Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Death Takes No Holiday -- The Obituary Thread

Richard Kimble

4 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Ocean's Eleven actor Henry Silva dies age 95: Johnny Cool star passes away after starring in 130 Hollywood films over the course of 50 years

62504839-0-image-a-24_1663406292099.jpg

Henry Silva sadly passed away at age 95 on Wednesday in Los Angeles. The New York-born actor died of natural causes.

He could play a lean, mean, immersive son of a gun. Not in diction or speech; but there was something about his persona - perhaps the way he carried himself; that has reminded me of Christopher Walken on more than one occasion 

I didn't see it mentioned on this thread -- may be I missed it -- but actor JACK GING died Sept. 9th at age 90 at his home in La Quinta, CA.   The Wikipedia index said Ging retired from acting in 1994.  I wonder what he did after that?  He'd been fairly busy from the late '50s onward thru the early '90s . . . and then nothing. 

I noted MARK MILLER also died recently at age 97.  I've seen a couple of '70s movies with him prominently featured:  GINGER IN THE MORNING •and• DIXIE DYNAMITE.   

• Thanks 2

On 9/17/2022 at 7:46 AM, Bogie56 said:

Ocean's Eleven actor Henry Silva dies age 95: Johnny Cool star passes away after starring in 130 Hollywood films over the course of 50 years

62504839-0-image-a-24_1663406292099.jpg

Henry Silva sadly passed away at age 95 on Wednesday in Los Angeles. The New York-born actor died of natural causes.

Wow. Sad news. He appeared in so many films and tv shows over the years.

• Haha 1

On 9/19/2022 at 1:28 AM, Mr. Gorman said:

I didn't see it mentioned on this thread -- may be I missed it -- but actor JACK GING died Sept. 9th at age 90 at his home in La Quinta, CA.   The Wikipedia index said Ging retired from acting in 1994.  I wonder what he did after that?  He'd been fairly busy from the late '50s onward thru the early '90s . . . and then nothing. 

I noted MARK MILLER also died recently at age 97.  I've seen a couple of '70s movies with him prominently featured:  GINGER IN THE MORNING •and• DIXIE DYNAMITE.   

He was also in some tv series.

• Like 1

I noted British-born actress and photo model VENETIA STEVENSON died yesterday in Atlanta.  She was 84 and had suffered from Parkinson's Disease.

TCM has shown the 1960 UK movie CITY OF THE DEAD (aka:  "Horror Hotel") before which she prominently featured in.  She apparently didn't like acting all that much and retired from acting while still in her 20s. 

ALSO:  If you've seen the 1983 comedy HYSTERICAL  you'll note one of the main characters (played by Julie Newmar) is named 'Venetia'.   That's not a coincidence. 

6 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

I noted British-born actress and photo model VENETIA STEVENSON died yesterday in Atlanta.  She was 84 and had suffered from Parkinson's Disease.

TCM has shown the 1960 UK movie CITY OF THE DEAD (aka:  "Horror Hotel") before which she prominently featured in.  She apparently didn't like acting all that much and retired from acting while still in her 20s. 

ALSO:  If you've seen the 1983 comedy HYSTERICAL  you'll note one of the main characters (played by Julie Newmar) is named 'Venetia'.   That's not a coincidence. 

she sounded pretty american in City of the Dead. she hung around too long for Mrs. Newliss' liking.

:)

• Like 3

6 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

she sounded pretty american in City of the Dead. she hung around too long for Mrs. Newliss' liking.

:)

Nip--When I was in grade school I used to watch her on "Sugarfoot" with the very cute Will Hutchins. She came over here with her mother and/or father, when she was young. Her parents were divorced, but spent their lives working in Hollywood.

Her dad was Robert Stevenson, the Disney director of "Old Yeller and "The Absent-Minded Professor". And mom was Anna Lee--Bette Davis' nice, but nosy neighbor in "What Ever Happened to Baby Jane" and the matriarch of "General Hospital". You might say Venetia was born into Show Business.

Loretta Lynn dies at age 90: The country singer behind the hit singles Coal Miner's Daughter and You Ain't Woman Enough passes away at home in Tennessee

Loretta Lynn dies at age 90: Country singer behind Coal Miner's Daughter

Loretta Lynn, the Kentucky coal miner's daughter whose frank songs about life and love as a woman in Appalachia pulled her out of poverty and made her a pillar of country music, has died. She was 90. In a statement provided to The Associated Press, Lynn's family said she died Tuesday at her home in Hurricane Mills, Tennessee. Lynn already had four children before launching her career in the early 1960s, and her songs reflected her pride in her rural Kentucky background. Her biggest hits came in the 1960s and '70s, including 'Coal Mine's Daughter,' 'You Ain't Woman Enough,' 'The Pill,' 'Don't Come Home a Drinkin' (With Lovin' on Your Mind),' 'Rated X' and 'You're Looking at Country.'

• Thanks 4

Charles Fuller, Pulitzer-winning playwright of 'A Soldier's Play,' dies at 83

In 1982, the play won the Pulitzer Prize for Drama and earned Fuller a $1,000 prize. He was only the second Black playwright to receive the drama prize, the New York Times reported in 2020.

"A Soldier's Play" was adapted for the screen in 1984, its title changed to "A Soldier's Story," and was nominated for three Oscars: best picture, best adapted screenplay for Fuller and best supporting actor for fellow NEC collaborator Adolph Caesar.

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/charles-fuller-playwright-death-cec/index.html

• Thanks 4

© 2022 Turner Classic Movies Inc. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings