Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Richard Kimble

Death Takes No Holiday -- The Obituary Thread

Actress Michèle Morgan, a leading actress of American and European cinema for three decades, died in Paris on Tuesday. She was 96.

After working as an extra in several films in the mid-'30s, Morgan shot to stardom in 1938 with a role opposite Jean Gabin in LE QUAI DES BRUMES, directed by Marcel Carné. Following the Nazi occupation of France, Morgan fled to Hollywood where she was swiftly signed to a contract at RKO. She subsequently starred opposite Paul Henreid in JOAN OF PARIS, Frank Sinatra in HIGHER AND HIGHER, and Humphrey Bogart in PASSAGE TO MARSEILLE.

When the war ended in Europe, Morgan returned to France, earning critical praise for her work in such films as LA SYMPHONIE PASTORALE and Carol Reed's THE FALLEN IDOL. Though she continued working through the end of the 1960s, most notably in the war film LOST COMMAND opposite Anthony Quinn, Morgan largely retired from acting after 1970.

382800.jpg

Le Monde remembers Michèle Morgan here: http://www.lemonde.fr/disparitions/article/2016/12/20/mort-de-l-actrice-michele-morgan-rendue-celebre-par-son-role-dans-le-quai-des-brumes_5052118_3382.html

• Like 2

OMG!!! I didnt realize she was still alive. Amazing.

DIdnt she appear in the French film, Cat and Mouse in the 70s???

Danielle Darrieux, however, is still alive, and has about 4-1/2 months to go until she turns 100.

• Like 1

Actress Michèle Morgan, a leading actress of American and European cinema for three decades, died in Paris on Tuesday. She was 96.

Wikipedia:

"She was tested and strongly considered for the female lead in Casablanca but RKO would not release her for the amount of money that Warner Bros. offered"

• Like 2

Danielle Darrieux, however, is still alive, and has about 4-1/2 months to go until she turns 100.

WOW.

WOW

Danielle, Good Lord willin', will make it to 100. Zsa Zsa came oh so close. Kirk and Olivia made it, and as cited in the thread Lupita Tovar and ER Braithwaite got there.

I remember when I was a kid Adolph Zukor was still alive -- he lived to be 103. It seemed so amazing at the time. No, if not quite routine, it's far from unknown.

Happy to know  she is remembered on these boards,she was on French tv 2 years ago,i suggested her name a few times for aTCM interview,she speaks perfect English,she worked several years in Hollywood in the late 30's-40's,her souvenirs  could have been interesting,i wish TCM would go to France to do interviews,like last year i suggested Michele Morgan and Danielle Darrieux,so sorry the Morgan interview will never happen,she was a very articulate,brilliant lady.

Susan Cummings, at age 91, on Dec. 3, 2016 in Chandler Arizona.

German-born American television guest actress primarily during the mid-'50s to the mid-'60s, and with a filmography primarily consisting of minor roles in about a dozen feature length films during the same period.

However, the attractive Miss Cummings will forever be remembered for uttering those classic lines in one particularly memorable episode of the TV series The Twilight Zone...

96cf5419655e4808d37eee77392a131f.jpg

"Mr. Chambers! Mr. Chambers! Don't get on that ship! To Serve Man...it's, it's a COOKBOOK!"

• Like 4

Good find there, Doc.

Wish I would've thought to find and use a gif like that instead. I have to admit it's much more effective.

(...wasn't Susan a little cutie?!)

The singer-dancer-actress Fran Jeffries, who provided some memorable non-comedic moments to Blake Edwards' 1963 hit film "The Pink Panther," has died at the age of 79. She succumbed to cancer on Thursday, December 15, 2016.

In "The Pink Panther," the glamorous Jeffries performed the song "Meglio stasera (It Had Better Be Tonight)" during a scene at an Italian ski resort. Also appearing in the segment were the movie's stars: Peter Sellers, David Niven, Robert Wagner and Capucine.

The song was written for the film by Henry Mancini with Italian lyrics by Franco Migliacci and English lyrics by Johnny Mercer.

