyone?

How many are there? Do they confer with each other over message board issues? Do they ever disagree? Do they have a boss? Are they paid for what they do? And most of all,how do they decide which actions to take here, re. making admonishing comments, deleting,locking, assigning warning points, etc.

Do they love movies,or could they be just anybody, maybe some of them don't even watch TCM themselves(seems unlikely, though, that they wouldn't.)

Oh, there is one I know of,, also a long-time poster here. She helped me recently with a sign-in problem I was having, and very helpful she was,too.  Thanks again to her !

But for the  rest of them, I know practically nothing .  And yet they have so much power here !  This is not a criticism, nor is it a "suck-up". It's neither. I just think they're a mysterious bunch.

When the new boards were announced (just before the old version of the new boards went down for the upgrade) the name of the company operating and maintaining the new boards was given. I don't recall the name, but maybe it's avaialble somewhere on the boards.

I presume the moderators work for that company either as employees or contractors.

• 1 month later...

Our good friend Dargo has just (unintentionally) reminded me of this thread.

To be honest, I was a bit surprised it didn't fly.After all, many people here have opinions about the moderating on this site.

Now, I have a question for Moderator 1:

Why do you say we're not allowed to comment or speculate on what the moderators do? And why do  you edit and/or delete so many threads and posts? Usually without an explanation.

I'm not criticizing-oh, damn, maybe I am - but mostly I'm genuinely curious. Inquiring minds want to know.

ps: Oh, and  also, do  you look  like this?

grumpy_woman.jpg

This is what happened before.  Crickets.

I wouldn't care, except I know for a fact that many posters here do wonder how the moderators make their decisions.

Is it really that boring a topic  (don't answer that !)  or are people just afraid they'll get in trouble if they comment on the moderating?

This is what happened before.  Crickets.

I wouldn't care, except I know for a fact that many posters here do wonder how the moderators make their decisions.

Is it really that boring a topic  (don't answer that !)  or are people just afraid they'll get in trouble if they comment on the moderating?

It's because there's nothing to be gained. No answers will be coming forth.

Well, in MY case, I'm just waitin' around here to see if any of the moderators actually FESS UP to lookin' like that sourpuss I said I envisioned them lookin' like here, MissW! ;)

(...and so in the meantime, how about a little Gin Rummy???) 

LOL

Well, in MY case, I'm just waitin' around here to see if any of the moderators actually FESS UP to lookin' like that sourpuss I said I envisioned them lookin' like here, MissW! ;)

(...and so in the meantime, how about a little Gin Rummy???) 

LOL

Darg, baby, I could pretend I knew what you meant by "Gin Rummy", or I could come clean and admit that I've no idea. Please 'splain.  (although I know it always wrecks a joke a bit to 'splain it...)

If Moderator 1 doesn't like the pic you've selected for them, we could always go with this one. Kids too get grouchy.

CrankyPants.jpg

Apolgies if this has already been mentioned: Go to the lower left of the Boards screen, you'll see a link called "The Moderating Team." Most are named administrators; lzcutter is named a moderator.\\

Here's the link:

http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=stats&do=leaders

Swithin, that's great ! Thanks  so much for that link. I had no idea we could access that information.

Darg, baby, I could pretend I knew what you meant by "Gin Rummy", or I could come clean and admit that I've no idea. Please 'splain.  (although I know it always wrecks a joke a bit to 'splain it...)

If ya have about an hour and a half of free time MissW, how about if I let Hume and Jessica here 'splain it all to ya?!...

;)

If ya have about an hour and a half of free time MissW, how about if I let Hume and Jessica here 'splain it all to ya?!...

Never seen it, but now I want to (But I don't enjoy watching movies on the computer. Maybe I'll check and see if TCM's airing it anytime soon.)

Now if we could just find out where to send the Christmas cards.

1050 Techwood Dr. NW

Atlanta, GA 30318

(...and btw, all fruit cakes will automatically be returned to sender once received)

I was thinking more of their home addresses. Sending cards to where they might work is so impersonal.

That could be tough, dark.

I would think your only hope of attaining the personal home addresses of any of these moderators would be if say some of 'em would tick off Donald Trump somehow by this coming festive season.

(...'cause evidently he's real good at supplying this sort of information to the general public once his cage is rattled!!!)

LOL

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings