Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Love the ping pong of this podcast.

Just a side note; Chandler's character, Marlowe is orginally the first African American detective in LA according to Louise Ransil:

"Louise Ransil, a historian and former studio executive, has claimed that the character of Philip Marlowe, as well as Dashiell Hammett's Sam Spade, were inspired by a previously unknown black detective who investigated society murders and runaway stars in 1930s Los Angeles.[4] This man with the name of "Samuel Marlowe" allegedly was the first black private detective licensed by the city of Los Angeles.[4"

But Chandler was said[3] to have taken the name Marlowe from Marlowe House, to which he belonged during his time at Dulwich College. Marlowe House was named for Christopher Marlowe, a hard-drinking Elizabethan writer who graduated in philosophy and worked secretly for the government.

Interesting.

• Like 1

Love the ping pong of this podcast.

Just a side note; Chandler's character, Marlowe is orginally the first African American detective in LA according to Louise Ransil:

"Louise Ransil, a historian and former studio executive, has claimed that the character of Philip Marlowe, as well as Dashiell Hammett's Sam Spade, were inspired by a previously unknown black detective who investigated society murders and runaway stars in 1930s Los Angeles.[4] This man with the name of "Samuel Marlowe" allegedly was the first black private detective licensed by the city of Los Angeles.[4"

But Chandler was said[3] to have taken the name Marlowe from Marlowe House, to which he belonged during his time at Dulwich College. Marlowe House was named for Christopher Marlowe, a hard-drinking Elizabethan writer who graduated in philosophy and worked secretly for the government.

Interesting.

Yes, very interesting. I wonder if Easy Rawlins, Walter Mosely's fictional character, is based on Samuel Marlowe. I tried a little bit of research on this topic, but nothing came up. Anybody have any information?

• Like 1

Yes, very interesting. I wonder if Easy Rawlins, Walter Mosely's fictional character, is based on Samuel Marlowe. I tried a little bit of research on this topic, but nothing came up. Anybody have any information?

This is a possibility, but I too must do a little off internet research. It seems that Easy Rawlins, Walter Mosely's fictional character is Louisianan born and Texas bred. Easy also deals with the african american aspect...perhaps an evolution of Chandler's 'Marlowe.'

I enjoyed the podcast. I especially appreciated the difference in opinions that stemmed from (I think) a devotion to the original source material vs a devotion to the film itself. This gave me a lot to contemplate when I watch it again. But, and I can't stress this enough, I strongly disagree that Powell's performance is anything other than exceptional. Love him in this movie! For me, he is the best Marlowe. I do confess that I have never seen any of his song-and-dance films. So I had no expectation of him going into the picture. I've only seen him in this, Cornered, The Bad and the Beautiful, and Christmas in July ... He seemed so natural in the role, to me.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings