Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Death Takes No Holiday -- The Obituary Thread

On 2/25/2020 at 11:25 AM, Hibi said:

So sorry to hear about Baby Peggy!

Just learned about her passing,  checked on to see how she's doing and found out she passed away on February at age of 101.

NOT ONE MENTION OF HER ON THE NEWS OR HERE!  (except your post)

She was the last living film star of the Silent Era of Hollywood  and mostly forgotten.

16 hours ago, hamradio said:

Just learned about her passing,  checked on to see how she's doing and found out she passed away on February at age of 101.

NOT ONE MENTION OF HER ON THE NEWS OR HERE!  (except your post)

She was the last living film star of the Silent Era of Hollywood  and mostly forgotten.

I think someone did mention it here, but I'm not sure where. (what thread).

• Thanks 1
On 11/24/2018 at 10:26 PM, jakeem said:

The Canadian-born actor Wayne Maunder, who starred in two 1960s television Westerns, has died at the age of 80. His death occurred on November 11 -- a little more than a month shy of his 81st birthday.

In the fall of 1967, Maunder starred in the ABC series "Custer," in which the actor portrayed the flamboyant 19th-century U.S. Army officer George Armstrong Custer (1839-1876). The drama, which co-starred Slim Pickens as Custer's chief scout California Joe Milner, was canceled after 17 weeks.

In 1968, Maunder resurfaced in the CBS Western series "Lancer," the story of a California rancher (Andrew Duggan) and his sons -- half-brothers played by Maunder and James Stacy. The series ran for two seasons.

Maunder's character, Scott Lancer, was the elder son of the patriarch played by Duggan. Director Quentin Tarantino apparently was a fan. His upcoming film "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" features Luke Perry as an actor named Scotty Lancer.

Image result for wayne maunder custer

Maunder and Stacy in "Lancer"

The primetime western Lancer was evidently the high-point of Wayne's career, as well as that of James Stacy, who appears next to him in the photo above.  Wayne went on to do the detective series Chase.  After that, he had a series of guest-starring roles,  and his very last onscreen appearance was a small role in Porky's. He apparently passed away in Brattleboro, Vermont , possibly of a heart-attack His wife and only son predeceased him quite a few years ago. James Stacy also passed away several years ago.  Lancer reruns can still be viewed on Youtube.

I used to live in Brattleboro and in all those years I never realized a TV star walked the same hilly

streets as I did. 

From Legacy.com

William "Billy" Hale

photo_032805_7702301_1_Photo1_cropped_20200620.jpgx?w=##WIDTH##&h=##HEIGHT##&option=##OPTION##

July 11, 1931 - June 10, 2020

Emmy Award-winning film and television director passed away in Woodland Hills, Calif.

Hale was born in Rome, Georgia to Alma and William Hale. As a college freshman, he worked as an announcer on an Atlanta television station. While watching movies on his night shift, he was inspired to become a film director. After graduating USC film school in Los Angeles, Hale's student film on the Watts Towers caught director George Stevens' eye. Stevens hired Hale to direct the second unit on The Greatest Story Ever Told, beginning a creative mentorship that propelled Hale's career.

In the mid-1960's, Hale began directing feature films and TV movies for Universal Studios. Among those films were How I Spent My Summer Vacation, which starred Robert Wagner, Peter Lawford, and Jill St. John. In a fan letter from a young Steven Spielberg praising Hale's film, Spielberg wrote, "I'd like to express how much I truly admire your masterful handling of the show. Each reel manifested itself as the work of sheer talent. I was totally beside myself in admiration of your tremendous dexterity in directing."

Other films and television shows Hale directed during that period were Journey To Shiloh, with James Caan, Michael Sarrazin, and Harrison Ford, Run For Your Life with Ben Gazzara, and numerous episodes of Night Gallery and Kojak. During the 1970's, Hale directed a string of successful television series, including The FBI, The Invaders, The Streets of San Francisco and Barnaby Jones.

He went on to direct several award-winning mini-series. Notable were Murder in Texas, Lace, People Like Us, and The Murder of Mary Phagan, winning a Peabody Award and a Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Limited Series (1988).

Among the many wonderful actors Hale directed were Helen Mirren, Jack Lemmon, Ava Gardner, Robert Mitchum, Eva Marie Saint, Omar Shariff, Sam Elliot, Angela Lansbury, Andy Griffith, Farah Fawcett and Michael Douglas.

Hale is survived by his wife, Trudy Hale of Virginia, and his daughter and son, Tempe and Charlie Hale of Los Angeles.

----

He was a good man. It was my pleasure to have known him, if only for a short time, in the last years of his life.

• Thanks 2

Brandis Kemp Dies: Actress For ABC’s ‘Fridays’ And ‘AfterMASH’ Was 76

https://deadline.com/2020/07/brandis-kemp-dies-actress-fridays-aftermash-was-76-obituary-1202982368/

Irwin Molasky, who developed the first hospital and mall in Las Vegas, remembered as ‘tremendous leader’

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2020/jul/04/irwin-molasky-who-developed-the-first-hospital-and/

• Thanks 1

Kelly Preston Dies of Breast Cancer at 57: 'She Was a Bright, Beautiful and Loving Soul'

https://people.com/movies/kelly-preston-dies-of-breast-cancer-at-57/

Swamp pop legend Rod Bernard dies

https://www.katc.com/news/iberia-parish/swamp-pop-legend-rod-bernard-dies

Original Fairport Convention singer Judy Dyble dead at 71

https://www.loudersound.com/news/original-fairport-convention-singer-judy-dyble-dead-at-71

• Thanks 1