Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Richard Kimble

Death Takes No Holiday -- The Obituary Thread

John G. Avildsen, who won an Oscar for directing the 1976 classic ROCKY, has died in Los Angeles after a battle with pancreatic cancer. He was 81.

Avildsen's other noteworthy films include THE KARATE KID (1984), SAVE THE TIGER (1973), for which Jack Lemmon won his only Best Actor Oscar, and my particular favorite, JOE (1970), which shot Peter Boyle to fame in the story of a racist factory worker who combats the counterculture of the late '60s. Avildsen's other credits include LEAN ON ME (1989), with Morgan Freeman, and the genuinely offbeat 1981 comedy NEIGHBORS, with John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd. 

The Los Angeles Times remembers John Avildsen here: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-me-john-avildsen-obituary-20170616-story.html

• Like 1

Stephen Furst (1955-2017) - Character actor, writer and director Stephen Furst has died. He's probably still best remembered for his role as Flounder in 1978's National Lampoon's Animal House. He appeared in other comedies of the period, including 1979's Scavenger Hunt and 1980's Midnight Madness. He co-starred on TV's acclaimed St. Elsewhere from 1983-1988, and the cult favorite science fiction series Babylon 5 from 1994-1998. He later segued into writing and directing B-movies. He also spent a lot of time as a spokesman and fundraiser for the American Diabetes Association and the American Heart Association.

I got to spend about a hour with him around 12 years ago at a science fiction convention. He sat with me and a friend and we talked about the TV movies he was directing and some stories about working on St. Elsewhere. He was a very friendly, personable guy.

b21e223128e4b8a939423627e51b44ae.jpg

animal-house-kevin-bacon.jpg

• Like 6

Sad news! I always crack up at the "Animal House" scene when the Delta fraternity brothers see Dorfman's photo for the first time.

• Like 1

BILL DANA}  Comedy's "Jose Jimenez"  has left us today ay age 92.  I'm posting the Wki link about him.  Aftera all, I'm NOT Jakeem.  ;)

My wife and her familay LOVED the Jimenez character, and thought Dana did it so well they were surprised to learn he WASN'T Mexican.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Dana

Sepiatone

• Like 2

BILL DANA}  Comedy's "Jose Jimenez"  has left us today ay age 92.  I'm posting the Wki link about him.  Aftera all, I'm NOT Jakeem.  ;)

My wife and her familay LOVED the Jimenez character, and thought Dana did it so well they were surprised to learn he WASN'T Mexican.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Dana

Sepiatone

I liked him too. He couldn't do that act today. Somebody would be offended.

• Like 1

In Philip Kaufman's 1983 film version of "The Right Stuff," Alan Shepard (Scott Glenn) is obsessed with Bill Dana's Jose-as-astronaut routine.

0.jpg

It eventually gets him into trouble during astronaut testing when he needs assistance from an oversized orderly named Gonzalez (played by Pro Football Hall of Famer Anthony Muñoz). 

right-stuff-movie-review-alan-shepard-sc

• Like 1

One of my favorites was always...

"So Mr. Jimenez, tell us. Want line of work are you in?"

-"I run a deep sea diving school"

"And where is your deep sea diving school, Mr. Jimenez?"

-"Phoenix, Arizona."

(...R.I.P., Mr. Dana, and thanks for the laughs)

• Like 2

From 1963 to 1965, Dana starred as Jose in "The Bill Dana Show," which was an NBC spinoff of "The Danny Thomas Show." He played a bellboy at a New York hotel. His co-stars included Don Adams, Jonathan Harris and Gary Crosby.

Season 1 earned a Primetime Emmy nomination for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Comedy.

Michael Nyqvist (1960-2017) - Swedish actor who came to international attention after playing Mikael Blomkvist in the Swedish TV adaptations of the Millennium Trilogy: The Girl with the Dragon TattooThe Girl Who Played with Fire, and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. Nyqvist had been acting since the early 1980's, and had a big hit in Sweden with 2000's Together. His notices from the Millennium Trilogy brought him to the US, where he was cast as the main villains in hit films like 2011's Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol and 2014's John Wick. Nyqvist died after a brief battle with lung cancer.

1463485152931_0570x0400_1463485196820.jp

232da2b611e0f84ce42fa9ef221d16e6.jpg

• Like 2

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-40468411

Film critic Barry Norman has died aged 83, his family says.

The journalist and former BBC presenter died in his sleep on Friday night.

