Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Death Takes No Holiday -- The Obituary Thread

A few weeks back The Economist featured Olivia de Havilland on their Obiturary last-page:  The ingenue who roared.

Discussing her years at Warner Brothers it said:

WB had one great dramatic actress, Bette Davis,  and two ingenues, one blonde and one brunette.    She was the brunette.

So show was WB's  blonde ingenue?     I assume Alexis Smith,   since the other "major" actresses WB had under contract,  while Olivia was under contract,  were Ida Lupino and Ann Sheridan.       Stanwyck would make films for the studio but she wasn't under a fixed term 7 year contract (the type Olivia ended up suing over).

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

A few weeks back The Economist featured Olivia de Havilland on their Obiturary last-page:  The ingenue who roared.

Discussing her years at Warner Brothers it said:

WB had one great dramatic actress, Bette Davis,  and two ingenues, one blonde and one brunette.    She was the brunette.

So show was WB's  blonde ingenue?     I assume Alexis Smith,   since the other "major" actresses WB had under contract,  while Olivia was under contract,  were Ida Lupino and Ann Sheridan.       Stanwyck would make films for the studio but she wasn't under a fixed term 7 year contract (the type Olivia ended up suing over).

Anita Louise maybe? (At least in the 30s) Jane Wyman was a blonde in her early films, but she was merely supporting in most of her early films. I guess you could also go with Joan Blondell, even though WB mostly put her in comedies, not dramas.

46 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

So show was WB's  blonde ingenue?     I assume Alexis Smith,   since the other "major" actresses WB had under contract,  while Olivia was under contract,  were Ida Lupino and Ann Sheridan. 

42 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Anita Louise maybe? (At least in the 30s) Jane Wyman was a blonde in her early films, but she was merely supporting in most of her early films. I guess you could also go with Joan Blondell, even though WB mostly put her in comedies, not dramas.

Could be Glenda Farrell, too.

Despite winning 2 Best Actress Oscars, living to be 104, last surviving cast member of *GWTW The press hardly mentioned her demise  DE HAVILLAND?

45 minutes ago, spence said:

Despite winning 2 Best Actress Oscars, living to be 104, last surviving cast member of *GWTW The press hardly mentioned her demise  DE HAVILLAND?

Guess it depends on what press one follows;   The press I subscript to,  Los Angeles Times and The Economist,  gave her a lot of coverage.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, sagebrush said:

Could be Glenda Farrell, too.

This is one definition: The ingénue is a stock character in literature, film and a role type in the theater; generally a girl or a young woman who is endearingly innocent. Ingénue may also refer to a new young actress or one typecast in such roles.

That doesn't sound like either Glenda Farrell or Joan Blondell.    It does fit Anita Louise,  but she wasn't a very big WB star.

PS:  Joan Leslie fits the ingenue definition. 

Anyhow,  I do wonder who the author was referring to.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

This is one definition: The ingénue is a stock character in literature, film and a role type in the theater; generally a girl or a young woman who is endearingly innocent. Ingénue may also refer to a new young actress or one typecast in such roles.

That doesn't sound like either Glenda Farrell or Joan Blondell.    It does fit Anita Louise,  but she wasn't a very big WB star.

PS:  Joan Leslie fits the ingenue definition. 

Anyhow,  I do wonder who the author was referring to.

Bette Davis

10 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Bette Davis

Yea,  I assumed that Davis could be BOTH the great dramatic actress and the ingenue,  but if that is what was meant it was a poor choice of words and the use of "and two ingenues" (implies to me two OTHER people):

WB had one great dramatic actress, Bette Davis,  and two ingenues, one blonde and one brunette.  

Also Davis rarely played an ingenue on screen (based on the definition I found).

On 9/1/2020 at 12:28 PM, Bogie56 said:

Bette Davis is dead?

"There's nothing deader than a dead actor."  - DeForest Kelley

(Personally I think that phrase predates Kelley but couldn't find an earlier reference.)

• Haha 2
5 hours ago, nakano said:

Country singer Lucille Starr died on september 4th  She had a crossover hit with the French Song for A &M Records httpscanadian-country-music-icon-lucille-starr-dead-at-82

The URL that you posted was wrong, so here is the right one:

https://celebrityaccess.com/2020/09/07/canadian-country-music-icon-lucille-starr-dead-at-82/