Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Death Takes No Holiday -- The Obituary Thread

Maria Rohm (August 13, 1945 - June 18, 2018) - Austrian actress who specialized in exploitation film, primarily during the 1960's and 1970's. Among her credits are The Vengeance of Fu Manchu (1967), The House of 1000 Dolls (1967), The Blood of Fu Manchu (1968), The Girl from Rio (1968), 99 Women (1968), Marquis De Sade's Justine (1969), Venus in Furs (1969), The Bloody Judge (1970), Count Dracula (1970), Call of the Wild (1972), and Ten Little Indians (1974). 

rohm_maria_1.jpg

• Thanks 1

Deanna Lund (May 30, 1937 - June 22, 2018) - American actress best know for her role on the TV series Land of the Giants (1968-1970). She had minor roles in films such as Dr. Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine (1965), Dimension 5 (1966), and Tony Rome (1967) before landing her co-starring role in Irwin Allen's science fiction series Land of the Giants. After the show she continued to act, appearing in other minor films and on TV in shows such as General Hospital. She was married to Land of the Giants co-star Don Matheson for a time, and was later briefly engaged to Larry King.

220px-Deanna_Lund_1968.jpg

deanna-lund-land-of-the-giants.jpg?crop=

• Thanks 2
1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

Deanna Lund (May 30, 1937 - June 22, 2018) - American actress best know for her role on the TV series Land of the Giants (1968-1970). She had minor roles in films such as Dr. Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine (1965), Dimension 5 (1966), and Tony Rome (1967) before landing her co-starring role in Irwin Allen's science fiction series Land of the Giants. After the show she continued to act, appearing in other minor films and on TV in shows such as General Hospital. She was married to Land of the Giants co-star Don Matheson for a time, and was later briefly engaged to Larry King.

220px-Deanna_Lund_1968.jpg

deanna-lund-land-of-the-giants.jpg?crop=

Didn't realize she was that old. How time flies. I remember also seeing her on at least one episode of "Stump the Stars." I remember because she was wearing a low-cut short dress. I recall her from "General Hospital," playing Don Matheson's secretary or some "similar" position. They were carrying on while Matheson's character was romancing Denise Alexander.

Richard Greenberg, the versatile graphic designer who created the memorable main title sequence for the 1978 blockbuster "Superman," has died at the age of  71. His death on June 16, 2018 was the result of a burst appendix at a New York City hospital.

The Chicago product formed R/Greenberg Associates in 1977 with his younger brother Robert. In addition to "Superman," the firm also created the main title designs for such films as "Alien," "The World According to Garp," "Altered States," "Dirty Dancing," "Death Becomes Her" and "The Untouchables." He also did visual effects work for the movies "Predator" and "The Devil’s Advocate."

The Greenberg brothers shared a 1987 Academy Award nomination for Best Visual Effects with Stan Winston and Joel Hynek for their collaboration on "Predator." The Oscar went to the team from "Innerspace."

Greenberg also directed the 1989 feature film "Little Monsters," a family comedy starring Fred Savage, Howie Mandel and Daniel Stern. 

In the 1990s, Greenberg and Bruce Schluter co-founced the firm Greenberg/Schluter, which designed the main titles for "Bram Stoker's 'Dracula,' " "Independence Day." the "Lethal Weapon" franchise and "The Matrix."

Saul Bass, the legendary master of main title design, once said of Greenberg: "The fact is, he’s the only guy around whose work I wish I had done.”

Image result for richard greenberg

In "Superman," the whooshing titles that flew across an outer space background blended perfectly with the rousing theme music from John Williams' Oscar-nominated score. Like the visual effects in Richard Donner's film, the opening sequence was created without the use of computer generated images.

• Thanks 3

Robby Muller (April 4, 1940 - July 4, 2018) - Dutch cinematographer who worked with some of the world's more offbeat directors. He began his career in collaboration with German director Wim Wenders on 1970's Summer in the City. They would go on to work together on 10 more films, including The American Friend (1977) and Paris, Texas (1984). Muller also worked several times with director Jim Jarmusch, including on Down By Law (1986), Mystery Train (1989), Dead Man (1995), Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai (1999), and Coffee & Cigarettes (2003). Other noteworthy films on Muller's resume include Repo Man (1984), To Live & Die in L.A. (1985), Breaking the Waves (1996), Dancer in the Dark (2000), and 24 Hour Party People (2002). Despite his illustrious career of international acclaim, he was never nominated for an Oscar, which has to go down as one of the more glaring oversights in that category's history.