Jeffries, who married three times, was wed to her sometime singing partner Dick Haymes from 1958 to 1965 and to the actor-turned-director Richard Quine from 1965 to 1969. Her third husband, Steven Schaeffer, was a musician to whom she was married from 1971 to 1973.

Her daughter by Haymes, Stephanie Haymes Roven, is married to the film producer Charles Roven ("Batman Begins," "The Dark Knight," "The Dark Knight Rises").

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/20/movies/fran-jeffries-an-actress-who-performed-a-sexy-samba-in-the-pink-panther-dies-at-79.html?_r=0

• Like 3

Yes, that was a steamy number in that film. Sorry to hear about her.

I just saw this year's "In Remembrance" tribute.  Zsa Zsa  Gabor was included so maybe they can fit in these latest losses as there are spots where they can if they choose.  This one was very beautifully done.

I watched it again and just realized how many of this year's departed were directors; hopefully there are still some left.  It's strange how this happens; actors or others famous for their work on the same film, series or at the same studio will die fairly close together and you wonder how it happened.  Again, this was one of the best-done tributes; as there have been no criticisms so far I must be in the majority on this view. 

• Like 1

Spanish art director and production designer Gil Parrondo died Saturday in Madrid. He was 95. In a career which spanned several decades, Parrondo won two back-to-back Oscars for Best Art Direction, for his work on PATTON (1970) and NICHOLAS AND ALEXANDRA (1971). He was nominated a third year in a row, but did not win, for TRAVELS WITH MY AUNT (1972, airing December 27 at 2:00AM on TCM).

Andrew Sachs (1930-2016) best known as Manuel in Fawlty Towers has died at the age of 86.

andrew-sachs1.jpg?w=446&h=299&crop=1

"Que?"

He was such a gem in Fawlty Towers.

• Like 1

http://www.playbill.com/article/american-actor-george-s-irving-dies

Actor George S. Irving, a Tony winner in 1973 for Best Featured Actor in a Musical in Irene opposite Debbie Reynolds, died December 26.

PdTPxiN.png

Born George Irving Shelasky November 1, 1922, in Springfield, Massachusetts, he grew up singing at neighborhood synagogues and churches. In 1942 he was cast in the chorus at the MUNY in St. Louis, and made his Broadway debut in 1943 in Oklahoma!. With 32 Broadway credits, Irving performed in such classics as Gentleman Prefer Blondes, Can-Can, Bells Are Ringing, the 1981 revival of The Pirates of Penzance, and Me and My Girl, for which he earned a Tony nomination. He was last seen on a Broadway stage for the one-night-only benefit performance A Wonderful Life for The Actors’ Fund.

Irving performed his solo show at Feinstein’s in New York City in 2008 to raves, and later that year received the 17th Oscar Hammerstein Award for Lifetime Achievement in Musical Theatre. Playbill spoke to him just last year about his star turn in Project Shaw's A Chekhov and Shaw Comedy Night.

The actor also worked in television, most known as a recurring guest star on All in the Family, playing Russ DeKuyper. He also appeared on the 1976 sitcom The Dumplings and did commercials for White Owl cigars. Irving was a noted voice actor, having provided the sound for Heat Miser in the animated holiday special The Year Without a Santa Claus and also as Mister Gepetto in Pinocchio’s Christmas.

• Like 2

The hits just keep on coming

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Barbara Tarbuck, a stage and screen actress who played Jane Jacks on "General Hospital" and Mother Superior Claudia on "American Horror Story: Asylum," has died. She was 74.

Tarbuck died Monday at her Los Angeles home, said her daughter, producer Jennifer Lane Connolly.

Tarbuck suffered from Creutzfeldt-Jakob disorder, a rare, degenerative brain disease, Connolly said Thursday.

Tarbuck was especially proud of her regional and New York theater work, her daughter said, including a role in the original 1980s Broadway production of Neil Simon's "Brighton Beach Memoirs." Other stage credits included Harold Pinter's "Landscape and Silence."

