Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Death Takes No Holiday -- The Obituary Thread

5 hours ago, SansFin said:

I very much hope that you do not take this in the wrong way but I do not consider the passing of a person completely unknown to me to be of sufficient importance to warrant inclusion on a site where I come to learn of things within a specific area of interest. I feel it dilutes the thread, the board and the forum at large to place such information in any place other than "Off-Topic-Chit-Chat" which is intended for non-movie/the-world-at-large information and discussion.

It is quite unlikely that I would ever be able to learn the person's name but whoever it was who installed the left lower control arm on my Chevy is of much more monumental importance to my life because their competence and attention to detail has prevented the loss of a wheel while driving eighty miles an hour in heavy traffic on the Interstate. It would truly sadden me to learn they came to an ignoble or painful end because they did in a small way make my life better.

The death of a self-promoting podcaster of dubious hygiene and so insulated in their cadre of followers that their name never wafted past me seems to me more of a Buddhist's concern for the sanctity of all life rather than a matter which should be brought to my attention when I am seeking news and information concerning those who make movies. You will think me a terrible person but I am no more saddened by it than I would be of hearing of the death of billions of microbes which lost the battle against a regimen of antibiotics.

I'm sorry for posting it.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

I'm sorry for posting it.

Do not be. I am stating my opinion and my opinion only. The lack of reactions to my post indicate that I may very well be the only person who feels this way concerning the matter. I am usually quite out of step with the tastes and viewpoints of other users here and this may very well be yet another instance of that.  

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, SansFin said:

Do not be. I am stating my opinion and my opinion only. The lack of reactions to my post indicate that I may very well be the only person who feels this way concerning the matter. I am usually quite out of step with the tastes and viewpoints of other users here and this may very well be yet another instance of that.  

You're not the only one who feels that way concerning this. I agree with you, Sans.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
5 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

And I thought that it would be a familiar person, but I guess not.

Mikaela, I don't think (though I could be wrong) that's it's about familiarity. I think it's about whether the person is in the film/theater/television industry.  I think it's important that lesser known names are acknowledged. We who frequent this site care about them in a way the world at large perhaps does not. 

As for me, as I've said before, I don't like this particular thread and will not post someone's passing here; I think it's disrespectful to lump them all together. I think all those in the industry should get their own thread. 

Considering the variety of threads that people post, I'm surprised at the complaints about the obit posts!

And of course, threads, like people, do fade away. If you aren't interested in a thread, it may fade into oblivion; at any rate, you don't need to look at them.  I myself (to get to a more prosaic topic) am not a fan of the promiscuous creation of new games in the "Games" section. But of course I have the option to avoid them.

• Like 3
On 7/26/2020 at 3:34 PM, MikaelaArsenault said:

I didn't realize Paula Kelly had died in February of this year.  I always liked her. ~RIP

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

I didn't realize Paula Kelly had died in February of this year.  I always liked her. ~RIP

Paula was a wonderful dancer. It was very tragic that in the last few Decades of the 20th century that talented well- trained dancers like her didn't have a lot a lot of opportunities to work in the movies.

• Thanks 2

Jacqueline Scott, Actress in 'The Fugitive' and 'Charley Varrick,' Dies at 89

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/jacqueline-scott-dead-actress-fugitive-charley-varrick-was-89-1304712

‘Fugitive,’ ‘Charley Varrick’ actress Jacqueline Scott dead at 89

https://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/ny-jacqueline-scott-obit-20200728-posvaipmv5ggpkta34dbtk5rxi-story.html

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, yanceycravat said:

Wilford Brimley, an actor and a Quaker Oats pitchman, dies at 85

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/02/entertainment/wilford-brimley-actor-dies/index.html

This is sad to read about. He had several ailments and had kidney disease for two months along with several medical issues.

He was also on dialysis.

On 8/1/2020 at 8:26 PM, Wayne said:

Sonia Darrin, actress in The Big Sleep and mother of child star Mason Reese, has died at the age of 96.  She passed on July 19, 2020.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/sonia-darrin-dead-femme-fatale-bogarts-big-sleep-was-96-1304982

Sonia Darrin.jpg

Absolutely loved Sonia Darrin in "The Big Sleep"!  I was always bothered by the fact that she had such a prominent role in the movie, but had no screen credit.  Then again, she only had screen credits for about 10 films in her career, according to IMDB, and she appeared in more productions than that.  I wonder why that was...her choice, maybe?