Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Death Takes No Holiday -- The Obituary Thread

1 hour ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

The Fall and Rise... is currently running on my local PBS station, so I've been watching it.  Haven't really seen it since they ran it in the 1970s.  I didn't remember that Geoffrey Palmer had been in a supporting role on that show and was surprised when he showed up.  I was more familiar with him from his shows with Wendy Craig (Butterflies) and Judi Dench (As Time Goes By).

22 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I have 1-2-3 in my iTunes collection. It's definitely an earworm.

I remember my brother really liked "The Bristol Stomp".  He had that record.

Unfortunately, Len Barry will not be remembered so much for his voice as for his negative attitude against the British Invasion.

He ended up being the Anita Bryant of the British Invasion.

Every dog has his day oh, and he had his with The Dovells.

I really enjoyed that early 60s music. And Len Berry had a nice voice.

18 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Interesting. I haven't read anything about his anti-Brit invasion stance. Sounds a bit Sinatra and his whole sour grapes about Elvis and the other early rock & rollers.

The thing about it was that in the teeny bopper magazines that I read, no one would say anything bad about Elvis, of course. And the kids didn't care about Sinatra--so who would mention him anyway.

But there was a lot of anger amongst the pop artists who had controlled top 40 in the early 60s before the invasion. For some reason or another, Len Barry stuck his neck out and became a spokesperson for them.

I think ultimately it may have helped to end his career in the big time, although he had a few goods records after "1-2-3". But the times changed and his style became a thing of the past. Show Business trends move fast, even faster with youthful groups.

• Thanks 2