Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Death Takes No Holiday -- The Obituary Thread

I'm sure David Letterman was especially sad to hear of John Witherspoon's passing, as Letterman would become a close friend of his from early on in their old standup days together, and would make numerous appearances on Letterman's talk show over the years, and even when Witherspoon would have nothing to plug.

• Like 1

Note that jazz guitarist Eddie Duran,  passed on November 22nd.      

He lived in San Francisco.       I assume most don't know about him,  but have likely heard him.

He was the guitarist on the Vince Guraldi recordings.      (the pianist best know for playing the music on A Charlie Brown Christmas,,,,   the Snoopy song).

• Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Dargo said:

I'm sure David Letterman was especially sad to hear of John Witherspoon's passing, as Letterman would become a close friend of his from early on in their old standup days together, and would make numerous appearances on Letterman's talk show over the years, and even when Witherspoon would have nothing to plug.

It’s weird because our local comedy club had announced Witherspoon coming to do a show about 3 days before he passed away. He & Dave were close plus I think they came up in the clubs about the same time. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Edd "Kookie" Burns, teen idol of the late 50s via 77 Sunset Strip, passes away at 87.....

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/edd-kookie-byrnes-dead-87-grease-77-sunset-strip-1203462364/

Thanks for mentioning this.         Edd was one cool cat.     Some of the best hair in the business.

R.I.P.   

image.jpeg.3bc682166ad28c5217419ffb3f2acb21.jpeg

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, CinemaInternational said:

Edd "Kookie" Burns, teen idol of the late 50s via 77 Sunset Strip, passes away at 87.....

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/edd-kookie-byrnes-dead-87-grease-77-sunset-strip-1203462364/

32 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Thanks for mentioning this.         Edd was one cool cat.     Some of the best hair in the business.

R.I.P.   

image.jpeg.3bc682166ad28c5217419ffb3f2acb21.jpeg

I was one of Kookie's most ardent and probably also one of his youngest fans.

I collected everything Kookie, including records, magazines and TV Guides with him on the cover.

I languished in mourning when he got married, but I managed to survive somehow. LOL

He was a real pop phenomenon, a real Teen Idol and the ginchiest guy on TV.  

77 Sunset Strip-- SNAP-SNAP.....

• Like 2

I remember what a treat it was when my parents let me stay up to watch 77 Sunset Strip on Friday nights. I loved Kookie! LOL. I remember the hit single too, Kookie, Lend Me Your Comb!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another death to report, but this one was actually a while ago: this week last year to be exact. The hollywood Reporter just published a long extended article about the search to find out about a missing Oscar nominee of the past, 1969 nominee Catherine Burns, nominated for Last Summer. It was hardly the most seen film, but it left a big impression on those who saw it. Aside from that film though, she only appeared in two other films: Me Natalie (which will be released on DVD/Blu-Ray this summer) and Red Sky at Morning, the latter with her Last Summer costar Richard Thomas.  She also made a handful of guest spots on TV including The Waltons, Love American Style, Emergency, Cannon, Medical Center, Adam-12, The Mod Squad, The bionic Woman, and police Woman. She then completely left the business behind, not impressed with it in the least. Death came quietly on February 2, 2019, the result of a fall, though cirrhosis was also a factor. She was 73.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/catherine-burns-inside-50-year-disappearance-an-oscar-nominee-1275646

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7
  • Sad 1
6 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Another death to report, Oscar nominee of the past, 1969 nominee Catherine Burns...

What an interesting and, yes, extremely sad story.  Another example of why happiness a such a fragile emotion.

It has not been a good time for Burnses. Jack Burns passed away on January 27, 2019 at age 86. For a brief time

he was a comedy duo with George Carlin and for a longer time with Avery Schreiber. He didn't do too many

movies, and was mostly on TV. He may be best remembered for his role as Deputy Warren in The Andy Griffith

Show. He took over after Don Knotts left the show, but Warren, with Burns' catchphrase huh...huh,...huh, didn't

last too long. He only appeared for 11 episodes in the 1965-66 season. His later career was mostly behind the

cameras. 