A statement from his daughters, Samantha and Emma, called him "remarkable", adding: "He had a great life, a wonderful marriage and an enviable career."

Norman hosted BBC One's "Film…" show between 1972 and 1998 - its longest running host - as well as writing for the Daily Mail and the Guardian.

His literary agent described him as "the defining voice of film criticism and insightful interviewing of screen legends from both sides of the camera".

===

Barry Norman was born in London on 21 August 1933 to film director Leslie Norman and his wife, Elizabeth.

He went to Highgate School in north London, but skipped university, instead beginning his writing career at the Kensington News.

Norman's journalism took him to South Africa to work on two newspapers, but it was when he came back to the UK that his entertainment career took off - becoming showbiz editor at the Daily Mail.

It was during his Fleet Street years that he met his wife Diana - a journalist and the author of best-selling thrillers under her pen name Ariana Franklin - and they wed in 1957.

The couple had two daughters and were married for more than 50 years, until her death in 2011.

Norman became best known as the presenter of the "Film..." programme, which he hosted on BBC One for 26 years, before he left the channel to move to Sky.

His notoriety was solidified when he became a puppet on Spitting Image, which created a catchphrase for him - "And why not?" - that he later adopted himself and which became the title of his autobiography.

He also wrote documentaries on the entertainment industry, wrote columns for the Guardian and the Radio Times, and was the first host of BBC Radio 4's The News Quiz - as well as being a presenter on the Today programme.

BBC director general Tony Hall described Norman as a "first-class presenter and critic".

He added: "Film buffs always found his programmes essential viewing. He dominated broadcasting about films for a generation with wit and great knowledge. He will be greatly missed and our thoughts are with his family and friends."

• Like 1

Skippy Homeier, 1930-2017

Skip Homeier, who started his career as a little Nazi in an American family in Tomorrow, the World!, died June 25 at the age of 86. Homeier had a career spanning nearly 40 years on film and TV, perhaps most memorably as Dr. Sevrin in the "Way to Eden" episode of the original Star Trek series.

• Like 2

Skip Homeier, who started his career as a little Nazi in an American family in Tomorrow, the World!, died June 25 at the age of 86. Homeier had a career spanning nearly 40 years on film and TV, perhaps most memorably as Dr. Sevrin in the "Way to Eden" episode of the original Star Trek series.

I hadn't seen Skip Homeier in years--but a couple of nights ago I saw him in a Perry Mason on Me-TV.

He had a TV show in the 1960s that I watched a couple of times on NBC called Dan Raven.

And I remember seeing him in the all-star cast of the movie Black Widow, starring Ginger Rogers.

He also portrayed a Nazi in the Star Trek episode "Patterns of Force."

When I think of Homeier, it's for his performance in "The Gunfighter" (1950), when his character tries to take on the legendary gunslinger Jimmy Ringo (Gregory Peck) -- but falls for the old gun-underneath-the-table trick.

It's all in a day's work for Ringo. As he said to another would-be challenger earlier: "How come I gotta run into a squirt like you nearly every place I go these days? What are you tryin' to do? Show off for your friends?" 

the-gunfighter-gregory-peck-karl-malden-

I hadn't seen Skip Homeier in years--but a couple of nights ago I saw him in a Perry Mason on Me-TV.

He had a TV show in the 1960s that I watched a couple of times on NBC called Dan Raven.

And I remember seeing him in the all-star cast of the movie Black Widow, starring Ginger Rogers.

Sorry to hear this. Yes, he pops up a lot in 50s/60s tv shows in reruns.

Ji-Tu Cumbuka (1940-2017) - Imposing character actor best known for his roles in Roots (1977), Change of Habit (1969), Blacula (1973), Mandingo (1975), Bound for Glory (1976), Brewster's Millions (1985), and Volunteers (1986). In all, he amassed over 80 film and television credits in a nearly 40 year career.

3960-20704.gif

400full-ji--tu-cumbuka.jpg

Ji-Tu-Cumbuka.jpg

Ji-Tu Cumbuka (1940-2017) - Imposing character actor best known for his roles in Roots (1977), Change of Habit (1969), Blacula (1973), Mandingo (1975), Bound for Glory (1976), Brewster's Millions (1985), and Volunteers (1986). In all, he amassed over 80 film and television credits in a nearly 40 year career.