8c3d5341-7747-4417-b41f-aa16bc2c497a?wid 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Derrick O'Connor (January 3, 1941 - June 29, 2018) - Irish character actor of film and television. His screen career began in British TV during the late 1960's. He appeared in three films from director Terry Gilliam: Jabberwocky (1977), Time Bandits (1981), and most substantially Brazil (1985). Perhaps his best know role was as a ruthless South African killer in 1989's Lethal Weapon 2. Other major film appearances include Hawk the Slayer (1980), Hope and Glory (1987), How to Make an American Quilt (1995), Deep Rising (1998), and Daredevil (2003), with a total of 71 TV and movie credits over a 47 year career.

pieter_vorstedt_3_png_800x450_crop_upsca

108588628_a02e2f75e2_o.jpg

• Thanks 2

O'Connor's sinister South African operative in "Lethal Weapon 2" had a couple of memorable confrontations with Mel Gibson's loose cannon character, Martin Riggs. Danny Glover co-starred as Riggs' LAPD partner Roger Murtaugh.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Derrick O'Connor (January 3, 1941 - June 29, 2018) - Irish character actor of film and television. His screen career began in British TV during the late 1960's. He appeared in three films from director Terry Gilliam: Jabberwocky (1977), Time Bandits (1981), and most substantially Brazil (1985). Perhaps his best know role was as a ruthless South African killer in 1989's Lethal Weapon 2. Other major film appearances include Hawk the Slayer (1980), Hope and Glory (1987), How to Make an American Quilt (1995), Deep Rising (1998), and Daredevil (2003), with a total of 71 TV and movie credits over a 47 year career.

pieter_vorstedt_3_png_800x450_crop_upsca

108588628_a02e2f75e2_o.jpg

I remember him most as the racist killer in LETHAL WEAPON 2. I've probably seen him in other stuff but that is the role I most remembered him for. 

As nasty as the guy was, you have to say you have to have something going for ya if you can kick the snot out of Martin Riggs.

1 minute ago, jakeem said:

O'Connor's sinister South African operative in "Lethal Weapon 2" had a couple of memorable confrontations with Mel Gibson's loose cannon character, Martin Riggs.

Always loved that comeback line of Murtaugh's (Danny Glover) after he puts a bullet in the head of the head honcho racist...."It's just been revoked!".

• Like 1

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/jul/04/robby-muller-cinematographer-down-by-law-paris-texas-dies-wenders

Robby Müller, cinematographer of Down by Law and Paris, Texas, dies aged 78

Müller rose to venerated status in the film industry with sublime work for Wim Wenders, Jim Jarmusch and Lars von Trier

4148.jpg?w=620&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&f

Celebrated cinematographer Robby Müller, best known for his work on films by Wim Wenders, Jim Jarmusch and Lars von Trier, has died at 78. Dutch publication Het Parool reports that he died at his home in Amsterdam, after several years of vascular dementia which left him unable to talk or move independently.

In a Twitter post Jarmusch said: “We have lost the remarkable, brilliant & irreplaceable Robby Müller. I love him so very much. He taught me so many things, & without him, I don’t think I would know anything about filmmaking.”

Born in Curaçao (then part of the Netherlands Antilles) in 1940, Müller was described in the Guardian as “one of the greatest film artists of the last half-century”. After studying at the Netherlands Film Academy, Müller was apprenticed to cinematographer Gerard Vandenberg and worked as a camera assistant on a number of his features in Holland and Germany. Müller graduated to director of photography on short films – one of which, Alabama (2000 Light Years) was for a Munich Film School student called Wim Wenders.

DICIs8kK_bigger.jpgJim Jarmusch @JimJarmusch
FollowFollow @JimJarmusch
More

We have lost the remarkable, brilliant & irreplaceable Robby Müller. I love him so very much. He taught me so many things, & without him, I don't think I would know anything about filmmaking. R.I.P. my dear friend Robby #RobbyMüller

8:08 AM - 4 Jul 2018
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Roger Perry (May 7, 1933 - July 12, 2018) - Character actor and occasional leading man in television and film from the 1950's through the 2000's. After a stint in the Air Force, Perry pursued acting, making his TV debut in 1959 in an episode of Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, as well as making his movie debut in 1959's The Flying Fontaines. His prime years were in the 1960's and 1970's, during which he appeared in dozens of TV episodes, including The Alfred Hitchcock HourThe Andy Griffith ShowStar Trek, and many more, including co-starring or recurring roles in Harrigan and Son (1960-1961), Arrest & Trial (1963-1964), and The Facts of Life (1981-1983). He also appeared in a handful of movies, including featured roles in the two Count Yorga horror films. Perry amassed 96 credits in his career.

3e1d58313d40ba79a7bdf746fc4dcf5a2c41a61e

• Thanks 1

Stan Dragoti (October 4, 1932 - July 13, 2018) - Director of film and commercials. He directed six feature films in his career: Dirty Little Billy (1972), Love at First Bite (1979), Mr. Mom (1983), The Man with One Red Shoe (1985), She's Out of Control (1989), and Necessary Roughness (1991), none of which garnered much critical notice, but a few of which have gained a cult following over the years. He was married for 9 years to actress Cheryl Tiegs.