MV5BMTA3MTU1MjY0NzVeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU4MDMx

• Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Vautrin said:

It has not been a good time for Burnses. Jack Burns passed away on January 27, 2019 at age 86. For a brief time

he was a comedy duo with George Carlin and for a longer time with Avery Schreiber. He didn't do too many

movies, and was mostly on TV. He may be best remembered for his role as Deputy Warren in The Andy Griffith

Show. He took over after Don Knotts left the show, but Warren, with Burns' catchphrase huh...huh,...huh, didn't

last too long. He only appeared for 11 episodes in the 1965-66 season. His later career was mostly behind the

cameras. 

Yes, I read about his death last week, I think. I also remember him for the short-lived Fridays sketch comedy show. He got into a (staged) dust-up with Andy Kaufman in one episode that everyone thought was real for many years.

11 hours ago, Vautrin said:

cameras. 

MV5BMTA3MTU1MjY0NzVeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU4MDMx

I didn't know he had died! I liked him on that show (I know many didn't).

21 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Another death to report, but this one was actually a while ago: this week last year to be exact. The hollywood Reporter just published a long extended article about the search to find out about a missing Oscar nominee of the past, 1969 nominee Catherine Burns, nominated for Last Summer. It was hardly the most seen film, but it left a big impression on those who saw it. Aside from that film though, she only appeared in two other films: Me Natalie (which will be released on DVD/Blu-Ray this summer) and Red Sky at Morning, the latter with her Last Summer costar Richard Thomas.  She also made a handful of guest spots on TV including The Waltons, Love American Style, Emergency, Cannon, Medical Center, Adam-12, The Mod Squad, The bionic Woman, and police Woman. She then completely left the business behind, not impressed with it in the least. Death came quietly on February 2, 2019, the result of a fall, though cirrhosis was also a factor. She was 73.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/catherine-burns-inside-50-year-disappearance-an-oscar-nominee-1275646

I remember watching "Red Sky at Morning" in my hometown theater as a kid.  I liked the movie, despite its sad ending.  I can't remember the last time I saw "Last Summer", but I seem to recall Burns' character getting dunked on by the other three cast members for much of the picture, and it was one of the reasons I didn't care for it so much.  Another viewing would certainly help to see if my perspective has changed since then.  According to moviecollectoroh's database, neither "Last Summer" nor "Red Sky at Morning" have been shown on TCM.  I think Desi Arnaz, Jr. was named the 'most promising new star' by some magazine or media outlet the year "Red Sky..." came out.  I thought he was good in it and was surprised he never had a more prominent career in pictures on the big or small screen.  I think Arnaz was also in "The Voyage of the Yes", which was a TV movie in the early 70's.  I remember liking that one too.

Last Summer actually did air on TCM several years ago (perhaps during Oscar month?), but I believe it was a censored, non-widescreen version.  Perhaps TCM could only acquire a TV edit.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Feego said:

Last Summer actually did air on TCM several years ago (perhaps during Oscar month?), but I believe it was a censored, non-widescreen version.  Perhaps TCM could only acquire a TV edit.

I thought so! I remember seeing it in the last 10 years on tv and what other station would be running it? I remember being underwhelmed by it (maybe because it was censored)

• Like 1
15 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Yes, I read about his death last week, I think. I also remember him for the short-lived Fridays sketch comedy show. He got into a (staged) dust-up with Andy Kaufman in one episode that everyone thought was real for many years.

I don't recall the Fridays sketch, though it was mentioned in the obit. I didn't see anything in the local paper

and only found out about it because it was mentioned on one of The Andy Griffith Show fan websites which

I look at once in a while.

6 hours ago, Hibi said:

I didn't know he had died! I liked him on that show (I know many didn't).

There seem to be many fans who never took to Warren, maybe because they thought no one could replace

Don Knotts and also because he was a rather annoying character. He was okay. I got more laughs out of

Howard Sprague and his mother than Warren. Andy Griffith said they thought the character would work

but he didn't and said it was his fault and not Jack Burns'.