He had a recurring role in the short-lived tv series "A Man Called Sloane," starring Robert Conrad. He had a metal hand, or arm, which he used as various tools, something like that. I recall a critic describing the character as a "walking cuisinart."

51tAaSe6WEL._SX385_.jpg

Joan Lee, the wife of 70 years to Marvel Comics legend Stan Lee, has died at the age of 93, after suffering a stroke earlier this week. 

Mrs. Lee was credited by her husband with inspiring him to create the Fantastic Four. Lee also occasionally worked later in life as an actress, providing voices on the 1990s Marvel-produced animated TV series Fantastic Four and Spider-Man. Lee also had a bit part in the 2016 Marvel big screen production of X-Men: Apocalypse

Joan Lee is survived by her 95-year-old husband and their daughter. 

The Wrap remembers Joan Lee here: http://www.thewrap.com/joan-lee-wife-of-stan-lee-dies-at-93/

780w-463h_052316_23-questions-with-stan-

Joan-Clayton-pics.jpg

• Like 1

Joe Robinson (1927-2017) - English actor, stuntman, and one-time champion wrestler. He made his film debut in 1955's A Kid for Two Farthings where he wrestled with Primo Carnera. He was also in The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner (1962), and headed to Italy during the boom in muscle-man "swords 'n' sandals" movies, where he starred in Thor and the Amazon Women (1963). He worked as a stuntman in many of the early era James Bond movies, and had a featured role, featuring a terrific elevator fight with Sean Connery, in 1971's Diamonds Are Forever. Robinson was skilled in judo and karate, and retired from the screen to open a martial arts school. He was in the news in 1998 when, at the age of 70, he was attacked by 8 muggers armed with bats and knives, and yet Robinson still beat them all.

YooniqImages_102377523.jpg

26256.gif

joe-robinson.jpg

• Like 3

Nelsan Ellis (1977-2017) - Multi-talented actor and playwright who came to prominence with his role as Lafayette Reynolds on HBO's True Blood. He appeared in many films, such as The Soloist (2009), Secretariat (2010), The Help (2011), Get On Up (2014), and as Martin Luther King Jr. in Lee Daniels' The Butler (2013). He recently ended a season-long story arc on CBS's Elementary. Ellis died of heart failure at age 39, much too soon.

0xpx4p3I.jpg

TrueBlood_NelsanEllis.jpg

Elementary_Welcome_Shinwell_946291_1296_

• Like 1

Elsa Martinelli (January 30, 1935-July 8, 2017)

elsa-martinelli.jpg?w=450

The 82-year-old model-turned-actress died today in Rome. She became known to North American audiences with her breakout role in the Kirk Douglas vehicle THE INDIAN FIGHTER (1955), a year after a role in THE RED AND THE BLACK (1954) caught the eye of European audiences. She subsequently appeared opposite John Wayne in HATARI! (1962), Orson Welles in THE V.I.P.s (1963) and Dustin Hoffman in MADIGAN's MILLIONS (1968).

Via: http://people.com/movies/elsa-martinelli-dead-italian-actress-indian-fighter/

• Like 3

George A. Romero, 'Night of the Living Dead' creator, dies at 77-

"Legendary filmmaker George A. Romero, father of the modern movie zombie and creator of the groundbreaking “Night of the Living Dead” franchise, has died at 77, his family said.

Romero died Sunday in his sleep following a “brief but aggressive battle with lung cancer,” according to a statement to The Times provided by his longtime producing partner, Peter Grunwald. Romero died while listening to the score of one his favorite films, 1952’s “The Quiet Man,” with his wife, Suzanne Desrocher Romero, and daughter, Tina Romero, at his side, the family said....

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-me-george-romero-20170716-story.html

• Like 4

Martin Landau, Legendary ‘Ed Wood’ and ‘North by Northwest’ Actor, Dies at 89-

"Martin Landau, a screen giant who brought his one-of-a-kind talents to Hollywood for more than 60 years, has died at 89. TMZ first reported the news, stating that the actor died yesterday of “unexpected complications” after briefly being hospitalized at UCLA Medical Center.

Landau won a richly deserved Academy Award for his role as Bela Lugosi in Tim Burton’s “Ed Wood,” having previously been nominated for both “Crimes and Misdemeanors” and “Tucker: The Man and His Dream”; he also had three Golden Globes, six Emmy nominations, a BAFTA nod and several lifetime achievement awards to his name.......

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/07/martin-landau-dead-dies-ed-wood-1201856034/

• Like 6