Tarbuck's films included "Big Trouble" (1986) from director John Cassavetes; "Curly Sue" (1991); and "Walking Tall" (2004).

Besides her work on "General Hospital" over more than a decade, she appeared in dozens of prime-time series including "Dallas," ''Cagney & Lacey," ''The Golden Girls," and "Mad Men."

I have belatedly learned of the death of actor Charles Briles at age 70. 

Briles is best remembered as Eugene, the fourth Barkley brother on The Big Valley. Briles was drafted shortly after production began and was written out of the series.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/charles-briles-dead-big-valley-907877

PIYzmG3.jpg

PvwSn3A.jpg

Ah yes. One of the original victims of the "Chuck Cunningham Syndrome".

(...now I remember him)

• Like 1

Watching the NBC News 2016 Obituary today I just realized something--

Both Abe Vigoda and Ron Glass of Barney Miller died this year and I wasn't quite aware of that before. I've been watching the show in reruns and I've always enjoyed the ensemble cast. Those two were outstanding.

But my all-time favorite had to be Jack Soo. Not just because he was the funniest but also because he was a memorable song and dance man in The Flower Drum Song. Jack Soo co-starred in the original Broadway show as well as the movie. What a guy.

• Like 1

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/beatles-first-manager-original-jacaranda-12388312

Allan Williams, The Beatles’ first manager, has died aged 86

In 1958 Williams leased a former watch-repair shop at 21 Slater Street, which he converted into a coffee bar. He named the venue the Jacaranda, after an exotic species of ornamental flowering tree.

The Jac opened in September 1958 and The Beatles were frequent customers, with John Lennon and Stuart Sutcliffe attending Liverpool Art College nearby and Paul McCartney being at Liverpool Institute.

Asking for the chance to play the club, Williams made them redecorate. Lennon and Sutcliffe had to paint a mural for the ladies room, before playing gigs there between May and August 1960.

Williams didn't hold onto The Beatles and saw them guided to multimillionaire fame by Brian Epstein. The story goes that when Williams signed copies of his memoirs, he would often write: "Allan Williams -- I should have known better"

:lol:

Alan Williams, wife Beryl, Liverpool entertainer Lord Woodbine, Stuart Sutcliffe, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, and Pete Best, 1961 (John Lennon took the picture). The inscription reads: "Their names liveth for evermore"

lWzMbDg.jpg

• Like 2

I thought I might play this in honour of of the 64 musicians from the Russian Military choir who tragically lost their lives in a plane crash on Dec 27.  No disrespect, just good fun

• Like 2

I thought I might play this in honour of of the 64 musicians from the Russian Military choir who tragically lost their lives in a plane crash on Dec 27.  No disrespect, just good fun

I thank you very much for posting of this. I feel that your selection respects their memory well as they sought to bring humor and joy to all. I had the great joy and privilege to attend several of their concerts. To say that they were awesome and amazing is faint praise.

One of my favorites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_Qzv6hl87U

I am sorry to say that I can not find a: YouTube video with English subtitles of them performing this song. Here is a reasonable translation:

Pidmanula Pidvela (You Tricked Me)

You have told me that on Monday
We'll gather periwinkles together
I've come, and there you aren't,
You tricked me and let me down

Chorus:
You tricked me,
You let me down,
You're making me, a young man,
Lose my mind.

You have told me that on Tuesday
You will kiss me forty times

(chorus)

You have told me that on Wednesday
We'll wrangle up the cattle together

(chorus)

You have told me that on Thursday
We'll go to the concert together

(chorus)

You have told me that on Friday
We'll gather strawberries together

(chorus)

You have told me that on Saturday
We'll go to work together

(chorus)

You have told me that on Sunday
We'll go to the wedding together

(chorus)

They performed many such folk songs and ballads which are widely loved. Their performances of: Katyusha and: Kalinka were exceptional. 

You may find many songs which are great fun by entering: "Chór Aleksandrowa" in: Search box on: YouTube.
  • Like 1