7_30_79_750x1000.jpg?w=450&w=700&q=85

Robert Wolders (9/28/36 - 7/12/18) 

He was Audrey Hepburn's companion during the last decade of her life.  He was also companion to Henry Fonda's widow, Shirlee.  Wolders was also married to Merle Oberon.

I mostly remember him as the attractive skiing instructor whom Mary Richards dates on Mary Tyler Moore.  Mary meets Wolders and is instantly taken in by his good looks.  She discovers that they have nothing in common, but still keeps dating him because of his looks.  Throughout the episode, Mary is conflicted that she's involved in a shallow relationship.

https://people.com/movies/audrey-hepburns-last-love-robert-wolders-dies-at-81/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
4 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

He was Audrey Hepburn's companion during the last decade of her life.  He was also companion to Henry Fonda's widow, Shirlee.  Wolders was also married to Merle Oberon.

I mostly remember him as the attractive skiing instructor whom Mary Richards dates on Mary Tyler Moore.  Mary meets Wolders and is instantly taken in by his good looks.  She discovers that they have nothing in common, but still keeps dating him because of his looks.  Throughout the episode, Mary is conflicted that she's involved in a shallow relationship.

robertwolders.jpg

• Thanks 2
1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

Roger Perry (May 7, 1933 - July 12, 2018) - Character actor and occasional leading man in television and film from the 1950's through the 2000's. After a stint in the Air Force, Perry pursued acting, making his TV debut in 1959 in an episode of Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, as well as making his movie debut in 1959's The Flying Fontaines. His prime years were in the 1960's and 1970's, during which he appeared in dozens of TV episodes, including The Alfred Hitchcock HourThe Andy Griffith ShowStar Trek, and many more, including co-starring or recurring roles in Harrigan and Son (1960-1961), Arrest & Trial (1963-1964), and The Facts of Life (1981-1983). He also appeared in a handful of movies, including featured roles in the two Count Yorga horror films. Perry amassed 96 credits in his career.

3e1d58313d40ba79a7bdf746fc4dcf5a2c41a61e

Roger Perry co-starred on the delightful series "Harrigan and Son" starring Pat O'Brien. It was probably a one-season wonder, but it was fun seeing a TV show opening and closing with a George M Cohan song in the early sixties.

14 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I hadnt heard about this. How sad. He didnt have much of an entertainment resume, but was involved with some glamorous women. Merle Oberon (until her death). Audrey Hepburn (until her death). Shirlee Fonda.......

14 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

robertwolders.jpg

Cant People get anything right? Interval was MERLE OBERON'S last picture. NOT Audrey Hepburn's! They made the mistake TWICE!

• Thanks 1
13 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Roger Perry co-starred on the delightful series "Harrigan and Son" starring Pat O'Brien. It was probably a one-season wonder, but it was fun seeing a TV show opening and closing with a George M Cohan song in the early sixties.

WOW. I didnt realize he was that old. I remember him from many 60s tv shows. He had beautiful eyes. Very handsome. :(

2 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Cant people get anything right? Interval was MERLE OBERON'S last picture. NOT Audrey Hepburn's! They made the mistake TWICE!

All I did was post a picture of the guy to supplement speedracer's post. I hadn't read the linked article, but yeah, they definitely got it wrong...twice. Great journalism, People magazine!

12 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

All I did was post a picture of the guy to supplement speedracer's post. I hadn't read the linked article, but yeah, they definitely got it wrong...twice. Great journalism, People magazine!

LOL. Sigh. They make it sound like he and Oberon were only together for 4 years. They were together for some time before they actually got married.

Yvonne Blake (1940 - July 17, 2018) - British-born Spanish costume designer. She won the Best Costume Design Oscar in 1972 for Nicholas & Alexandra, and was also nominated for The Four Musketeers (1974). Among her other credits are Jesus Christ Superstar (1973), The Three Musketeers (1973), Robin and Marian (1976), The Eagle Has Landed (1976), Superman (1978), Superman II (1980), Flesh + Blood (1985), The Return of the Musketeers (1989), What Dreams May Come (1998), and Goya's Ghosts (2006). She amassed 56 credits in her career.

427b_845x485p.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Shinobu Hashimoto (April 18, 1918 - July 19, 2018) - Japanese screenwriter who frequently worked with director Akira Kurosawa. Among Hashimoto's screenwriting credits are Rashomon (1950), Ikiru (1952), Seven Samurai (1954), I Live in Fear (1955), Throne of Blood (1957), The Hidden Fortress (1958), The Bad Sleep Well (1960), Harakiri (1962), Samurai Assassin (1965), The Sword of Doom (1966), Samurai Rebellion (1967), Samurai Banners (1969), and Dodes'ka-den (1970). 

20140418-shinobuhashimoto.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1